GliderCENTRAL

Joeys' first night at home

Posted By: aubiefan

Joeys' first night at home - 07/14/17 11:42 AM

Hi everyone! I finally picked Sheldon and Sydney up from the breeder yesterday! They are precious and I'm already in love. I just wanted to check in to make sure I'm doing things right so far.

I got home with them yesterday afternoon. I peeked into their pouch and Sheldon crabbed at me, but Sydney took a treat and seemed pretty calm. I left the pouch inside the cage so they could come out when they felt comfortable.

When I went to bed around 10:30 they were still inside the pouch.

I heard them making some noise around 4:30 am and hoped they were exploring and eating, and when I checked on them around 7:00 am they had eaten all of their food and the mealworms I'd put around the cage.

When I came in Sydney was already in a sleeping pouch (one of the new cage set ones, not the one from the breeder) and Sheldon was out and about, but seemed alarmed to see me and made his way over to snuggle in with Sydney. I talked to them for a minute and opened the cage to put some more mealworms around.

Should I try taking the sleeping pouch out tonight and get them used to my smell through that, or is it too soon? They're so precious and I want them to like me, but I don't want to make the mistake of rushing them.

Just for context, Sheldon is 9 weeks oop and Sydney is 11 weeks oop; they're unrelated but came from the same breeder and have been sharing a cage and sleeping pouch for a week or two.
Posted By: aubiefan

Re: Joeys' first night at home - 07/14/17 11:45 AM

Also, any tips for bra training?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Joeys' first night at home - 07/14/17 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: aubiefan
Hi everyone! I finally picked Sheldon and Sydney up from the breeder yesterday! They are precious and I'm already in love. I just wanted to check in to make sure I'm doing things right so far.

I got home with them yesterday afternoon. I peeked into their pouch and Sheldon crabbed at me, but Sydney took a treat and seemed pretty calm. I left the pouch inside the cage so they could come out when they felt comfortable.

When I went to bed around 10:30 they were still inside the pouch.

I heard them making some noise around 4:30 am and hoped they were exploring and eating, and when I checked on them around 7:00 am they had eaten all of their food and the mealworms I'd put around the cage.

When I came in Sydney was already in a sleeping pouch (one of the new cage set ones, not the one from the breeder) and Sheldon was out and about, but seemed alarmed to see me and made his way over to snuggle in with Sydney. I talked to them for a minute and opened the cage to put some more mealworms around.

Should I try taking the sleeping pouch out tonight and get them used to my smell through that, or is it too soon? They're so precious and I want them to like me, but I don't want to make the mistake of rushing them.

Just for context, Sheldon is 9 weeks oop and Sydney is 11 weeks oop; they're unrelated but came from the same breeder and have been sharing a cage and sleeping pouch for a week or two.

Congratulations on your new little ones and an apparently successful first night in their new home agree

If it were me, I would wait another few nights giving them a little more time to get used to their new surroundings. They have so many new sights, sounds and smells to get used to since leaving their parents. You can still have interaction with them through the cage bars which will go a long way with the bonding process wink This will help them get used to your voice and you smell. A licky treat through the cage bars might be a good idea as well.

Be sure to take your cues from them and don't rush things. Your rewards will be much greater if you do.

As for bra training, I will leave that to someone with experience as none of my gliders were inclined to be bra babies wink
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Joeys' first night at home - 07/14/17 11:46 PM

I'm no help. I just tucked Fiona in there with a blankie to hold so she didn't scratch 'the girls' too much and she stayed. She was about 6 months oop. Dot would go where ever Fiona went, but prefers her cage. Now Fiona will go in, and Dot goes back to her sleeping pouch. So I only have bra baby. We only do this around the house. I haven't taken her out in public much.

They do make a pouch to hang between, but when it's full of gliders, it makes you look like you have 3 girls instead of two.

Some people use a tank top with built in bra. It allows more comfy space. They will wear a regular tank under it.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Joeys' first night at home - 07/15/17 02:59 AM

Congrats! I know you're so excited and probably a bit nervous at the same time, it's perfectly normal.

I agree with Karen. Give them time to get settled in and use to your presence. If you haven't already, make some self-scented fleece blankies, or fleece cage items and place those in their cage with them, to help them learn your scent. Also, sitting at the cage and talking with them gets them used to as well. Offer treats through bars at first, if they seem okay with that, then with hand in cage. Slow-going, pay attention to see when to take it farther. You need to build trust, this takes longer for some than others, but either way, it will take a little time for them to adjust and learn you are safe.

As for bra training, when you get to the point to try, just layer tanks, one with shelf-bra build in or a bra under the shelf-bra tank and tuck them in. Mine won't go or stay, but I think if I spent more time trying with my Lulu, she would be the one that would take to it, I just never pushed it.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL