GliderCENTRAL

Stealth Wheel and Sandpaper

Posted By: TwoDog

Stealth Wheel and Sandpaper - 02/02/16 11:56 PM

Hey all...
Just a heads up. When I first brought Gizmo and Harley home, their little claws were so overgrown that they couldn't walk on fleece--or almost any other soft surface, without their feet sticking like velcro. Every step was work for them.
And of course there was NO way they were going to let me trim their nails.

Solution. Stealth Wheel with sandpaper around it--GETS IT DONE!

Their little toes are nicely manicured now and they get around with ease.

Just sayin...tried that and it worked well.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Stealth Wheel and Sandpaper - 02/06/16 12:22 AM

It works well for some people, but most find that it gets dirty and makes the cage smell.

I prefer to trim nails every couple of weeks. I have become someone of a pro at this and am usually found trimming glider nails at our local sugar glider get togethers.
Posted By: Mema

Re: Stealth Wheel and Sandpaper - 02/08/16 05:32 AM

Comrade what sandpaper do u use and how do u put it on. I have sandpaper on mine and still have to "try" and trim their nails every 1 to 2 weeks.
Posted By: TwoDog

Re: Stealth Wheel and Sandpaper - 02/08/16 12:17 PM

Hey there...
Actually it's just 80 grit from the hardware store.
After an initial inspection they don't seem to be gnawing on clawing at it.
The trick is to put it on the outside of the wheel with the abrasive part facing inward.

I just took a cutter and cut about 3 feet of strips, the same width as the mesh track of the wheel. Then using masking tape to tape the ends together.

If you have the stealth wheel, there's a convenient lip around the outside that the paper can slide under.

The goal is to get it *tight* around the wheel.

When they run, their little feet run mostly on the mesh and just their nails poke through and hit the sandpaper.

If you were to put the sandpaper on the inside, it would rub their feet raw very quickly.

I think I spent three bucks on the sandpaper and so far it looks like it's going to go quite a while before I have to change it.

Hope that helps.
Thanks
Dave
Posted By: nicoleejeanne

Re: Stealth Wheel and Sandpaper - 02/08/16 12:33 PM

I love the sandpaper too! My only issue with mine was that it absorbs pee and poo real easily. I was cleaning my cage the other day and for the life of me couldn't figure out why it still smelled so bad! Then I realized it was the sandpaper on the wheel...I almost gagged.
Posted By: Erica111412

Re: Stealth Wheel and Sandpaper - 02/09/16 02:20 AM

Hi i have threw together a harness and leash tonight. How do i post a pic to show and see if itd work
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL