GliderCENTRAL

Can u pre determine a gliders personality

Posted By: Mema

Can u pre determine a gliders personality - 01/28/17 04:46 AM

So I have 2 female caramel gliders I have had for 2 years. Got them cuz caramels are so suppose to be so docile. Well one (Bella) has never crabbed or bit but also still trys to hide from me in her cage. Izzy has always crabbed and bit and still does occasionally. I will handle her anyway and most times she only bites if I am restraining her with my hands to keep her from getting away (like nail trims) but she still crabs. Anyway I am in the process of getting another baby and the breeder has allowed me to come spend time with her whenever I want. She is about 3 weeks old. I have been going about 2-3x a week and yesterday spent an hour with her. She crabbed a lot and especially every time I spoke to her and actually lunged and bit me once. So does this mean she may be very hard to bond with and will take a lot of work. She also has a boy that is a week older and he fell asleep in my hand yesterday and has never crabbed and appears to have the sweetest personality "so far". All I want is the best chance at a sweet glider. So are they too young to really know at this point? Does everyone pick gliders just based on color? I kind of regret getting the caramels now because they can't be bred with any other species of gliders which now limites me to a caramel or never breeding or having to get another cage too. Otherwise I may have just tried breeding to see if I could produce a "sweet glider". I certainly get why most end up with more then 2. Thank you for your input.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Can u pre determine a gliders personality - 01/28/17 12:29 PM

I am not familiar with caramels at all. I do know through good breeding practices, and breeder handling of joeys, a good temperment can be found across most colors (from what I've read). I am not an expert, just an avid reader on here. Lots of research.

I have 2 greys, and they both bite on occasion. But most of the time are quite sweet. I have learned that when I haven't handled them for 4 or more days in a row, it's like starting all over again with bonding, but because they know you, it comes back quicker.

I try to trim nails every 2 -3 weeks. I use a large piece of fleece between me and them, pull a foot out one at a time, give a mealie with each foot when I see their head to give their teeth something to do.

I know nothing about breeding, so I will leave that to the experts...
Posted By: Jennifer_Maaske

Re: Can u pre determine a gliders personality - 01/29/17 07:09 PM

I think, if the parents are nice and the baby had at least some handling, then you can bond.
I've had some nasty babies who hated me. But the parents were sweet. Sold them for a low price because of the biting. And 9 times out of 10 the owners say they tames down almost immediately.im no expert, but I really feel the parents personality is key factor
Posted By: Kris

Re: Can u pre determine a gliders personality - 03/18/17 11:59 AM

From what I have seen, it doesn't seem to be easy to see if a glider will bite. I can say, hands down, my boys are sweeter. The girls I just pet them a lot while sleeping. They are getting better, but one girl always bites at night before I put her in her cage from the bonding bag. The more time you spend holding them the better they get.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL