GliderCENTRAL

Adding A Boy - What Should I Know?

Posted By: glider323

Adding A Boy - What Should I Know? - 03/09/20 07:41 PM

Hi, I have a question about whether something I'm trying to do is advisable or not, how to do it correctly, etc.

Basically, I found someone who is surrendering a glider they can't take care of, a year old male. First of all, this baby has lived alone for 6 months:( and I've seen pictures of his cage, it doesn't look clean, I feel like it's a situation where he definitely needs to be re-homed. I have two girls who are a year old and have known each other their whole lives, in a very spacious cage, so I figure I owe it to this little guy to pick him up.

I guess I was just wondering, how do you introduce a new glider into an existing colony peacefully? Should I put him in their cage the first night? I was planning on staying up and watching to see how they interact and get along. Neither of my girls have ever been aggressive with one another, but how common is it that gliders react aggressively to a new cagemate? I've made an appointment to get him neutered since I don't know his lineage, but it's like two weeks after I'm set to get him (it was the earliest appointment I could get), would they possibly breed before then? Another question - would he possibly be aggressive, since he hasn't had a cagemate this entire time? Never done this before and would love some advice from someone who has gone through the process:) Any advice is appreciated!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Adding A Boy - What Should I Know? - 03/10/20 11:55 AM

Sorry I'm late at this. Did end up putting him with the girls?

Have you read this:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthr...roduce-gliders-to-each-other#Post1407885

Is the male neutered?

He should really go through a quarantine period and vet well check with a urine and fecal smear, to make sure he's healthy.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Adding A Boy - What Should I Know? - 03/10/20 07:22 PM

Dawn has you on the right track. Start with pouch swapping and if he isn't neutered get him neutered. You don't want him getting your girls pregnant.
Posted By: Xeno

Re: Adding A Boy - What Should I Know? - 03/10/20 11:05 PM

I would definitely not try a direct intro putting him in the cage. That can go poorly. I tried it when I was trying to integrate my two sets of gliders. Fortunately no gliders were hurt but they could have been. You will need another cage at least temporarily.

The link given is very good. Most likely you will be able to integrate them but it may take time. Definitely neuter and let him heal if he has not.

They will probably be aggressive if you just put him in. Gliders are territorial and that is the girls space. Swapping scents helps a lot with either swapping pouches or blankets in pouches. Once he is settled in you can put the cage in the same room and see how they react to the smell. Then you can move the cages closer. You can try to let them play together with you but I would only do that if both groups are used to you. Once they seem okay introduce in a scent free area (bathtub is recommended though my tub is too shallow and hilarity, at least for the gliders, ensued). Definitely do it in morning when they are tired even if you have to wake them up. If they tolerate each other go forward. They will probably be wary and smell each other a lot. Once they are getting along give them a scent free pouch and let them go to bed. Then clean their cage and everything in it to get rid of all scents before putting the pouch in. Then watch them that evening and watch them especially closely when they start eating,

Here is Elric checking out the girls for the first time in person.

[Linked Image]

I had to to try three introductions before it stuck so it can take time but they are all one colony and other than the rare usual dominance squabbles that no one gets hurt by and the boys arguing over a girl in heat they get along well.

Let us know how things progress.
Posted By: glider323

Re: Adding A Boy - What Should I Know? - 03/11/20 07:21 PM

Thanks for all the advice! If I do end up getting him it will be on Friday or Saturday so no he's not here yet. I know he comes with his cage and all his toys so I will definitely just set him up next to them instead of putting him in right away and try some of the scent swapping and go from there. The video is so cute lol, I will def introduce them in a controlled space, I have a bathroom with a tub so that's perfect
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Adding A Boy - What Should I Know? - 03/12/20 01:44 AM

If you plan to quarantine, the cages need to be farther apart. And a vet check is advised to make sure he's healthy and not carrying any parasites, or has a UTI(urinary tract infection) from bad cage hygiene. Both are contagious.

It will give some time to start bonding with him too. I would wash hands between touching cages too. I wouldn't start swapping pouches until he has the all clear.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL