GliderCENTRAL

The Glider's Kitchen...

Posted By: BMXgirl

The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/29/04 09:25 PM

I was so proud of myself the other day... lol... I had an idea. tounge

You know those cake plates? The round plates with the big lids that fit over the plate so that you can store cakes or pies... you can find all different kinds, plastic, glass, decorative, etc...

Well, I had a plastic one... about 18 in in diameter, with about a foot tall 'lid' that locks onto the plate part.

I was standing in the kitchen fixing Glider dinner, and was thinking about how messy they are... then started thinking about those plastic animal igloos that alot of people use here to cover the gliders dinner plates. (doesnt work for me...my 'kids' find ways to lift the edges up and move them all around...sometimes half on the plate or completely off the plate! shock ohwell )

All the sudden it dawned on me....
Sooooo, I decided I will cut a couple entry/exit holes into the 'lid' of the cake holder... and voila!
"The Glider's Kitchen!"
This way, I can make their plates, set the plate on the cake dish and lock the 'lid' (top) onto the plate....
Hehe! Its big enough they can get into it and stand comfortably, and they CANT knock this one around/over if they tried! Plus - no more mess on the walls, bars, anywhere! They could go inside their little 'cake house' and eat. Everyday, just pull it out and take the lid off, rinse it out... and start all over again. grin

(not a good idea, if you have Gliders that dont like to share dinner plates! wink But, you can get two of the cake dishes and place one on top of the other, with them joined in the center with a tiny screw and bolt. Then they have a stacked 'kitchen'...one goes in one, the other goes in the top one, they cant see each other either, so it makes for less fussing! wink Did that even make any sense at all?! roflmao )

The best part about it I thought.... you can get plastic cake holders at alot of dollar stores for a buck!!! grin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/29/04 09:35 PM

What a cool idea!! I am going to have to try that out..my walls are a mess! lol
Posted By: KattyM

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/29/04 09:40 PM

Wow, fantastic idea! And I thought our best ideas came while in another room of the house... grin

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/29/04 10:09 PM

hug2 Melissa that is so cool! I don't own a cake plate (probably because I don't cook), but, now that I know the real reason for them I am going to buy one!

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/29/04 10:30 PM

where can I get one of those plastic cake plates? Where do you place it in the cage, on the floor? It sounds like it would be so great not only for keeping food in, but keeping and glider waste from contaminating the food as well. Also what did you cut the plastic with?
April

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/29/04 10:57 PM

that IS a great idea Hope! you may have just inadvertently solved my poo in the food bowl dilemma w/ those bowls that bolt onto the cage walls! I tried the igloo with the same results; tipped over, set on the plate, etc. dollar tree got em? the dollar store by me doesnt.... it's not a dollar tree though upset

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/29/04 11:51 PM

LOL... Let me try to get pictures....
Give me just a few days... (plus its almost VALENTINE'S DAY!!! heart CAGE DECORATING!!! WOO-HOOOO! Huh, hmmm, sorry. tounge )
I dunno maybe itll help someone picture it better. smile

We used a door knob drill bit? (Like you use for drilling the holes for installing doorknobs/handles.)

Ok, these dont bolt onto the walls... I sit mine on the floor. Unless you have a really wide shelf you can use.

Ill just have to take pictures. wink
It works well, for me anyways...
...they cant tip it (they 'might' be able to scoot it around) ... they make less mess ... and they dont seem to potty in their food. laugh

I dont know if Dollar Tree has them? (They do have alot of cool stuff though for the 'kids'!) You might try there? I got mine awhile back at a little hole in the wall dollar store. I know Ive seen them in several dollar stores every now and then. smile

(Oh and bonus feature...lol... if they dont want to use it for a 'Kitchen', they will love it as a big comfy nest box (just throw in lots of blankets)! roflmao Super easy to clean up too! ;))

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/30/04 12:28 AM

That is a clever idea; but some cage doors may not be big enough to accommodate the "glider kitchen". Better check the measurements on your cage doors before you run off and buy several cake holders!!!

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/30/04 12:59 AM

What would we do without you Randy! wink

Yup, true.... good to check door measurements first!

Although, like I said, they make great nesting box playhouse type things! roflmao Would be worth a buck to have it to play/eat in in your tent or glider proofed room if you have one! smile You can get them in a few different sizes they vary by a few inches.... probably would just have to measure to be sure if you want to use it in the cage. laugh

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/30/04 03:47 AM

I also used the mini storage crates from the dollar store. I cut the handles off and put it over their food, worked great! Very easy to do and they are only a dollar!
Chey

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 01/30/04 06:45 AM

I went ahead and took a few pictures so you can see what Im talking about if you want. smile
Heres a pic of the cake holder/Glider kitchen...lol. laugh

Attached picture 192119-gliderskitchen3.jpg

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 01/30/04 06:47 AM

Heres a pic from the top... Its easy to clean, and there is plenty of room to eat comfortably but not be able to potty in the food as easily. And I liked this one because it is somewhat clear so I can still see them through it some. smile

Attached picture 192122-gliderskitchen6.jpg

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 01/30/04 06:48 AM

The entry/exit holes... smile (one on each side... made with a door knob drill bit.)

Attached picture 192123-gliderskitchen2.jpg

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 01/30/04 06:50 AM

A lovely romantic private dinner for two. glider heart grin (sorry had to throw that one in... crazy )

Attached picture 192124-gliderskitchen1.jpg

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/30/04 07:13 AM

Seems to me you can make this into a glider condo, too.

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 01/30/04 02:26 PM

How sweet! heart A romantic dinner for two heart
Posted By: KattyM

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 01/30/04 04:27 PM

Thanks for the pictures! I love the romantic dinner for two, too! heart All they're missing is the soft candlelight in the background.

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 01/30/04 04:56 PM

Interesting Idea thumb Maybe my suggies won't waste food anymore, by it falling to the bottom of the cage (yuk).I will have to try this smile

Stephanie cloud9
gangel KYRA
gangel SKUTR

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 01/30/04 06:23 PM

They're not spoiled...nahhhhhhhh tounge
Great idea! I have one of those..if I could just sneak it from my fiance, it may work! Altho...hes already complaining about all of his lunch containers being gone, hehehe. I didnt do it, I swear! roflmao

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/30/04 06:31 PM

What a creative idea! I love it! I will have to try that someday. Thanks for sharing! smile

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/30/04 06:58 PM

Oh man.. to possibly have a BML fling free night... well, at least a "contained" fling fest would be awesome.. What did you use to cut the perfect holes??? I am thinking it might be a tool that I don't have... frown

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/30/04 11:05 PM

clap heart I love it! heart clap

What a great idea !
That will come in super handy at my house! Thank you! dance

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 01/31/04 01:44 AM

That is the best! So, when are you going to start mass producing them and selling them to those of us who are totally inept? roflmao Drill a hole? And you made it so pretty!

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 01/31/04 03:03 AM

the official name for that particular tool is Hole Saw. they sell em in the drill bit section of the home whses, or possibly in the door hanging materials section also. these also make coconut hut making a breeze!!!! worth the money for one; here again; i've seen em in dollar stores!
you have to have a drill in order to utilize this tool properly though! thought I might need to clarify that point!
thumb

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/31/04 05:13 PM

awesome, awesome idea!!!! my walls are just a mess & this is what romeo & juliet need. now, they can't throw their food at us( he, he, he)! thanks SO much for the idea BMX girl dance dance

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/31/04 06:14 PM

I'd be willing to bet that if you went looking you could find different sizes.

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/01/04 05:36 AM

Ah! I missed this post...What a great idea Hope! You are so darn creative!!! I heart the candle light dinner for two...they just need a piece of spagetti between their mouths like in Lady and the Tramp.

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/01/04 01:18 PM

I think you've just made everyone's day a little better! No more textured BML art projects on the wall and no more rotting food on the floor.
You're a genius, Hope! clap

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/01/04 06:08 PM

LOL...Thanks guys! smile
I was hoping someone else would maybe find this useful as well. Ive been having a wonderful time with it...hardly any mess at all! <grin

Also, if you cannot fit one of these cake holders through your sized cage door... you can also buy a number of good sized various shaped (ie: square, rectangular,etc...) hard plastic containers with lids and do the same thing! wink If anyone tries it, let me know how it works for you! smile

Thanks Jason, for giving the proper name to the door knob drill bit thingy...lol...I couldnt remember the name of it for the life of me.

For anyone thats still not sure what a 'Hole Saw' is, if you look at my Nut house instructions at the link provided, there is a link on it with a picture of one. smile

Coconut house instructions...

smile

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/02/04 05:29 PM

Man, thats kool!!!
My hubby duct taped 2 hooks on the side of one of those plastic shoe boxes and we hang it in rgw sude if the cage.
They get down into it and chow down.
But I think that I like your idea much better!!!!
thumb thumb thumb

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/02/04 08:47 PM

Time to start looking for those cake covers at rummage sales and thrift shops and start drilling holes in 'em and keep our walls clean!! I just bought a new house and I would love to keep our walls free of BML.

Thanks, BMXGirl, for sharing this most brilliant idea! Do the gliders really use the second hole to get in or would one hole be enough?

Jennifer

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/03/04 03:21 AM

Thanks Guys! laugh

I suppose one hole would be sufficient smile .... the reason I chose to do two is because I have two gliders that use it, there would is two ways out in case one glider is blocking one doorway... that way the other has a way out without disturbing the other. And in case they get irritated with each other for some reason, theres a couple ways out, etc... smile

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/05/04 01:14 AM

wave thanks again for the idea!! i made that food hut out of the cake cover & it works great!! we can even see them because the cover is almost clear. great idea! hey by the way, bmxgirl, do you or do you know someone that rides bmx? just thought i'd ask. thumb

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/05/04 01:33 AM

Thanks! Im glad its working for you too! Cool! thumb laugh

Yes I do know some that ride...
My Husband and I both ride... we are more interested in dirt jumps. (theres a pic here , and my valve stem covers all the guys giggle about...lol.) A few of the members here have seen our bikes hanging from the ceiling. laugh
I havent been on a ride in a awhile... been too cold out. I injured myself a couple summers ago... dislocated my hip and got road rash down one leg. Since then when its cold my hip hurts. frown Im not about to do that again. Ive eaten dirt several times, but that was the worst! Very painful! (and I even rode my bike back to the car that was 5-6 miles away after I hurt myself... I was too embarrassed to call an ambulance and I was afraid of what would happen to my bike, ohwell I knew they couldnt strap it to the ambulance... so I rode it back to my car... then cried and took care of it... roflmao ) My bike of choice is Redline, I bought my Daughter one like mine, except without all the extras... those will come as she gets older. wink Hubby rides vintage GT. smile

Ive slowed down now that Im getting older....stuff hurts alot worse! ohwell roflmao

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/09/04 12:50 AM

Thank you so much for the GREAT idea!!! clap I didn't realize what a messy eater Oscar was, until the first night he ate in his new dining room. We had to use a rectangular container, the round wouldn't go through the door. Thanks again!! thumb
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/09/04 03:29 AM

I made 4 last night. One for each cage and a spare for when I get my new kids from Judie and Sheila laugh They work GREAT clap

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/09/04 03:45 PM

Thank you! smile

Thats great you guys!!! Im so glad you found it useful as well!!! laugh

Ooooh Cyndiekb, Congratulations on the new upcomming additions from Judie and Sheila!!! heart

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 02/12/04 08:26 AM

Hope, I gotta hand it to ya...You're a genius! idea

We made a Glider Kitchen a couple of nights ago...works awesome! No more BML on the wall! We're gonna have to make another one for Pepper and Abby. We used a rectangular container as well...the kind you can find at the dollar store with the white lid...We just drilled a hole on either end and turned it up-side-down...it works great and fits perfect on one of the shelves in the boys' cage. Thanks again for the awesome idea!

Man! I love GliderCentral! mlove
Posted By: Lucy

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 05/25/04 06:48 PM

Hope, you have to be a) a glider's best friend, b) a glider OWNER'S best friend, and c) the most creative person I've ever known. You've saved countless walls from ultimate destruction.

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 05/25/04 09:30 PM

LOL!!! I think that it is d) all of the above!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao heart

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 05/25/04 11:04 PM

Those pictures are hysterical! Great idea.

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 05/26/04 12:36 AM

Thanks you guys! laugh

LOL...Lucy, your so silly hug2 ... I dont know about all that... I just chalk it up to being a little nuts at times, and obsessed with these little guys. heart Its bad, I cant go ANYWHERE without looking for potential Glider goodies. (Hubby laughs cause I cant even go to the auto parts store without scoping out all the stuff. glider

Im glad the Gliders Kitchen works for some of you... thats wonderful! Most the Gliders Ive seen that have tried it, it at least gives them a 'safe' place to eat... some seem to be more comfortable eating in an enclosed area away from prying eyes...lol. I know alot of the Glider mess too comes from them sitting at the plate/bowl and picking stuff up and flinging it if they dont like it, or shaking junk off their little hands. Mine works well for me. At times I still get a little bit of a mess, but Im happier with a little mess. wink

Thank you again... smile

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 06/16/04 04:11 PM

Hope, did you say that you put yours on the floor of their cage? I'm going to buy one today but do not have shelves in my cage, I do however have a very sturdy one. Any suggestions on where to place it? My gliders refuse to eat off the floor of their cage, they are silly. smirk laugh
Posted By: Sugar_Mama

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 06/16/04 05:00 PM

I use something similar to Hope's idea. I started out using those large ice cream containers with a door knob hole cut into it. Then I started using the same thing as I use for my nest boxes. They're storage containers with lids and a handle. Joel nicknamed them "BML Diners". Anyway, I put them on the floor of the cage and they don't seem to mind eating from there. For the cage that I bought at the bird show, I made a shelf out of closet shelving and that's where I put the "diner". Maybe you could make a shelf like that if yours refuse to eat on the floor of the cage.

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 06/16/04 05:11 PM

Hi wave

Yes, my 'kidos' eat their meal from the floor... always have. I used to keep their food dishes underneath a hammock so that they wouldnt get over it and potty in their plates... that worked for awhile until they started moving the plates around...lol. (not to mention the MESS!)
Ive found early on, with feeding mine low in the cage, they dont make as much of a mess on walls and such... instead, most of it ends up in/around the bottom. smile With the glider kitchen, I dont get hardly any mess at all now. (Woo-hoo!!! cause that stuff sure can be like cement once its dried to a wall...lol. wink )
If youd like to feed them on a shelf... maybe you might try the suggestion above if possible... or check out hardware stores, and bath/shower sections in stores...sometimes you can find some good ideas for shelving there. ::) (if you try to feed them on the cage floor...more than likely they will get used to it and learn thats where the food will be.)
Good luck with it! laugh

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 06/18/04 02:35 AM

Maybe I will try the slow transition to the bottom of the cage, if that doesn't work then I will need some help, hopefully from you Rischa since you and I have the same cage. i'm not too crafty. Thanks for the info this is an excellent Idea and i'm going to give it a shot this weekend. wave

Thanks for sharing!!!

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... (pictures :-) - 06/19/04 12:48 PM

Great Idea hope, luckily for now my glider doesn't fingerpaint on my walls, but i'm sure i'll have it coming.
Posted By: callejean

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 06/20/04 03:02 PM

Hey, thats a great idea. clap

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 06/20/04 11:46 PM

tahts a perfect idea, no more messes on cage bars, toys, wheel, wall, leaves, pouches, and everything else!!! You're a genius, BMXGirl!!

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 06/21/04 12:18 AM

Emphasis on GENIUS please...

She's Greta!!

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 06/21/04 12:56 AM

glider greta? i thought her name was hope! sorry alyssa, i couldn't resist. roflmao

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 07/17/04 11:31 PM

Hi, I just got my new glider,Trinket.I loved the idea of the kitchen so I made one for her cage. At All A DOLLAR I got a clear frosted oblong food saver,8 inches long, with a solid blue lid. I had my neighbor put a hole in one end, like for a door knob. Then using the blue lid for the
kitchen floor I put a piece of velcro on a ceramic coaster(food dish) and one on the lid,so Trinket couldn't move it. After I put her food in her dish for the night,I snap the food saver(that has the hole in one end) on top of the blue lid and place it in her cage.She loves it and in the morning I'm always finding toys she has dragged inside her kitchen.This is such a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing. Some of my friends with multi gliders say they couldn't get along without it(no mess!)

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 07/18/04 03:53 AM

Oh Thank You Mary Ellen! laugh
Im so glad its been helpful to you!
Awww, little Trinket (adorable name!) sounds like such a cutie!
(Dragging toys in her kitchen...hehe! Silly girly... how cute!)
Oh and I have to tell ya... Welcome to GC! laugh

Im so glad this has been helpful to some! Thats exactly what I was hoping for when I posted! smile

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 08/15/04 02:53 AM

Now if somebody will tell me how to attach that to my cage I will be in hog heaven!

DOWN COMES THE TOWEL OFF THE WALL!!!

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 08/16/04 12:32 AM

I'm new and about a month behind in time but for any other new people out there. I went to local dollar tree and they had these undershelf shelves (slip over shelf above to make hanging shelf) and I got one of those plastic shoe boxes. Use the shelf on bars of cage and put shoebox in it - now there was about 2 inch between the cage and the shoebox. What I did was take a short piece of hamster tubing with square put on end (from a hamster playground set) drilled hole as mentioned and use the tube as the go between with no danger of them getting out!

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 08/16/04 05:49 AM

glider i made my kitchens out of old plastic tubs with lids, like ice cream/sherbet comes in. one word of caution, tho. when making the holes for "doors," do NOT stab the plastic tub with the scissors. i did that, and was sorry i did. roflmao

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/04/05 06:14 AM

Wow I can't wait to try this out. smile Sounds like a lifesaver!
Posted By: iwuvmahmonkaypuppays

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/04/05 06:29 AM

wow this does sound awesome thumb lol my walls are a mess...the manage to get food all the way to my bed which is on the other side of the room lol darn food fights....well it looks like imma have to make a trip to the dollar store! roflmao

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/04/05 07:47 PM

don't own a cake pan but this sounds awesome. One question, do the parts lock tightly together?? If so do you think it would be possible to hang the bottom from the top of the cage and then put the food into the top and lock it on? That way they would still be up high. Or would it not hold that much weight?? Just curious.

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/04/05 08:40 PM

My suggestion if you go with hanging it from the top use an ice cream bucket. That way you already have a handle to hang it with, and it would probably be able to handle the weight. Its basically the same concept and comes with a lid. Plus you get the added bonus of an excuse to eat ice cream. ^_^

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/08/05 10:34 AM

This sounds like a great idea! I'm definitely planning on trying it when I get my Suggies... BTW, guys, are they really that messy at times? lol!

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/08/05 11:50 AM

Since the doors on our cage are about 9x11, I looked for an alternative container for this terrific idea. Dladware makes one of their semi-disposable plastic food storage boxes in 8x8x5 inch size. I cut holes with an Exacto knife and it has really cut down on the mess.
I'm not sure if Pebbles and Bam Bam are crazy about it, since they just seem to poke their heads in and take out 1 piece at a time so far, but, hey, if it doesn't work, I'm not out anything but a throw-away container cool

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/10/05 05:49 AM

Now how did I miss this fabulous idea. I will definitely add the contents needed to make this to my shopping list for tomorrow. Staples likes to pick and choose. Usually what he doesn't choose winds up in the carpet. Wait...adding carpet shampooer to my list next....hehehe

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 01/10/05 06:37 AM

I love the glider kitchen. I didn't think I really needed until I saw what a mess they really make inside the cake cover. I can't imagine living without it. thanks

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 03/12/05 07:50 PM

This is an outstanding idea. I have my cake saver and doorknob drill bit sitting behind me as I type this. Now I just need my darn drill to finish charging wink Target has a Sterilite cake saver with a big handle on the top. I suppose those that are having troubles with Gliders wanting to eat higher up in the cage could use the handle to hang the kitchen smile The clamps are extremely strong, and the handle is basically part of the top.

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 03/12/05 07:59 PM

Does anyone have a picture of their kitchens they made. I would love to see them.

Jackie

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 03/12/05 08:10 PM

Go to page one of this thread, and look at BMXgirl's attachments.

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 03/13/05 06:03 PM

Well we just got our gliders a week ago and we saw your idea and went with it. I love it!!! I didnt realize how messy those little girls are. The glider kitchen keeps it all in one place and very easy to clean. My boyfriend got velcro and put it on their food dishes and the other piece of velcro to the floor of the kitchen so that way they cant move their bowls all over the place. It also helps in not being as messy.

Thanx for the great idea! It was so creative. I dont know what I would have done w/o the glider kitchen. Plus the girls like it also! smile

~Erin

Re: The Glider's Kitchen... - 03/13/05 06:48 PM

WOW! I woudn't have thought of that! I can't wait to look for a cake plate made of plastic! Hey, would a large bowl with a lid work?
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL