GliderCENTRAL

product safety and getting gliders to use a wheel

Posted By: alixdor

product safety and getting gliders to use a wheel - 07/01/15 04:27 PM

Hello all,

I have 2 questions/seeking advice.

Firstly I recently purchased some custom cruisers for both my cages since they had the wodent wheels and I heard they were dangerous. Cage 1 boys were crazy about running on their wheels, and I would hear them ALL NIGHT LONG. Now I haven't seen them touch the wheel once. It's possible they are using it since it's so silent I could never tell but I haven't seen them and they do not seem like themselves, a bit sad and less active I find. How can I get them to use their wheel? Cage 2 I only recently saw one use her wheel and now with the new one it's back to the beginning. What should I do to help them see how awesome it is?

secondly, I have started making some home made glider toys. My kids and I are having a lot of fun being creative. I was wondering if there was a place we could send the toys to, photos of, or contact for testing on toys safety for the gliders? Also same for cages. I'm looking at making a big cage and wanted to know if I could send it or the material somewhere to be tested for safety? I was thinking of getting some wire meshing in Canada (Since everything from the US is so costly to ship) and building the cage, then I found a company in ottawa that does powder coating. I was thinking of having them powered coat the entire cage for me after it is built. What do you all think? Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to make any final decisions or expose my babies to anything without knowing for sure they will be safe.

Thanks again everyone, this site has been a true blessing in so many ways <3
Posted By: Philwojo

Re: product safety and getting gliders to use a wheel - 07/01/15 07:08 PM

I am no expert and I could be way off on this, but this is what I did when I recently went from the wodent wheel to a new wheel as well. I took some of their materials, like a pouch of fleece or anything with their scent on it and actually put it in the wheel for a time, but not in the cage. I figured since gliders can be so sensitive to smell that they might not like the smell of the new plastic and putting their scent on it might help.

Seems to have done the trick for our two girls at least, they seem to love their new wheel. Like you I had no idea if they were using it or not since it is pretty quiet compared to the wodent wheel. I have a web cam I have on their cage and I just looked at the footage of that from overnight a few days and saw they were both using it, so I am happy with that.

I can't help with your other question though.

Phil
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL