GliderCENTRAL

Closet Cage - Pictures

Posted By: Anonymous

Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 03:30 AM

So, I needed some room in my bedroom for a 240 gallon fishtank and the 36" wide and 6' tall hexagonal cage was a hinderence.

So that brought on the idea of turning my closet into the sugar glider cage since I don't use it often, if at all.

First step:
Empty all the junk out of my closet(nostalgic things went to the attic, clothes went to my brothers room - he was conveniently going to college, and trash, well, it went in the trash)

Second step:
Make a door - the solid door would do no good because of lack of air flow, lack of access and lack of holes for visual type things

We measured the door, created a frame that looked a little bit like this [=], very roughly like that, with a hinged door in the center that locked with a bolt (the wood was coated with a varnish type coating so that it could be wiped with water and the flying fecal matter would not soak in). The entire door was on three hinges, similar to a standard door, for access purposes. After the frame was built we purchased some Landware cloth (like thick plastic mesh, about 1/2" holes). We cut the meshlike material to fit all of the openings and stapled it down. We then nailed strips of wood over the exposed ends of the Landware cloth and staples. The door was now done and was mounted.

Third step:
Make fecal matter collecting trays.

The poop trays were made in two pieces. I measured the floor of the closet and cut two rectangular trays accordingly. Then, I attached shower pan liner to the bottom of the trays (which by the way were treated with the same coating as the door for the same reason).

Fourth step:
Embellish the cage.

Embellishments include but are not limited to:
1. Two wodent wheels (one on the floor and one on the top shelf)
2. Multiple pouches (all made of fleece)
3. Assorted hanging ropes
4. Assorted branches
5. Assorted fleece toys
6. 3" PVC pipe segments
7. Shelving

Now for the less wordy and coincidentally less boring part: PICTURES!

Thanks for looking. Enjoy!
Posted By: sweetbabies

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 03:40 AM

That is pretty neat. I never even thought of making my closet into a cage (I think I have way to much stuff to)but very good idea. It looks really nice and big. One thing though,and you have most likely already thought of this.It looks like the floor is carpeting.If so it is going to get very dirty and stinky very fast. I know you will not want to smell that or have your fuzzbutts running around on it.. I would recommend removing it and getting those self adhesive tiles.There extremely easy to put down and very easy to wipe down as well, that's an easy solution if your not going to try and incorporate a drop pan of sorts. Great job though,and im sure you have way more walking space in your bedroom. smile

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Coryd55
Third step:
Make fecal matter collecting trays.

The poop trays were made in two pieces. I measured the floor of the closet and cut two rectangular trays accordingly. Then, I attached shower pan liner to the bottom of the trays (which by the way were treated with the same coating as the door for the same reason).

These are what I am using as a sort of drop pan. No carpet exposure. Thanks for the concern and the reply though.

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 04:06 AM

Very cool idea. More & bigger pictures please. ^_^

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 04:12 AM

VERY cool! I like that idea a lot! Please post more pics if you can. I really want to see more of it! I bet your gliders love it!

LxTrix, if you right click on the pics you can select 'view image' and it will show you that image in a larger size. This works as long as the person posting it didn't reduce the size of the image. The ones above are huge!

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 04:19 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I'll get more pics tomorrow when the suggies are asleep and I am awake wink.

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 05:05 AM

Thanks for letting me know about that. Looking forward to more pictures.
Posted By: suggiebabylover

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 05:06 AM

I've been thinking about doing the same thing in the back bedroom. I have a large closet that only holds junk. So instead of junk it can hold the important things in my life: my suggies. :gidea: jump jump
Posted By: Tish84

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 07:43 AM

Pretty Cool

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 11:22 AM

I have a big walk in closet. I have been wanting to make into a play room. but too much junk in it and noware to put it cry
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 12:30 PM

Wow...very nice! I wish us women didn't need closets! lol
Posted By: oakley

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 01:46 PM

I've always wanted to convert a closet into a large cage... great job, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Janie

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 01:53 PM

wow thats awesome. I can not wait to see more pictures also.

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/27/10 03:14 PM

Thanks for all the kind words. I just woke up (slept late for the first time in several weeks) so I will get pictures in a little bit.

Haha, DCMuffin: I suppose that is part of the reason why I could do this. None of the females in my family could do this with their closet.

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/28/10 05:35 AM

Looks great! We converted a closet into a rat cage years ago and loved it, but we later regretted it for 2 reasons: 1) it was very dark inside the closet and we struggled finding a lighting solution that did not involve wires or hot bulbs or glass inside the cage, and 2) not protecting the walls with some sort of plexiglass or other covering. The walls later had to be stripped and redone, which was a huge pain that could have been easily avoided if we had thought better beforehand. You might already have done something for your closet walls, but just a heads up! smile

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/28/10 04:06 PM

More pictures:

Posted By: Paani

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/28/10 06:07 PM

Looks to me like you did a really outstanding job there. I like the real tree branches -- that's what I put in my cage and they seem to have a ball scampering through the branches and chewing on them.
Posted By: Sabarika

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/29/10 06:23 AM

I hope that's not pine or cedar there as bedding, but wow, that closet looks AMAZING!!! I am very jealous, you did an EXCELLENT job. laugh

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 03/30/10 12:16 AM

It's aspen. wink

Re: Closet Cage - Pictures - 04/14/10 03:22 AM

I have wanted to do this so bad!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL