GliderCENTRAL

Yet another cage question

Posted By: Onyxwulf

Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 04:28 AM

Read through the forums for the most part and see lots of opinions about different cages. Space is not a concern for me. I am first time owner with my girls coming in early April (bought them from Priscilla at thepetglider.com).

Here is what I have seen:

Madagascar - Seems good lots of people buying them looks solid - http://www.exoticnutrition.com/masuglca.html
Suncoast - Lots of replies and looks solid - http://www.sugar-gliders.com/index.php?id_product=11&controller=product
Critter Nation - Good review link by Terry in one of the posts, but can't actually find the link, is this it (http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Critter-Na...=critter+nation)

I am thinking about getting the:
http://www.thepetglider.com/sugar-glider-habitats/product/12-luxury-highrise-cage.html
Seems like a good cage and comes from the breeder I am buying the girls from. Seems like a good starter cage for $159

But also am looking at:
http://goo.gl/xP9Rbl (couldn't get link to work grrr)
This seems really cool and really nice but don't know if it is worth the $250 to start?

I know I really can't go wrong with any of these and the bigger the better but just not sure and keep flopping.

We should start a who owns what kind of cage poll, if one hasn't been done in a while.

Thanks for any feedback.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 05:06 AM

The cage from Priscilla's web page is basically the same as the Brisbane Cage. It is a good choice for 2 or 3 gliders.

If you are thinking of this as a starter cage and plan to get a larger one in a few months, I would just go ahead and get the larger cage for your gliders.

I bought a cage that was much too small for my first gliders - and almost immediately saw their activity level required a larger cage. So I bought a large economy cage - the small slide up doors and a non-removable bottom grate making the cage hard to clean soon had me looking for another cage. I finally purchased a great large cage similar to the Congo or Large Sturdy cage (which were not options 8 years ago) and really wished I had gotten the large cage in the first place. For the combined cost of the first two cages, I could have gotten the Large cage and had a lot more to spend on spoiling my gliders with other toys and more pouches.

Gliders are not inexpensive pets - no need to make them so by buying a cage you will only use short term.
Posted By: SFLeBrun

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Onyxwulf

Madagascar - Seems good lots of people buying them looks solid - http://www.exoticnutrition.com/masuglca.html
Suncoast - Lots of replies and looks solid - http://www.sugar-gliders.com/index.php?id_product=11&controller=product
Critter Nation - Good review link by Terry in one of the posts, but can't actually find the link, is this it (http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Critter-Na...=critter+nation)

I am thinking about getting the:
http://www.thepetglider.com/sugar-glider-habitats/product/12-luxury-highrise-cage.html
Seems like a good cage and comes from the breeder I am buying the girls from. Seems like a good starter cage for $159

But also am looking at:
http://www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pag...ear-resort.html
This seems really cool and really nice but don't know if it is worth the $250 to start?

Of the two cages that you list, I like Large Sturdy Sugar Glider Cage HQ 13221E from Suncoast and the Midwest Critter Nation with Stand as the Suncoast cage. I could not find the one from sugargliderinfo.org; that URL came up as a 404 error.

What I like about the Suncoast cage is its size, especially its height. The Critter Nation cage does not provide the actual cage height. The height given includes the stand which is probably between 20 and 24 inches, making it about the same height with a bigger footprint. The big advantage that I see with the Critter Nation cage is that the wires run horizontally. This makes it much easier for you to find places to hang stuff. The cage I use has vertical wires and I have had to use cable ties to find the best place to hang one of the sleeping pouches and for positioning the water bottles.

Another advantage with the Critter Nation cage is the larger footprint. More floor space means more floor toys and stuff. I have an exercise wheel, ball pit and kitchen (feeding station) and wish I had more floor surface. My cage has a footprint of 30 inches by 18 inches with a inside height of about 52 inches.

Even though the Suncoast is closer to my cage in size and design, I would go with the Critter Nation, assuming floor space is not an issue. Just my 2 cents worth; I have had sugar gliders since July 2014.

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 05:30 AM

Great feedback so far thank you. I fixed the other link, for some reason it wouldn't copy.

You are right shouldn't make this more expensive then I need to but I don't mind starting with something then upgrading.

Though it seems to me that consensus is bigger is better. Don't have a problem with footprint right now.
Posted By: OcHavac

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 06:08 AM

I have been eying the same cages. my only concern with the critter cage is that the shelves appear to be solid. Is cleanup going to be difficult? Would a bottom tray be better?

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 06:09 AM

Agreed on the Critter Cage. It looks to be two separate cages stacked with a divider with a hole. That doesn't seem optimal.

Anyone actually own one?

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 06:26 AM

Just found this one too:
http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/sugar/
Posted By: SFLeBrun

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Onyxwulf

But also am looking at:
http://goo.gl/xP9Rbl (couldn't get link to work grrr)

This is a Pocket Pets cage. I bought my first sugar glider from them and the starter cage they sold me is too small to keep gliders in. I replaced it with a cage that is over 4 times the volume for $3.00 less. Basically, IMHO PP stuff is over priced and much of their information either a half-truth or false.

That being said, the cage you reference does not have any shelves which you will want to purchase seperately and the door is a bit flimsy though it is functional.

Note, anytime you hear the phrase "sugar bears", you are hearing from Pocket Pets or a group owned by them. They are the only ones that uses that term instead of Sugar Gliders. It is difficult to find factual information about the critters when you google "sugar bears".
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 03:03 PM

I would NOT purchase the "sugar bear" cage for a number of reasons.

First - I would not support Pocket Pets by buying their products or their gliders.

Second - Those cute little doors on the top of the cage would need to be zip tied shut anyway. They are potential escape hatches if the gliders get the latches open or if someone should forget to secure them. The larger door latches do not look secure to me either. It does not appear to have a removable bottom grate which along with the cage pan is the area that needs to be thoroughly scrubbed most frequently to remove stuck on food.

For the same price you can get the Congo Cage from Exotic Nutrition (currently on sale for less) and get a cage that is 3 inches deeper and 4 inches taller and has a removable, easily cleanable bottom grate. (same cage as the SunCoast Large Sturdy Cage)

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/costsuglca.html

I understand the Critter Nation cage is a popular one also. It can be assembled without the center shelf for a larger full cage space. This cage does not have a bottom grate at all over the cage pan so gliders would be running around in the cage pan along with the waste and food scraps. Some owners have zip tied the center shelf to the stand, under the bottom of the cage, to make a support for the cage pan so it can slide UNDER the bottom of the cage - but again, you still have to clean stuck on food scraps off the grate in place or take the entire cage out for a good hose down more frequently.

I scrub the cage pan and bottom grate at least weekly out side with the hose (or in the shower). I only clean the entire cage outside with the hose about every 2 months.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 04:36 PM

All the cages with the exception of the PP cage, I would say are good choices.

I have personal experience with both the Madagascar cage and the Large Sturdy from Suncoast. I love/d both cages.

You do have the correct link to the Critter Nation cage, the reviews I've read and photos shows this as a terrific cage choice that offers an incredible size for the money.

The Luxury Highrise cage looks like a nice cage as well, it's a little smaller than the the Brisbane from EN & the Sturdy HQ from Suncoast being it's not quite as deep and as wide, so has a bit smaller footprint.

In my opinion, I haven't seen a "perfect" cage out there, all the well made cages have both positive attributes and shortcomings of sorts.

I have no experience or have read much on the Martin's cages, but they may be good cages as well.

In my opinion, if space is not an option for you, even though the others are adequate for a pair, I'd go with either of larger ones: Tall Sturdy or Congo, or the Critter Nation cage.

I suggest looking into what you like to place in the cage and how you like to place with options to change things around and clean, think access and mobility of the cage. Then choose based on those attributes.

Good luck with your cage search and keep us posted on which you've chosen.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 06:18 PM

Ok, you have been given a ton of great info on cages. I will give my 2cents worth.

Keep in mind that gliders are aborative (likes trees) and like to be as high as possible. If you get a cage that is tall and is full length to the floor, the bottom floor may not be used very much.

I like to put toys like a Noahs Arc (thrift store find for $4 by fischer price) on the floor of the cage and fill with toys or balls. They love to explore! jump jump jump

Just my 2 cents worth.

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 06:24 PM

Dawn, my gliders love the floor, I offer a dish of f/v and various items,usually: a wheel on a floor stand, a large fake branch (either standing vertically or laying horizontally) for climbing and perching on, a floor toy such as a Noah's arc alternated every few weeks with a tree house, and on occasions, a play or ball pit. Now I also have a wheel about midway up, and offer activities such as toys through out the mid and upper levels as well as other servings of f/v and their staple nectar and water higher up. They still spend a majority of their waking time either on their wheels or on the floor area. Occasionally I'll see them higher up for other than eating & drinking.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 06:32 PM

Does your cage floor go all the way to the floor floor. Like the cage bottom sitting on the floor you stand on.? That's what I meant.

Some of the Martin's cages look like they sit on the floor. Or maybe you can sit them on something.

yeah I have stuff on the floor of both my cages, but the cages are off my floor. This time of year I would be concerned about drafts too.

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/22/15 07:10 PM

My cage is on a stand, so it doesn't sit on the floor. When I had them in a screened enclosure I had it sat on a table, so they've really not been on the floor, but neither the stand or table was that high of the ground, with the exception of the girl's first cage that was about the Brisbane size.

Yes Martin's cages, many home-made cages and Glide-arium cages usually are on the floor if not set on something, this may make a difference with my gliders, but I can't say for sure since they have all that space above them that they don't use as frequently when awake. I'm actually getting back into trying using shelves higher up now to provide a platform for them to hang around and utilize the entire cage more routinely. The upper feeding area is on a fleece bridge I have stretched taught, I don't think they care for it and do not linger up there long, and most of the time, they're perched on the dish when eating from it.

My apologies to the OP for getting way off topic about food placement and levels in cages. But at least you can use this input for what to try or not try to make your cage usable throughout.

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/24/15 10:32 PM

Thanks everyone. For now I decided to go with the cage from the breeder I am getting the gliders from. I will see how that works and then if needed I will upgrade to the Congo cage. For some reason it just feels right to start with the full package from the breeder. May not be the best solution but for now it will do. Kind of frustrated.

Seems like that Congo cage is the way to go and I will buy it as soon as it seems like I need it.

I will post pictures as soon as it gets here.!

Thanks again everyone.
Posted By: Chelly

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/25/15 03:57 PM

So happy you have decided on a cage!!!! Can't wait to see it :D

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/25/15 04:31 PM

Me too.

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/31/15 05:27 PM

Here it be...the first go.

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/31/15 05:35 PM

I have space for the wheel in the bottom right, it is just not here yet!
Posted By: darkmornings

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/31/15 05:43 PM

Thats a really nice set up. How long until your babies come?

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/31/15 05:46 PM

8 Days 7hours 14 minutes.

And yes, I am fricking counting and it is FRICKIN HARD to wait.
Posted By: darkmornings

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/31/15 05:51 PM

Lol, your excitment is contagious! Congratulations

Re: Yet another cage question - 03/31/15 11:02 PM

Looks great! It's so exciting isn't it?
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL