GliderCENTRAL

Thoughts on Diapers

Posted By: hollypop

Thoughts on Diapers - 04/27/16 04:09 PM

Hi all!
New suggie mama here - I pick up my boys this weekend! My question may seem a bit of an odd one, so here it goes. Back in the 80's, my mom had a pet monkey (so cool, right?) and she sewed little diapers for him, because like gliders, you can't really teach a monkey not to poo or pee wherever he wants! So she's very excited to become a suggie gramma, and wants to make diapers for my two guys.
I think this is likely a bad idea - for one thing, how is a diaper going to stay on their tiny little legs? But most importantly, would it not interfere with their patagium in the same way a leash would? Sure, the fabric would be softer, but I still feel like it could pose more of a risk than a reward, but she is insistent! :yak:
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject! Maybe that will get her on my side.
For now, I can just be thankful that we don't have to argue about parenting a human baby yet! grin
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Thoughts on Diapers - 04/27/16 05:24 PM

Not only is it a bad idea for the reasons you listed, but it can cause the skin to guald and become infected which could cause the glider to self-mutilate. Diapers will hold pooh and pee next to their skin. I also highly doubt you'd even be able to keep a diaper on a glider.
Posted By: Rebecca

Re: Thoughts on Diapers - 04/27/16 05:50 PM

Usually when I let my little boogers out to perch on me, I wear a special sweater or long-sleeve shirt that I don't mind them soiling.

Re: Thoughts on Diapers - 04/27/16 06:07 PM

thank you! now maybe I can convince her that I'm not just being a paranoid mama! I know she'd never want to hurt them, but she'd definitely think I was being overly cautious, and I don't know that I could trust her to babysit without trying it out!

Re: Thoughts on Diapers - 04/27/16 06:08 PM

That's a great idea! I have lots of old hoodies I don't wear out of the house that would be perfect for them to crawl on. Plus, it would minimize the scratches, cause my sensitive skin just blows up from them! crazy
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Thoughts on Diapers - 04/27/16 06:44 PM

There has been a discussion about diapers before long ago, but apparently it wasn't kept.

Gliders have a way of getting out of e-collars and e-jackets, so there would be no way to keep a diaper on them not to mention the reasons already given for not trying it. There really is no need.
Posted By: Hamby360

Re: Thoughts on Diapers - 04/28/16 02:20 AM

LOL you COULD always try letting her put a diaper on one of them :') I doubt VERY much she would try that stunt more than once, the biting from it would surely be rather painful.
Posted By: Philwojo

Re: Thoughts on Diapers - 05/02/16 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Rebecca
Usually when I let my little boogers out to perch on me, I wear a special sweater or long-sleeve shirt that I don't mind them soiling.

My wife and I do this also, we actually went to the local thrift shop and picked up two fleece pull over's just for hit purpose. So they have pockets and hoods and stuff for them to crawl in and curly up and they don't get caught because they are fleece, but if they get dirty it isn't our "main" clothes, so they just go in the washer.

And they were only a few bucks each since they came from the thrift store.

Phil
Posted By: Hamby360

Re: Thoughts on Diapers - 05/03/16 02:51 AM

That gives me a cool idea! Carefully see extra pockets/tunnels onto the front of the hoodie! I think I'm gonna to try that soon lol.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL