GliderCENTRAL

New owner health concern

Posted By: VBclick

New owner health concern - 01/06/17 03:38 PM

I noticed several smaller breeders have a requirement on the or web sites - that you must take the glider you bought to the vet within 1-3 days and have fecal check too. So I have a couple concerns now. Do these breeders not do any kind of health screening for their babies? Are there common disease in sugar gliders or parasites? What should I look out for when I pick up my babies?

ETA: how often do you take your sugar gliders to the vet for well checks?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: New owner health concern - 01/06/17 04:02 PM

Some breeders have something like a 7-10 (example) health guarantee, so taking the joey to the vet for a well check and to get a baseline for later, is just prudent on the new owners part.

There are some breeders who ship where a health certificate is needed, however, it is still a good idea to have that first well check. There is nothing requiring them to do this otherwise.

As far as we know there are no common illnesses in gliders or parasites like in other animals where they need to be vaccinated. Yes, they can get parasites but usually not with the proper care and hygiene of their enclosure.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: New owner health concern - 01/06/17 04:56 PM

I take mine once a year. Due next month...
Posted By: VBclick

Re: New owner health concern - 01/07/17 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
I take mine once a year. Due next month...

do you do a fecal check yearly too?
Posted By: Feather

Re: New owner health concern - 01/07/17 02:42 AM

I know one reason for having the person adopting a glider from you take them to the vet in a set period of time is to ensure that the new owner forms a relationship and/or finds an exotic vet that will work on gliders.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: New owner health concern - 01/07/17 11:52 AM

Yes I do. The girls had a UTI (urinary tract infection) a year ago, so I will have that checked too. Their check up is comming up soon.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL