GliderCENTRAL

Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing

Posted By: Piper

Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/25/17 02:40 PM

Hello, I'm new here and would like to introduce myself and my new fur baby! I have some questions about bonding, but first I'll give you a little insight on what my situation is....I live in a duplex and my neighbors moved out, I knew they had quite a few pets and were not the best pet owners based on them never, and I mean NEVER cleaning up after the 2 big dogs...So I'll try and sum this up so don't go off on a tangent about bad pet owners..ha...they moved out and we are moving into their place because it's bigger, it's been weeks since we've seen them and we wanted to look at the place because we are excited to move so we asked the landlady and she said that they were moved out and we can enter to check the place out. Upon entering we were appalled to see that they abandoned some pets, a poor parrot was dead in its cage, a bunch of South American frogs and a sugar glider. We didn't know what to do, but after doing some reading about sugar gliders we decided to keep it....I'm not sure if it's a boy or girl yet....the first night we just fed it what we had, apples and some hard boiled egg. It came out and ate, as I'm sure it was starving. But since then it hasn't come out much, and "barks" when I go over and talk to it....it's been 3 nights now and we got it some meal worms that it snatched up fast and loved! Everything I've been reading about bonding assumes that the sugar glider will let you touch it, I've been pretty much leaving it alone plus talking to it and putting some fleece that has my scent. My question is....if I just keep doing this will it warm up to me? I'm trying not to force it but I guess I want reassurance that it WILL eventually warm up to us.....what would you do?

Sorry about any typos, I'm writing this on my phone and it's kinda hard!
Thanks!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/25/17 03:27 PM

shock <---- I'm sure that doesn't even begin to describe how you felt finding the animals in that place. How anyone could leave animals to die well we all know there is a special place for them agree

So glad you were able to rescue this little one who somehow managed to survive.

I am going to move your initial post to our Bonding & Relations Forum because that seems to be what it is mainly about.

Then you will want to start a new post in our Diet & Nutrition Forum to get advice on this little one's nutrition.

Keeping your topics in the correct forums will help you and our members guide you with the best possible advice.

We are so glad you found us and will do the best we can for you and this precious little one.
Posted By: sugarfluff

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/25/17 03:51 PM

Sounds like this little glider was neglected and not taken care of properly.

In my opinion the first few things you should do is get it on a proper diet. ( Click on any blue words and it will link you with helpful info) Critterlove and BML are great diets. I recommend checking into and see what may work best for you. I would also suggest getting it in for a vet check to rule out any issues and to get a clean bill of health. Lastly I'd make sure the cage set up is conducive to a happy glider. Make duret that it's not too small, and your glider has room to jump and play. Toys, pouches/hammocks and a good glider safe wheel are necessary as well.

Doing these 3 things in my opinion will set a good base to bonding with him/her. A vet will be able to tell you it's sex although you may be able to determine that yourself. I'd assume you have a female or a neutered male. A males pom would be very noticeable. A female will have a vertical pouch on her stomach. A male may have a noticable bald spot on his forehead. Referencing some photos online may help.

Keep sharing your scent with it. Cut up small 3-4" squares of fleece and rub them on you, have them under your pillow for a night or leave them in you hamper a bit. Place them in the cage/pouches. Gliders are very scent oriented. Helping them acclimate to your scent will help with bonding. If you can carry it around in a bonding pouch during the day for an hour or two and talking to it in a soft voice will help too. Patience is key, you are so big compared to this tiny little animal and that's frightening. They need to learn you mean no harm. He/she will warm up to you over time, some faster than others. Each is different. Look into doing tent time or bathroom time. Basically sitting inside a closed glider safe area and just hanging out. Let them play round climb on you and it will help gain their trust.

Another important suggestion would be to look into getting a second glider. They are colony animals and do best with other gliders. That can also help skittish gliders open up to bonding. A pal to go through life with is always better than facing it alone.

A few tips to get you started. I'm sure there's plenty more info some of the glider pros on here can share with you as well.

You've came to a great place for glider info :welcomegc: and :gluck: with your new little fuzzbutt.
Posted By: TwoDog

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/25/17 04:15 PM

OMG thank you for taking him in.
Makes me so mad...
What kind of heartless...
Oh, I just want to find those people...
BAH! :-(

You have perhaps accidentally fallen down the rabbit hole and into the world of Sugar-Madness. These little guys can be challenging, but they are so rewarding.

You're in the right place for help. There's a ton of expertise here and people willing to help.

Post up some pics of the little guy...or girl.

Welcome to the addiction. :-)
Posted By: Stef333

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/25/17 04:44 PM

I'm appalled that they abandoned animals like that!!! Thank you for taking in that poor neglected glider. It will take time to build trust, but just providing food and a quiet place to sleep should go a long way. It may take weeks or months for the glider to warm up to you, but it will happen.

By the way, what happened to the frogs?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/25/17 04:45 PM

Hi Piper,

I am just south of Madison, Wisconsin. I am having a toy making party for sugar gliders on May 13 from 10 am until???

It is at the Oregon Fire Station in their training room. If you would like to come there are lots of people that can give you advice and we can also help you trim their nails.

If you would like to contact me, my phone number is in my profile.

Good Luck,

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/25/17 05:51 PM

Thanks everyone, lots of good advice so fast! The cage set up is pretty nice and big, I ordered a glider safe wheel on amazon last night. We have talked about getting another already so our new little buddy can have a friend, I'm so sad for it that it spent all that time alone, also, so greatfull that it survived all that time alone! ....we already have a dog, a couple cats, a couple of turtles and a human child, so it's hard to imagine adding another on purpose, but what's 2 when you already have one, aye? wink my boyfriend was down there cleaning and found a dead snake, like a big one....he said maybe a boa, in a f-in Tupperware container, like it was definitely living in just that. My step sister thinks I should call the police and report them, idk, I'm going to call DNS about the rest of the frogs and see what they say about it....

I am so excited I get to care for this precious little creature!
Posted By: TwoDog

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/25/17 07:29 PM

Definitely call the police

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/25/17 09:16 PM

Yes, they should be reported for the death of those animals.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/25/17 10:13 PM

:welcomegc:

Wow... Poor little fella...

So glad you found him when you did.

You have been given great advise. All I can add is please keep us posted.

Pics are appreciated too. When he/she has settled in a bit.

Oh I can add, to help. If you need to handle/ catch him, use a piece of fleece (about hankie size) so he doesn't associate it with stressful things till he gets used to you.
Posted By: Stef333

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 04/27/17 02:08 PM

I agree about reporting the people who mistreated all of those animals. That's the best chance to get them to stop torturing those creatures.

Glad to hear that you'll soon have a pair of happy gliders! smile

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 05/07/17 04:00 PM

Hi y'all! Just wanted to give an update because you were all so helpful. Things are going really well! She is still VERY skid-ish but is totally coming around smile she is so sweet and timid and so darn cute I could just squeeze....jk.....so, it's definitely taking a lot of patience and time, she will now come out and take a treat out of my hand but if I move suddenly she's off and away, but she doesn't bark at me every time I look at her so we are happy and making progress. I'm keeping an eye on the local rescue pages to find her a friend, no rush except I'm worried she is lonely &#128557;
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 05/07/17 04:05 PM

clap So good to hear things are going so well.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 05/07/17 04:22 PM

Thank you for keeping us up to date. I was thinking about you yesturday, wondering how things were going.

They like slow predictable movements and soft talking to them. Fiona has always been real skittish, Dot not so much, unless surprised.

Re: Hi, I'm new and don't know what I'm doing - 05/07/17 11:22 PM

Piper,

We are having a toy making party at the fire house in Oregon, WI this coming Saturday, May 13 from 10 am until???? You are more than welcome to come and learn more about gliders and make some toys for your new little one.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL