GliderCENTRAL

Just some observational questions.

Posted By: billytense aka Lisa11

Just some observational questions. - 12/24/17 09:25 AM

It blows my mind how quickly they figure out the exact spot in the middle of your back that you can't reach.
My gliders have been sleeping in my old t-shirt I gave them, on the floor of the cage. I thought they liked to be up high? I have a few options at the to for them. Does that mean they prefer something else or just that they like the floor better?
Also the fact that Lucy and Wendy like different treats and shame on me if I forget which ones is also mind boggling.
I'm dog sitting a friend's twelve years old shih tzu. He's very lovable and calm and I'm pretty sure super gay and flamboyant. Seriously he is the reincarnation of Charles Nelson Riley, ( look it up youngsters!). Anyway I was planning on keeping everyone in different areas but will the gliders smell Yoji and panic or will they smell him on me and react?
Also I was watching Wendy steal treats from Lucy on a pretty regular basis, sometime soon Lucy goes and gets it back but more often than not she just let's it go.
I'm guessing that's just the packing order being established?
I usually sneak an extra treat to Lucy when Wendy is busy.
I noticed that Lucy was not getting good traction on stuff including my arm. So I took out the sand paper out of the wheel. I should take a good look at her feet tomorrow just in case. Wendy on the other hand still had needles on her feet. I'm still nervous about restraining them to do any maintenance, every day they are a little more receptive to holding and hanging out longer. I don't want to lose that progress.
ok last thing. Meal worms. They totally ignore then when they are dropped on the blanket or placed in the food tray. I use a mini muffin tins so everything is sorted.
If I hold a wiggly one in front of the face sometimes they go for it but it's fifty fifty.
Ok it's late, im tired and I have private party to work tonight so I better get some sleep, I hope everyone has a great holiday and I hope someone posts some sugar glider Xmas cards or at least a couple little critters poking out of a stocking!
Cheers!!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Just some observational questions. - 12/24/17 01:12 PM

When mine were joeys, they could be anywhere in the cage. I sometimes found Fiona asleep in the wheel, Dot in her Noah's ark boat. Mine also like lots of elbow room in their pouch. After washing their pouch, and cage set, I usually turn inside out and rub on my neck or arm, or if I have time, stuff in in my pillow I sleep on. Or if I have dirty laundry, I will rub it on that too.

As far as treats, I've learned that mine no longer steal in front of me, but they do steal from each other when they forage on their own. I usually hear them bickering a bit.

The new smells from the dog will make them curious, the best thing to do is wash your hands before trying to handle them if the dog isn't a regular visitor.

Re: Just some observational questions. - 12/24/17 02:23 PM

Thanks ladym!
Posted By: Terry

Re: Just some observational questions. - 12/24/17 02:37 PM

My gliders use the whole cage but always preferred the higher sleeping accommodations for daytime sleep, they also prefer pouches & use hammocks for short nighttime naps or to just chill. I now only offer 1 sleeping pouch and at least one other style option, they always sleep together during the day in the pouch.

Yes, they no where you can't reach for sure!

As you discover their personalities, you will be even more so astonished, lol. They're incredible creatures!

I agree with Dawn about the dog.

Oh, and I'm sure they're working on pecking order. Even after that is settled, you may still hear some occasional spats.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you and yours!

Re: Just some observational questions. - 12/24/17 02:44 PM

Thanks! Going to pick up the dog now, then off to work. Best part about tomorrow is that I get to spend the whole night with the girls, they are getting freezes dried chicken necks for Christmas!

Re: Just some observational questions. - 12/24/17 02:59 PM

I forgot this. Fionas first Christmas during bathroom time.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/7pwj2obz8tjj2sm/AADIRk6uLjJ9D4f23BJ17jKBa

She was about 16 wks oop at the time...

Dot was still a beast and wouldn't let us touch her...

Re: Just some observational questions. - 12/24/17 04:48 PM

So cute! What was in the wrapped package?

I'd love to post my trio's first Christmas together at bathroom play, but I'd need to fetch it from photo bucket, and don't have the app on my phone just yet.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Just some observational questions. - 12/25/17 08:18 AM

Most of what you asked about comes down to them just settling in & figuring things out. Besides, old t-shirts are comfy wink Yes, all of mine rapidly figured out exactly how far my arms could reach depending on my direction of approach. Turds, lol. Each also has their favorite treat, though I am able to count on yogurt drops making any of them happy. You'll see how different each of them can be as y'all get to know each other. With my four, I'm dealing with four distinct & very different personalities. Most slightly to moderately nutty.

When one of mine steals a treat from another, I give the 'victim' a new treat. I want them to know they never need to bicker & fight over food (of any sort). Doesn't prevent all bickering, but I tend not to have more than a little back & forth with maybe a tsssk before one of the two will give up them jump to the door. If it happens too much by one or to one, I'll take the target glider out of the cage until all treats are properly enjoyed. Again, all in the name of peace & knowing they're safe without needed to be concerned.

Re: Just some observational questions. - 12/25/17 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Terry
So cute! What was in the wrapped package?

I'd love to post my trio's first Christmas together at bathroom play, but I'd need to fetch it from photo bucket, and don't have the app on my phone just yet.

Lol! Nothing for her. The only box i could find that fit in the stocking was full of new bank checks(remember those?) was trying a photo shot for a Christmas card cover!

She was interested in the curling ribbon, but most of all, she wanted in her stocking away from the light. She just couldn't figure out how to get the package out. Lol!!!!

Re: Just some observational questions. - 12/26/17 09:25 PM

Lol, I'm glad they don't know the humor we find at their expense, but seriously, they're so stink'n cute and oh-so amusing!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL