GliderCENTRAL

Help!! Cage Questions

Posted By: Brandon

Help!! Cage Questions - 03/25/15 12:21 AM

Hello,
I just got a cage for my sugar glider that I am picking up on 4/4
I wanted to get it early so I had lots of time to set it up.

I got this one:
http://kaytee.com/products/kaytee-my-first-home-30-x-18-multi-level-exotics.php

I got it for a few reasons;
Reasonably priced
Easy To Clean
Big for a young sugar glider.

I got it today put it together, and it looks nice!

But then I really take a look at it and see that the wiring has no coating on it.
No powder coating, nothing. Just shiny metal.
So I sent the company a message online asking if their cage has zinc, etc, in it.

So here are my questions;
Are metal cages with no coating on them automatically bad?

Can anyone recommend a coating that I could apply to the bars if it needs it? Would any non toxic metal coating work?

I really appreciate all of the answers, and I am excited to enter the world of sugar gliders. I just want to be prepared.

- Brandon
Posted By: Feather

Re: Help!! Cage Questions - 03/25/15 12:37 AM

I am not sure how long that cage will last you. Chances are it is going to rust pretty fast with a sugar glider climbing all over it.

I recommend this cage: HQ flight cage

Re: Help!! Cage Questions - 03/25/15 12:43 AM

Thank you for the response. I don't intend it to last forever, just as a smaller sized starter cage.
Do you think it will be safe for my glider?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Help!! Cage Questions - 03/25/15 12:47 AM

It will be safe until it starts to rust. Then you will have to replace it.

Re: Help!! Cage Questions - 03/25/15 12:55 AM

How can you be sure? Can it not have a zinc coating or something? I am not sure what to look for.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Help!! Cage Questions - 03/25/15 03:13 AM

I do not think it will have a zink coating - that would be hazardous for ANY animal housed in the cage. It probably has a clear epoxy type paint which would be gliders safe - but will not last long before it gets chipped and begins to rust.

You may want to remove the ramps and only use one or two of the shelves - all 3 take up a lot of the open cage space that gliders need for jumping around.

I am not sure how well the door latch will hold since it is only held in place by the tension of the bent wire slipped between the cage bars. It would be a good idea to put a clip of some type on it as extra security against it popping open when your gliders jump against the door.

Re: Help!! Cage Questions - 03/25/15 03:55 AM

Thank you. You put my mind to rest. I will put one shelf up top, and one close to the bottom, for food.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL