GliderCENTRAL

Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!!

Posted By: Dollfaise

Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 12:57 PM

It looks like I will be getting a little female sugar glider this weekend. I'm really excited but I'm scared to death! I've been researching their needs for at least a week now and when I was told I could have this little girl, my researching kicked into overdrive. I was up until 1:00am trying to figure out what she needs and I'm seriously afraid I will buy the wrong cage.

asvg.org mentioned the Jung-L-Gym but they had a recall several years ago. They also said to get epoxy coated cages but other resources have said powder coated is better. asvg also said PVC coated is good but I've also read that it's not. I gotta get a cage today or early tomorrow and I'm not sure what is safest for her. =(

I know the bars should be half an inch apart and she needs plenty of space but not too much since she's a baby. But the material the crate is made of/coated with is causing me a lot of anxiety.

TL;DR A lot of sources disagree on what sort of cage you should have, epoxy coated, powder coated, or pvc coated. Help. frown
Posted By: darkmornings

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 01:29 PM

Congratulations on your new baby girl! How old will she be? Are you getting her from a place that has more than 1 baby available so she will have furry company?

I do not have your answer but, i would also like to know,in case another new cage is in my future. Her age may affect the answer.

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 01:58 PM

Thanks! She is 11 weeks out of pouch. They don't have any others but once I get a bit more money after all the initial big purchases - mainly the cage - I would like her to have a pal. smile
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 03:06 PM

Don't listen to anything from "ASGV". Perfect Pocket Pets pays those vets to spread misinformation and promote their products like the heat rocks and small "bonding cages".

Powder coated cages are safe. If your glider is old enough to be separated from her parents she's old enough for a full size cage.
And gliders do NOT need heat rocks either. They can sustain their own body temperature and are comfortable in 70-(about)80 degree rooms. Preferably no cooler than 65 and no hotter than 85. A basic rule of thumb; If you're comfortable, they're comfortable.

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 03:30 PM

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! I wasn't sure about that site after I realized the vet video I had been watching was of a "vet" reading precisely from that website, literally word for word. And when I came across info about that recall I was like dude...how old is this BS? And why are you pushing a cage that was recalled?...

Oh I feel so much better, I've been worried all morning.

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 03:34 PM

If you click on PPP or ASGV it will take you to GliderCENTRAL's database about mill breeders and brokers and will tell you all their associated websites so that you can avoid them. Any website that lists sugar gliders as "sugar bears" is usually associated with PPP.

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 03:43 PM

Holy crap. That's unbelievable. Again thank you so much for sparing me the agony of possibly losing her over a stupid cage.

What about their claim that a 10 day health guarantee is standard?

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 03:54 PM

That I'm not sure about because I'm not a breeder but that seems really short for an animal that can live 10-15 years...

Anyways. I'm glad you feel batter about the cages. Maybe another owner will have an answer about the health guarantee.

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 04:07 PM

This woman has one breeding pair so that means no USDA license required. She hasn't seen a vet and has never given health guarantees before but agreed to the 10 days when I stupidly thought that made sense. Is this a bad idea? I've been looking for gliders but almost no one here has them. I've looked for ones to adopt and never receive a reply. Or they want $500 for the glider and that's way high for what I can plunk down at once. I found another woman who appears to be intentionally flying under the radar by keeping one less breeding pair than what would require licensing so I skipped her.

This then makes me wonder about general cost of feeding. I know they need variety and fruit and eggs are good but would this be an okay jumping off point right after I get her?
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 04:13 PM

Quote:
What about their claim that a 10 day health guarantee is standard?

That may be THEIR standard now, but they used to give no health guarantee. The catch is if your glider dies you would have to wait until their salesmen are in your area again to get a "replacement." Pocket Pets is all about impulse sales and gliders are their "Product".

Many reputable breeders will offer a health guarantee provided that you have the joey seen by a glider knowledgeable vet within the time set in the Breeder's adoption contract.

There is no 'official' standard for health guarantees. If you buy from a hobby breeder that does not have a written contract there probably would be no guarantee - but it is always best to have a new glider in your home seen by a vet for a well check up and fecal to make sure there are no parasite issues that would require medication.

If you have the option to get two gliders - take it.

Get the largest cage you will want for your glider to live in long term.

I made the mistake of getting a cage that was too small. Then I replaced it with a large but flimsy 'economy' cage with small slide up doors that prevented getting a wheel in and out of the cage. So within the first 6 months of owning gliders I purchased a great large powder coated cage for my gliders. If I had skipped the first two cages I could have saved that money (total about the same as the good cage) and bought the gliders additional toys and food.

Purchasing a second glider later is MUCH more expensive because you would need a second cage, wheel and all other equipment for a 30 day quarantine plus what ever time it takes to introduce the two gliders.

If getting two gliders together means delaying bringing home your first gliders for a month or so in order for you to save money to buy two glides AND a large cage that will be their home for many years it might be the best choice.

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 04:17 PM

This person seems like a hobby breeder. This is their 6th baby. I can find somewhere to have her vet checked but do you think buying from them is bad? They are 2 hours away but her ex husband is traveling into my area for a sporting event tomorrow and she asked if he would bring her; he agreed. They are asking $175.

Maybe I'll back out, I can't get a second one fast. frown
Posted By: darkmornings

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 04:54 PM

10 days to me is a huge guarentee. Thats more than enough time to get her to the vet of your choosing to make sure shes healthy. Her ancestory that you would probably get with the more expensive glider would give you more of a peace of mind and it would be more of a guarantee since youd know her dad isnt her grandpa too. Maybe super expensive vet tests would tell you that but it isnt the norm.

I have that jungle cage you mentioned. Xena had one when i got her. She hasa bigger one now and i was using it for a quarentine cage, for short periods of time. Another member has one and uses hers for a traveling cage. At $140, its not cheap and for a few dollars more you could get her a forever house. I just dont know if a tiny baby would hurt herself in so much space.

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 05:03 PM

The way it was explained was that if the baby is ready ill, 10 days is enough to see that illness manifest because they're so little it would move fast.

Mmm thinking hard on this. frown
Posted By: Feather

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/27/15 09:13 PM

This cage is popular, I have 6 of them. HQ Flight Cage

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/28/15 03:43 AM

I actually decided to cancel and wait for a pair to become available. I posted on another forum and a user was able to find a respectable rescue here and she just got 7 rescue babies in that will need homes in the next 8 or so weeks so I'm gonna wait. =)
Posted By: Terry

Re: Sources disagree on best type of cage; need help!! - 03/28/15 05:05 PM

That's a good plan! Getting two already together at first is a lot easier all around. This also gives you more time to get more stuff for them grin
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL