GliderCENTRAL

repainting/repair

Posted By: mechnut450

repainting/repair - 07/04/16 11:53 AM

Ok i was inspecting the glider's cages and we found a rust spot forming in a couple spots. I plan on sanding and cleaning the cage. I was wondering what i can use to repaint the spots that are rusting once I clean it up. I want ot make sure it safe for the gliders afterwards and will last them a while. ( these sections are all on the bottom of the cage) 9 drop pant rails )
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: repainting/repair - 07/05/16 10:18 AM

Mechnut, awhile back there was a thread on pet safe paints, something that was available at pets stores. I couldn't find it at my local store so I used Rustoleum dual super bond. Since it's my RV cage and we were home I let it dry for 24 hours and washed down the entire cage with Dawn soap. That was 9 months ago, and I haven't had any issues.

Re: repainting/repair - 07/05/16 10:26 AM

thanks Dawn I though there was too, but this past weeks been a a real crazy once. I had cleaned the cages the day before and I only had 10 minutes online when I posted this. I not had much time today but i see of I can search later ( depends on the weather)
Posted By: gr8rcfan

Re: repainting/repair - 07/06/16 05:44 PM

I've heard others recommend Rustoleum. I've used Rustoleum on metalwork, outdoors in North Dakota. It withstood everything mother nature could throw at it for years. Just make sure you let it dry real good - like 24 hours or more

Re: repainting/repair - 07/06/16 09:15 PM

so far we been to lowes, home depot and Michael's looking for the dual superbond paints/ no luck. I was looking at the hammertone stuff form rustoleum, but we both unsure if it would work. I did get to power wash the cage and it not as bad as we thoguh but it still needs some tlc. Does anyone know if there any other paints I can use.
Posted By: Feather

Re: repainting/repair - 07/06/16 09:40 PM

I do believe it is the rustoleum. You will want to sand down the bad or rough spots first, apply several coats and make sure they are dry before you put on the next coat.

Once it is totally dry was it down before use.

Re: repainting/repair - 07/14/16 12:40 PM

So no superbond ( double super bond ) so I going to try the hammertone since it looks like the original paint. I will be grinding the rust off ands using a wire brush to clean it up.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL