GliderCENTRAL

New Mama, just brought home two sugar gliders last night!

Posted By: FunInTheSun

New Mama, just brought home two sugar gliders last night! - 04/16/17 03:32 PM

Hello there, everyone! My boyfriend and I just brought home our first sugar gliders last night. I just wanted to join this forum because I'm a very curious person and will have lots of questions. I've already read books, articles, spoken with the breeder quite a bit, but I'll still have questions along the way.

We brought home a neutered black beauty male, Batman, OOP 10/30/16, so he's a bit older and a lot bigger than the female! The female we brought home was a cremeino female, Winnie, OOP 1/31/17. These two are very different, I can tell already. Winnie was very nervous last night, just hanging out in one corner of the cage; she still took treats from me through the bars but seemed like she wanted someone to comfort her and I felt horrible! Batman, however, was running around the cage all night, loved his wheel, and ate all the treats I gave him!

My question is, will it take longer to bond with Batman since he's quite a bit older? And what are the first steps I should take after letting them settle in for 48 hours and starting to handle them? And when I start tent time, what is the best sized tent, and what time is best for it? I'm assuming evening, when they wake up for the night, but just wanted to see what your guys' habits/schedules were!

Thanks everyone! I've attached a photo of the two. Batman is about twice Winnie's size right now!

[img:center]https://scontent.fapa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v...amp;oe=594E5CD6[/img]
Posted By: Feather

Re: New Mama, just brought home two sugar gliders last night! - 04/16/17 08:41 PM

Every glider is different and they bond at their own pace.

Just be patient with him.

I will move this to Bonding in Relations for more exposure.
Posted By: Terry

Re: New Mama, just brought home two sugar gliders last night! - 04/16/17 09:32 PM

:welcomegc: and congratulations! I'm so glad you found us here. They're both beautiful gliders!

So I agree with bonding recommendation to be patient. Read through posts on the bonding forum and practice relationship building steps, see what's working and what isn't. If your glider(s) doesn't seem ready, take a step back and build back up to it again.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: New Mama, just brought home two sugar gliders last night! - 04/17/17 10:01 AM

:welcome2: to Glider Central!

Do you have blankies (4" square fleece)? You might want to rub them on your skin or sleep with under your pillow to get your scent on them. Tuck into sleeping pouch.

I have the Genji tent from Amazon. If you look at reviews you will know why.

Time and patience are your friend where gliders are concerned.

When you must catch or handle them at first, you may want a large piece of fleece (handkerchief size) to act as a barrier and they won't associate bad things with your hands. They will also have some thing to hang on to.

Any blue words you see you can click on and it will take you to more on that topic. Like bonding, toys, wheels, diet, vets database for your area and so on.

Please ask away and keep us posted of your progress. thumb
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL