GliderCENTRAL

is it safe to use wood instead of pvc for cages?

Posted By: ntk1988

is it safe to use wood instead of pvc for cages? - 02/20/10 03:27 PM

i was wanting to build my own glider cage. i dont really like the pvc cages so i was wanting to build one out of wood. would this be hazardous to my gliders health?
Posted By: Paani

Re: building a cage - 02/20/10 04:41 PM

The wood can soak up urine and some fecal matter. In addition, some woods like pine can contain toxic chemicals but you can alleviate that by using a sealant. I think some folks here recommend polyurethane sealant or a child-safe latex paint?

Don't use the galvanized wire or metal screening.

Re: building a cage - 02/20/10 04:49 PM

what type of wire mesh should i use then pvc coated?
Posted By: Srlb

Re: building a cage - 02/20/10 04:57 PM

When making a wooden cage frame for a Sugar Glider, it is very important to have the wood coated correctly to prevent urine and marking smell from absorbing into the wood. If not coated correctly, you will soon find you can smell your little furballs and no matter how much you wash and clean the smell remains. Soon, you will have to replace something you worked so hard on to add in as a piece of furniture in your home, instead of just having a cage!

I personally use 1" X 1" white pine wood boards to build a frame. When building a frame for a cage, you want to keep in mind you will need to be able to move it for cleaning. So using a lightweight wood is your best bet.
Also NEVER use Cedar wood. This is a toxic wood to gliders, even if coated properly.

Step 1. Start off by gathering the wood that you will be using for your cage frame.
Step 2. Cut the pieces to the lenghts that you will be needing them.
Step 3. With 220 grit sandpaper, sand all pieces of wood that you will be using for your frame, including the end caps. Wipe all dust and dirt off boards.
Step 4. With either poly-urathane or shellac, coat all pieces of wood completely. Making sure there are no runs or missed spots. Do not forget the end caps.
Step 5. Allow to dry for a full 24 hours.
Step 6. With 1500 sandpaper LIGHTLY sand off each board. Board should be smooth to touch. Do not oversand. Wipe all dust and dirt off boards.
Follow through with steps 4 thru 6 until there is a minimum of 5 coats on boards.
Attach frame work together, and add Pvc coated mesh wire, plastic hardware cloth or petscreen for remainder of cage.

Panni, why did you say this?

Quote:
Don't use the galvanized wire or metal screening.

We do believe that it is a myth that gliders get UTI's from the galvanized, if that is the cause of the above statement.

Wood CAN be used and it can turn out to be a BEAUTIFUL piece of furniture if it is built correctly and coated properly and allowed to dry for the correct amount of time.

Re: building a cage - 02/20/10 05:03 PM

i am a expierenced carptner so understand all the stages in building thanks for the tips though laugh i was just curious if maybe they would chew on the wood and get posined by the protective coating
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL