GliderCENTRAL

Thoughts on cage heaters/heat lamps?

Posted By: Philwojo

Thoughts on cage heaters/heat lamps? - 04/27/15 05:29 PM

We live in the Chicago area and I am not sure what we should do, if anything in terms of keeping our new girls warm.

I am going to get a cage cover for sure, and I know that will help keep some heat in, but I am doing that mostly to keep light out during the day.

In the winter we keep our house at about 60 during the day and then ramp it up to 68 while we are awake at night, then back down to 60 while we sleep. The problem for us is that the thermostat is on the 2nd floor and right now we have the gliders cage on the lower level. It is ground level, but it is probably 5-7 degrees colder down there compared to near the thermostat. In the summer we will probably keep it about 76-78 in the house during the day, but at night while we sleep, and the gliders are awake we will drop it to 72-74 when needed. Again, lower temps in the lower level by the cage since cold air sinks.

Any thoughts on using a cage heater like this one?

Link to web page with description of item.

I know I could also do a space heater, but not sure how much I like that idea.

Thanks for any input, just trying to do the right things for our new gliders.

Phil
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Thoughts on cage heaters/heat lamps? - 04/27/15 06:11 PM

I have a space heater for mine. It's got a digital theromstat, eco cycle and it oscillates. DeLongi Ceramic space heater is what I have. It's small but powerful(not too powerful though smile )
Posted By: Terry

Re: Thoughts on cage heaters/heat lamps? - 04/27/15 08:14 PM

A space heater with a thermostat is probably the best option. You can place it farther from the cage and not have a designated "hot spot" that would be achieved using the lamp clamp shown. Although the lamp clamp could keep the bulb from glider's reach, it does create a hot spot which could make that area, including the cage bars uncomfortable or even too hot. Also, if there were accidental slippage, it could prove dangerous for your gals. While the space heater, with thermostat can keep the ambient temp much more to their comfort level more safely.
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Thoughts on cage heaters/heat lamps? - 04/27/15 08:21 PM

agree And an oscillating on ensures one spot doesn't get too hot but gently warms the space in a sweeping pattern.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Thoughts on cage heaters/heat lamps? - 04/28/15 04:58 AM

Quote:
, but I am doing that mostly to keep light out during the day.

Actually gliders NEED light during normal day light hours to help regulate their internal clock and keep them on their normal nocturnal awake times.

If you keep the room dark during the daytime their schedules will be thrown off. They may not sleep well during the day and then will not be willing to come out and interact with you in the evenings or eat well over night.

As for the heater- a thermostat controlled space heater to keep the room they are in a comfortable temperature is better than trying to add a heat source that is localized to just the cage which may create hot spots.
Posted By: Philwojo

Re: Thoughts on cage heaters/heat lamps? - 04/28/15 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: CandyOtte
Quote:
, but I am doing that mostly to keep light out during the day.

Actually gliders NEED light during normal day light hours to help regulate their internal clock and keep them on their normal nocturnal awake times.

Thanks for the feedback on the cage cover. We are still going to go with that but I can keep the front flap open as needed, there is just a ton of light in the room(s) they will be in and there isn't any way to reduce that in those rooms. At least with the cage cover I will be able to control that more. I can still allow light in, but it doesn't have to be full sun all day long and it will help keep some of the warmth in the cage as well.

I am leaning away from the heat lamp I posted about as well, as that doesn't seem like a great option for our girls. We will just have to figure out what is best for them. I ordered a remote temperature sensor to hook up to an existing weather station I already have that I can put in/near their cage and it will log the temp for me on my computer so I can track it over time and see what will be best.

Thanks for all the feedback it has been very helpful.

Phil
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Thoughts on cage heaters/heat lamps? - 04/28/15 03:25 PM

The temperature is not so critical that it needs constant monitoring. If YOU are comfortable your gliders will be also. They adapt to their surroundings better than many folks give them credit for. If they are too cold the will snuggle together for warmth in a pouch. If they are too warm they will move to an open area of the cage to sleep.

As for the light, my 3 glider colonies are located in a sun porch with windows on 3 sides of the room. The cages are not located where they will get direct sunlight and heat through the windows but the room is bright all day long. They sleep well during the day and wake up about an hour after full sunset each evening.

The room connects to my family room and shares the home's AC/heat system. When we do have cold weather (I am in Florida) I have an oscillating space heater in their room placed about 6 feet from the cages. It is set to 70 degrees and cycles on whenever the room drops below that. During the summer I keep the thermostat set at 78 in the house because that is comfortable for me.

The cage cover will hold SOME, but not all, of the glider mess inside or close to the cage on the floor. I do not cover my cages because, for me, the covers seem to hold the cage odor and the reduce the ventilation through the cages.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL