GliderCENTRAL

Cage size

Posted By: lmw142

Cage size - 11/26/14 02:28 AM

Hi,

I recently adopted four sugar gliders from a friend of mine who could no longer care for them. They came with a cage, but it is very small (18"x18"x21"). I know that the absolute minimum recommended size is 30"x18"x36", but I would think that would be for one or two gliders, not four! So what are your opinions on cage size for four gliders?

Edit: Obviously I know that the bigger the better, but 2 of the gliders I adopted need to be neutered next week (there are two males and two females being housed together, and I definitely don't want to breed), and I also need to get them a better wheel, they have the Wodent Wheel now, which I have read is unsafe. With all that in mind, I don't have a ton of cash to spend on a new cage, but I definitely need to get them something larger.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Cage size - 11/26/14 02:42 AM

I have this cage: HQ Flight Cage

It would be ok for 4 gliders.
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Cage size - 11/26/14 05:13 PM

If you're any good at building, a PVC cage may be worth looking into. My bf and I built one. The biggest expense was the hardware mesh. PVC is cheap, Zip ties are not too bad, that's really all you need. Steve being the plumber/builder just haaaaad to prime and glue it together though, not recommended and it will throw off your measurements (how we ended up with a slightly crooked door). Oh well... It's a good cage and we made it to fit a specific space in the house.

Here is the link for a cage I think is the same, if not it's really close and still made by H/Q, but it's cheaper through Exotic Nutrition, unless you don't want to pay shipping which may or may not make the total price about the same as the one at PetCo. Just another option.
You could always check Craigslist, there are descent cages there from time to time, depending on your area. HTH

Re: Cage size - 11/28/14 10:24 PM

I may look into making a cage like you suggested. I've also been looking at the larger Martin's cages, because that's the style they are in now. If anyone has experience with those cages, I would appreciate input.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Cage size - 11/29/14 12:48 AM

Where are you in MI?
Posted By: mechnut450

Re: Cage size - 11/29/14 01:08 AM

we use the link below for our gliders and the one cage has 4 in it the other has 2. I want to acquire a 3rd one for rescues/frostering for future usage, if the need arises.

prever cage

Re: Cage size - 11/29/14 07:14 PM

Near Ann Arbor.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL