GliderCENTRAL

Critterlove salad question

Posted By: alicat

Critterlove salad question - 03/16/19 04:34 PM

My girls pretty much refuse to eat the leafy greens. They will sometimes eat a little, but mostly pick at it. I have tried kale (several kinds) and arugula. Is there any substitute that they might like better?

Thanks!
Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

Re: Critterlove salad question - 03/16/19 05:35 PM

the printout I have lists about 5 different leafy greens. boy chow, parsley, watercress, dandelion greens etc.
but I have 8 gliders presently and they all pick around the greens mostly.

Re: Critterlove salad question - 03/16/19 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by BYK_Chainsaw
the printout I have lists about 5 different leafy greens. boy chow, parsley, watercress, dandelion greens etc.
but I have 8 gliders presently and they all pick around the greens mostly.
I have been giving them salad # 3, which just has kale as the greens. I also use arugula as a substitute. I was looking at salad #2, which looks like you are describing, and it has watercress. I haven't been able to find that in my stores. Is it in the produce section? It sounds like maybe gliders just don't like greens much.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Critterlove salad question - 03/16/19 06:26 PM

So mine rarely eat the leaf part of the kale, but sometimes eat the stalk. Having all parts of the kale, bok choy etc, present is a great thing. The juices from freezing will cause the juices to Leach out and absorb into the other fruit and vegetables. So the nutrients are there even though they aren't eating it.

Re: Critterlove salad question - 03/16/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ladymagyver
So mine rarely eat the leaf part of the kale, but sometimes eat the stalk. Having all parts of the kale, bok choy etc, present is a great thing. The juices from freezing will cause the juices to Leach out and absorb into the other fruit and vegetables. So the nutrients are there even though they aren't eating it.

That makes sense. I am glad mine aren't the only ones to turn their noses up to the greens smile

Thanks!
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Critterlove salad question - 05/11/19 09:24 PM

Sorry I have not responded sooner.

When it comes to the greens, please note, sugar gliders will indeed pick the greens up, including kale, chew it to get the nutrients out of it and spit it back out. With the greens you cannot tell this is being done.
I would never have believed it myself (my animal nutritionist told me this) if I had not caught my own gliders doing just that.

Sugar gliders generally do not consume everything on their plates like dogs and cats do. They masticate (chew and spit) most of their foods and do not eat the insoluble fibers.

Re: Critterlove salad question - 05/11/19 10:36 PM

Thank you, Peggy

I have noticed small bits of greens that have obviously been chewed and spit out. I was just curious because most of the greens are still on the plate in the morning. I am glad they are getting some of it anyway. I also noticed they do like the stems, as those are always gone.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL