GliderCENTRAL

Nest Box Blues

Posted By: TwoDog

Nest Box Blues - 10/06/17 11:46 PM

Hey all!
I have a question for the vets on the forum here...
(Glider vets, not necessarily military vets.)
Part of the big new cage project was supposed to be a nest box.
Finally have access to tools, so I started working on that again.

I know that in terms of bedding or decor, there are woods that are considered unsafe for gliders....
Does that apply for nest boxes too?
Was thinking of a heavy plywood, sealed in poly or spar varnish.

Do you guys think I actually need to find a specialty wood for this, or am I just pole vaulting over mouse poop?

Any direction much appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Happy Glider-ing all!
Posted By: Terry

Re: Nest Box Blues - 10/07/17 12:22 AM

I'm not a vet of any kind, but I do know that Peggy sells these nest boxes

It doesn't say the type of wood used, but maybe she'll have the information you need if you contact her.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Nest Box Blues - 10/07/17 02:55 PM

Here is a post concerning nest boxes although Peggy does not say what kind of wood she uses.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1389787/Nest_Boxes#Post1389787

Posted By: Srlb

Re: Nest Box Blues - 10/08/17 07:04 PM

I highly recommend NOT using plywood. Wood itself is very porous, plywood is worst of all.

If you want to make your own, use birch, pine or poplar. Before you question the pine....

Pine SHAVINGS are toxic to glider due to the phenols in them. Pine wood is fine to use.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Nest Box Blues - 10/11/17 02:01 AM

Peggy, I'd like to thank you for sharing your knowledge on this subject, as I'm sure that there are many that would wonder this very thing. thumb
Posted By: TwoDog

Re: Nest Box Blues - 10/12/17 05:30 PM

Hey all!
Yes thank you Peggy! This gives me a way to go. Birch is available where I am at and it's not too expensive.
Thanks again!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL