GliderCENTRAL

Dietary suggestions for a newbie?

Posted By: CuratorXethia

Dietary suggestions for a newbie? - 07/18/19 03:25 AM

It really is true that there's a forum for everything; I love it.

anyway

I rescued a lil baby (Meeko) from a home that didn't really have the time and energy to put into him earlier this year. Since them I've been feeding him what the previous owner recommended: ExoticNutrition brand pellet food, a super worm (every other night,) Gliderade, and about 2 or 3 varying fruits and veggies every night along with dabs of honey for treats. He generally tends to ignore the pellet food entirely, however. After seeing what other folks gliders look like, I've noticed that my Meeko is a little bit of a chunker (just a lil bit.) He doesn't seem to be lethargic and certainly has no shortage of energy for running and climbing but I just wanna make sure I'm not making him fat and that being a tiny tubby isn't a severe health issue for him. Along with, I'm not exactly entirely sure what his diet is supposed to look like, I've sortof just been going off of instinct and google searches about what they can or cannot eat. I would love suggestions for a good balanced diet to feed to my Meeko that might also hopefully be somewhat low budget.

TLDR; What are some good fruits/veggies etc. to consistently feed a sugar glider who may be getting fat?
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Dietary suggestions for a newbie? - 07/18/19 11:42 AM

Welcome to Glider Central!

I would change his diet from exotic nutrition. I personally have never fed it, but there have been reports on glider deaths related to this diet. You can click on the blue word diet and it will take you to a database of all the diets for sugar gliders.

I have fed BML, OHPW, HPW, and I currently feed Critterlove plus and the recommended salads.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Dietary suggestions for a newbie? - 07/18/19 01:35 PM

I agree with the advice Dawn has given you.

Critterlove feeding plans are the best IMO. Critterlove Complete fed with her salads are the easiest, and will produce very healthy glider/s.

You can order a sample pack to see if your glider likes it and to get you started. She also sells the best pellets to leave in the cage for snacking.
Posted By: CuratorXethia

Re: Dietary suggestions for a newbie? - 07/18/19 03:19 PM

I can try some CrlitterLove when my current supply runs out, I couldn't find any information on the site about the salads to go with it though. And the pellets get from CritterLove too?
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Dietary suggestions for a newbie? - 07/18/19 05:09 PM

So on Critterlove.com , I struggle with manuvering their website since she changed it. I am it up to old person (me) can't figure out what/how she rearranged her menu options and since I only go to her website to order, I don't have it memorized. I Google Critterlove salad recipes and it will find it for me.

https://www.critterlove.com/salad-mixtures

I do use the pellets from her website too. Mine prefer fruity flavor.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Dietary suggestions for a newbie? - 07/19/19 01:07 AM

Dawn has given you the best information. Critterlove is the most tested diet out there. I have been feeding it since it was released to the community. My gliders have even participated in some of the testing.
Posted By: Misti

Re: Dietary suggestions for a newbie? - 08/15/19 07:30 AM

I’m new but I feed the pet glider diet. It’s what my breeder recommended and I’m really happy with it . It’s a little bit time consuming to make the recipe But i’m willing to spend the time because it’s very inexpensive. Do you buy the protein fruit and vegetables to make one months worth of food for two gliders usually cost less than $10 The vitamin supplements and dry kibble they sell to add to that it’s only $66 for a one year supply for two gliders. I do have a stock of the creator of love freeze dried salads for emergencies. I just like feeding my babies fresh food. In the summertime it doesn’t cost me anything because I get the majority of the ingredients from my garden and my chickens. Which probably means my glider to eat better than most people because it’s all organic And free range.

https://www.thepetglider.com/
Posted By: Claralice

Re: Dietary suggestions for a newbie? - 08/16/19 12:52 AM

I dont have time to put much effort into making food. I use critter love and then buy freeze dried salad makings. My gliders are super shiny and super healthy-all four! I believe it is their diet-at least a huge part of being so healthy!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL