GliderCENTRAL

Thoughts on a steam cleaner?

Posted By: nicoleejeanne

Thoughts on a steam cleaner? - 02/09/16 02:33 PM

I've been reading around that using a steam cleaner to clean the cage is very effective. Just wondering if anyone here uses/has used one and can speak from experience? And if so, what model they use? I live upstairs so I can't bring my cage up and down the stairs to wash outside. I've been using a vinegar/water solution but I just want to make sure I'm getting the cage as clean as possible. Thanks!
Posted By: Terry

Re: Thoughts on a steam cleaner? - 02/09/16 06:47 PM

I use a steam cleaner, a hand held, the brand I believe is spelled Scunni, or similar to that, lol. I purchased it many years ago to steam clean my lizard's terrariums.

I also use v/w solution (1pt V to 3pt W about). I usually try to wipe down with solution (kept in a spray bottle) weekly using a sponge (the kind with foam on one side and rough on the other for scrubbing), sometimes I've skipped a week though. When I use the steamer (approx every 3-4 mos), typically I wipe down the entire cage as normal, then follow up with steaming. I will either wipe down again with V/W and sponge again and use dry paper towels or cloth to finish. The dry wiping helps make sure the cage is dry as well as making sure the grime is off. On occasions, I will wipe down with dry cloth or paper towels directly after steaming, but usually go over again with solution to be sure I didn't miss anything.

I'm pretty sure the cage is pretty clean and disinfected after that. I do wish I could get the cage outside to really scrub and hose down, but like you, it's not where I can get it outdoors easily.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL