GliderCENTRAL

Fruits and Veggies

Posted By: Amanda159

Fruits and Veggies - 10/17/17 10:06 PM

I'm wondering if there is a website out there or if anyone has a chart of fruits and veggies? For example: These fruits are good every day, these fruits are good once a week, these fruits should only be used as treats etc etc and same with veggies
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/17/17 10:39 PM

Usually the diet plan you are on will tell you.

It's important keep to the 2:1 (calcium to phosphorus ratio). Unless you are looking for a f/v to use as a small treat. What diet are they on?

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/17/17 10:52 PM

I don't have a diet plan yet, I'm getting my first Sugar Glider soon so I'm just doing all my research and found there weren't very many guides out there

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/17/17 11:23 PM

Most people start them out on the diet the breeder had them on to bring them home. It's usually less stressful. You can click on the blue words and it will take you to the database or more info on that topic.

I was browsing around looking for the approved f/v list, still looking.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/18/17 01:15 AM

All of the salads on my website are a balance 2:1 ratio
You can find them here.

Please note, some of the diets such as BML have specific vegetables and fruits to feed with the diet plan. So please be sure to stick with it.

If you want to do your own you can find a chart for vegetables and fruits here
Just be aware, there is more than just the ca:p you need to be aware of...

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/20/17 12:04 AM

So from my research around this forum I've found the following fruits and veggies are good for Gliders, can you check them out and confirm please?

grapes
oranges (seedless right)
papayas
tangerines
pineapples
mangos
cantaloupe
bananas
kiwi
peaches
strawberries
blueberries
raspberries
cherries
Apples (Skin on or off?)

Frozen Peas (Do I thaw them first or feed frozen?)
Celery
Frozen Mixed Vegetables (Peas, Carrots, Green Beans, Corn)
Cabbage
Cuccumber (Skin on or off?)
Posted By: kidqwik

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/20/17 12:57 AM

I've heard fresh bananas may be bad cause they can clog a gliders digestive system since they don't digest easily. Peggy, can you confirm?

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/20/17 04:05 AM

All the fruits listed are glider safe.

Skin on is fine.

Be sure to remove seeds, or seedless:

Grapes
Apples
Any citrus

Seeds in cucumber is fine.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/20/17 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Amanda159
So from my research around this forum I've found the following fruits and veggies are good for Gliders, can you check them out and confirm please?

grapes
oranges (seedless right)
papayas
tangerines
pineapples
mangos
cantaloupe
bananas
kiwi
peaches
strawberries
blueberries
raspberries
cherries
Apples (Skin on or off?)

Frozen Peas (Do I thaw them first or feed frozen?)
Celery
Frozen Mixed Vegetables (Peas, Carrots, Green Beans, Corn)
Cabbage
Cuccumber (Skin on or off?)

Amanda, Peggy has given you a very complete list in her post right above yours. Just click on the links she has given.

Apples can be given with skin on. Doesn't matter.
Veggies can be given either frozen or thawed.
Cucumber - skin off or on, doesn't matter.
Oranges - I always removed the seeds.

Originally Posted By: kidqwik
I've heard fresh bananas may be bad cause they can clog a gliders digestive system since they don't digest easily. Peggy, can you confirm?

I have not heard this about bananas before. Some gliders like them, some do not. None of mine did.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/20/17 08:12 PM

I have never had an issue or heard of one with gliders eating bananas. Other than most don't like them unless they are either freeze dried or dehydrated.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/21/17 07:40 AM

Most don't? That's funny, mine will tear into them, all I have to do is slit a side open & they'll do the rest.

I always knew I have a weird bunch (no pun intended).

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/21/17 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Hutch
Most don't? That's funny, mine will tear into them, all I have to do is slit a side open & they'll do the rest.

I always knew I have a weird bunch (no pun intended).

There is usually no in between with bananas and gliders. They either love them or hate them. Glad your bunch loves them, Hutch. Bananas are full of good stuff, but probably should not be fed on a regular basis for gliders wink (Bananas 0.3:1 Ca:P Ratio)
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/21/17 06:00 PM

Yeah, no... they do not get them on a regular basis by any means. It one of the 'special treats' I cycle through to keep them spoiled, kind-of like the occasional corn-on-the-cob.

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/21/17 06:56 PM

:thumb2:
Posted By: Glamper

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/22/17 02:59 PM

No one has mentioned it yet, so thought I'd throw it in there.. AVOCADOS! OMG, my guys go nuts for them! It is not an everyday thing, but whenever I buy an avocado for myself, I always give them a few diced up pieces. They make very happy noises and gobble them up!

Re: Fruits and Veggies - 10/22/17 03:39 PM

Most gliders do love avocados, however, they are very high in fat, so as you mentioned, feed them as a treat not as part of their regular diet thumb
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL