GliderCENTRAL

Cage malfunction

Posted By: Cori

Cage malfunction - 05/09/17 04:46 AM

I have a Madagascar cage and I've loved it up until this moment. Somehow one of the boys managed to open a door and get out! Luckily I found him right away, he found his old baby cage that I never put away (and now never will put away). But I'm not sure what to do about the door now.

It's a side door that clicks shut so there's no way to lock it. I've had the cage for at least 6 months, probably closer to 9 and never had an issue with them getting out. It's not an easy door to unclick either so I have no idea how they did it. There's purposely nothing under this door so they can't stand on something and push it open. I also never use the door so I know it wasn't that I just left it open.

It just happened so I'm still recovering from the experience because of course Zag, the less social one got out so I had to freak him out and grab him. He managed to get out of my grip and jump all over my dusty blinds so now the poor kid is sneezing with dirty eyes. He's back home but you can tell how scared he still is.

So how do I secure the door? And besides keeping an eye on Zag do I need to do anything or worry about the dust? Right now the door is tied shut with string but that doesn't feel permanent.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Cage malfunction - 05/09/17 11:16 AM

A zip tie will cure any escapes out the door.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Cage malfunction - 05/09/17 04:07 PM

You don't use those side doors so Dawn is right, just zip tie is shut.

I also put one zip tie on the cage grate so that they can't slide it out.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Cage malfunction - 05/09/17 05:08 PM

clap Let's hear it for those zipties clap
Posted By: Feather

Re: Cage malfunction - 05/09/17 08:15 PM

You can fix almost anything with zip ties and duct tape! :rofl2:
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Cage malfunction - 05/09/17 09:29 PM

So very true rofl
Posted By: Terry

Re: Cage malfunction - 05/09/17 11:06 PM

Yup, I had the Madagascar cage, great cage! Just use zip ties how suggested.

I use permanent zip ties on those two side doors, reusable ones on drop tray. Now I have large sturdy HQ cage, and I use reuse able zip ties on all the front feeder doors. If you prefer to use the reuse able ones on your two side doors, they should work great also.

I used to live in AZ, briefly, miss it!
Posted By: Cori

Re: Cage malfunction - 06/04/17 06:33 PM

Thank you guys for the zip ties. My brain was in such a panic I couldn't think of something so simple!

On the plus side I think Zag thinks I saved his life cause he's been really sweet and more social since the incident
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Cage malfunction - 06/04/17 07:28 PM

You are most welcome!

Shoot, I use at least a hundred zip ties a day at work, and never thought of using them till Terry suggested it. dunno shakehead
Posted By: Terry

Re: Cage malfunction - 06/05/17 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
You are most welcome!

Shoot, I use at least a hundred zip ties a day at work, and never thought of using them till Terry suggested it. dunno shakehead

Everyone else already suggested them before me, I was just joining in confirming the use of them.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL