GliderCENTRAL

And then...There were 6.

Posted By: kidqwik

And then...There were 6. - 10/31/17 08:12 PM

Soooo. I ended up getting a baby leucistic(she says 12 weeks and I think 12 week OOP) and supposedly a 5 month old mosaic this weekend. Both are females. Someone is supposed to buy my Brisbane cage but I'm holding onto it for at least another week if introductions go well.

I'm a bit concerned though. The mosaic is a biter. Like a REAL biter. She rarely crabs unlike the leucistic who crabs and throws her hands up in the air all the time BUT is sweet and will climb on my hands once she calms down. The mosaic though, nope. She will bite whenever she gets on your hand. Your knuckles, your fingers, it doesn't matter. And she will draw bloods almost every time. My BFs hand was a horror show. None of my other gliders were like this. Yeah they'd bite when you'd grab them running away when they were little and not bonded, but rarely was blood drawn. What has me really concerned though is having my colony of four merge with the new two who have been cage mates.

The cages are side by side and they can't reach each other. Lilo went on the side of the four glider cage and the mosaic went on the side of hers and they see each other and Lilo absolutely freaks out. Trying to claw at her and make noises like "I'm going to kill you!" She can't stand her. The mosaic clawed, but made no noise. I'm doing pouch swaps daily and removed the piece of fleece that was given to me with the two and cleaned it today. I felt bad doing it because the two LOVED that piece of fleece and ran all over it and played on it but I thought maybe there was too much of their scent on it that the others could smell from the other cage. I'm terrified there will be a big fight between them on first introductions. I was going to give it a week to try it like I did with the others when I introduced them in pairs. Ended up being the easiest thing ever then. They got along instantly after a week. I don't think it will be that easy this time. frown
Posted By: Feather

Re: And then...There were 6. - 10/31/17 10:28 PM

I would prolong your pouch swapping to at a minimum of 2 weeks then swap cages.

It may take a while but you should be able to get them introduced.

Re: And then...There were 6. - 11/01/17 12:49 AM

Yeah. I think that's a good idea. I'll watch how they respond at night. I've never seen Lilo so angry and the sound she made I never heard before. It was like crabbing but screaming and all different levels. Was so scary. frown

Re: And then...There were 6. - 11/08/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Feather
I would prolong your pouch swapping to at a minimum of 2 weeks then swap cages.

It may take a while but you should be able to get them introduced.

After a week they are still "I'm gonna kill u!" through the two cages bars. This is mostly happening with Lilo in the group of four. She's always looking for them and wanting to fight. Both of the other two in the other cage start yelling at her and like attacking the side of the cage she's on like she does. Kara in the group of four goes tsst tsst tsst at them and Yuki and Roxie pretty much ignore them and go about their business in their cage running on the wheel, eating, and paying attention to us. I've been doin the pouch swaps and this weekend it's time to do the thorough cage and items cleanings. The cage that had to two new ones was all clean before they went into it and the others had a week in theres after it being cleaned. Maybe by cleaning again without any scents and everything in them will make them feel less territorial?
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL