GliderCENTRAL

Sugar glider foot completely swollen

Posted By: Billybatz9

Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 04:17 AM

I don't know what happened.. it was just one day to the next, her foot got completely swollen. It's super fat and raw like she's been licking it all night. It has no more hair. Completely swollen (not useable).

She's eating and climbing like nothing, but the foot breaks my heart because I feel like there is nothing to do. It looks so swollen and infected (because it's raw and huge). The fingers are so swollen, they don't bend. The foot is like 3 times the normal size. I feel like it needs to be popped almost.

I've been doing a lot of research and was told to take the sugar glider to vet but exotic vet is about 1.5 hours away and are closed on weekends.

I read about using 3 things...
sylvadine
Scarlett Oil
Veticyrn gel

Can someone please help?

We seperased her from the other glider which she has lived with for almost 2 years now. She's on the hpw diet.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Billybatz9
I don't know what happened.. it was just one day to the next, her foot got completely swollen. It's super fat and raw like she's been licking it all night. It has no more hair. Completely swollen (not useable).

She's eating and climbing like nothing, but the foot breaks my heart because I feel like there is nothing to do. It looks so swollen and infected (because it's raw and huge). The fingers are so swollen, they don't bend. The foot is like 3 times the normal size. I feel like it needs to be popped almost.

I've been doing a lot of research and was told to take the sugar glider to vet but exotic vet is about 1.5 hours away and are closed on weekends.

sylvadine
Scarlett Oil
Veticyrn gel

Can someone please help?

We seperased her from the other glider which she has lived with for almost 2 years now. She's on the hpw diet.

Do not use sylvadine cream or Scarlet oil unless the glider is in an e-collar.

Is there a thread wrapped around it?

Any emergency vet can start treatment and get her on pain medication.

Can you post a picture?

I would get her into an e-collar, here is a link on how to make them, just scroll down: E-Colllar instructions.

If you click on the word "vets" it will take you to the database for Veterinarians that work on sugar gliders.

There is also a list of vets that will consult with other vets on sugar glider care. Print it out and take it to the emergency vet with you.

Please keep us posted on your little one.
I will be moving this thread in the morning to Health & Hygiene.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 12:57 PM

I will post a picture today. I checked the vet database and they are all closed today. Ugh.

And no thread wrapped around it. We checked
Posted By: mechnut450

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 01:47 PM

hey I just went though this and mine was results of a glider nipping at the foot and a infection started. My girl did great , we did warm compresses to help the swelling ( it hard to get them to hold still for it and kept spraying Vetericyn on it. ( we took her to the vet they gave us pain meds and an antibiotic for her.) the compress and vetericyn both help when the abscess popped and we drained it out.. if she will let you looking for any bruising on the skin and possible sore on the under side of her foot. ( these in our case showed she was bitten ) but doing this until the vet can help will hopefully make the abscess ( if she has one ) come up and be able to self drain. and that helps a lot Freya paw went down with in a hour of the abscess draining.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Feather
Originally Posted By: Billybatz9

sylvadine
Scarlett Oil
Veticyrn gel

Can someone please help?

Do not use sylvadine cream or Scarlet oil unless the glider is in an e-collar.

Is there a thread wrapped around it?

Any emergency vet can start treatment and get her on pain medication.

Can you post a picture?

I would get her into an e-collar, here is a link on how to make them, just scroll down: E-Colllar instructions.

If you click on the word "vets" it will take you to the database for Veterinarians that work on sugar gliders.

There is also a list of vets that will consult with other vets on sugar glider care. Print it out and take it to the emergency vet with you.

Please keep us posted on your little one.
I will be moving this thread in the morning to Health & Hygiene.

Originally Posted By: mechnut450
hey I just went though this and mine was results of a glider nipping at the foot and a infection started. My girl did great , we did warm compresses to help the swelling ( it hard to get them to hold still for it and kept spraying Vetericyn on it. ( we took her to the vet they gave us pain meds and an antibiotic for her.) the compress and vetericyn both help when the abscess popped and we drained it out.. if she will let you looking for any bruising on the skin and possible sore on the under side of her foot. ( these in our case showed she was bitten ) but doing this until the vet can help will hopefully make the abscess ( if she has one ) come up and be able to self drain. and that helps a lot Freya paw went down with in a hour of the abscess draining.

I'm posting a pic now. Brace yourself

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 02:10 PM

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 02:45 PM

I say vet asap. that looks like bad infection forming. I cant tell on the pc cause i cant get photo to zoom in. But the warm compresses will help until get there don't freak out if puss is coming out during so ( that nastiness leaving will feel so much better for the glider.) also sending you a pm with my number if you need to text some ( i not a expert but I do know it helps to text/talk to someone )

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 03:43 PM

Thank you so much! I would love to know how you did the warm compressess. I'll do that immediately.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 04:42 PM

The more time that goes by, the more time the infection has to build and spread.

As posted above, an emergency vet will be able to start treatment.

Vets Who Do Phone Consults With Other Vets. Print this list and take it with you. This little one needs help as soon as possible.

Moving your thread to our Health & Hygiene Forum now. Please keep us updated.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 05:18 PM

Found an emergency vet. Going now

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 05:20 PM

Good! Keep us posted!

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 05:38 PM

Wonderful.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: KarenE
Wonderful.
Good! Keep us posted!

Update. Vet says it may be the start of SM. He wants to put her on anti-inflammatory, antibiotics, and pain meds.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 06:06 PM

He also says there's no way to put a cone on her...
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 07:47 PM

The cone will still allow her to reach her foot. Make a satellite ecollar instead.
I'm so glad you were able to get to a vet! Can you give us the names (not the dosages!) of the medicines he gave you?

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 07:52 PM

How to Make A Satellite Collar

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 09:38 PM

Baytril and Metacam

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 09:40 PM

Also 3 injections so that it can get into her system right away. One was an anti-inflammatory, one was pain killer, and one was antibiotics.

Is baytril and metacam good?

Grand total of $206.00 :thumb2:

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 10:34 PM

Yes, those are used often with sugar gliders.

Please keep us posted on his progress.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/29/17 11:00 PM

Yes, those are used often with sugar gliders.

Please keep us posted on his progress.
Okay thank you. Will do.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/30/17 02:56 AM

Billy with both can offer a little food with , ( most the time they not willing to take on their own) we found a little juice of some type help mask the taste some. so don't fret lol also you might need to switch the type of juice every 3rd dose lol(they smart little turds)

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/30/17 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By: mechnut450
Billy with both can offer a little food with , ( most the time they not willing to take on their own) we found a little juice of some type help mask the taste some. so don't fret lol also you might need to switch the type of juice every 3rd dose lol(they smart little turds)

The vet showed us a way to give it to him, but I'll use the juice method. I also have HPW diet, so maybe I'll just use that.

Update, swelling has gone down a tiny bit today but the fingers are turning darker in color rather than all pink like in the photo. Now they are turning like a dark red/brown. This worries me.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/30/17 04:49 AM

This was today, an hour after getting the shots. As you can see, the fingers were a bit darker than the photo we took yesterday night.

And tonight, they are darker than this photo. I will try to get a photo each day.

Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/30/17 12:05 PM

Wow. Looks really good! And thank you for preparing me for looking at the foot.

Giving meds is no fun for sure. I'm so glad she's getting better!

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/31/17 08:03 PM

This is today guys. He was sleeping all day, then I saw this when he came out. He had his medicine this morning.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/31/17 09:37 PM

He needs to go back to the vet. The little toe doesn't look good (black), and it appears he may have nipped at that second toe.

Definitely needs to be seen again.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/31/17 09:39 PM

Now he has peeled the skin off. It looks painful.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/31/17 09:55 PM

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 01/31/17 10:16 PM

Can you get him into an e collar. You do need to take him back to your regular vet.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/01/17 02:14 AM

From the looks of it. It seems that the skin that is peeling was blister skin and that skin is also the black that yu see. I will call vet in morning to Make an appointment.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/03/17 12:40 PM

sadly it does look like he may loose 2 toes in those pictures. (the vet will let you know. I also think a e-collar will be a good idea to help him leave it alone.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/03/17 04:14 PM

We haven't heard from you in a few days. How is she doing?

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/05/17 04:26 AM

I have terrible news!! And some good news.
I'll start with the terrible news. Our female glider passed away today. We aren't sure what it was. It might have been depression from being apart from her bf these past few days or something else. She was always fed fruits,vegetables, and hpw diet. It was really sad.

On the bright side, the male gliders foot is doing much better. He is still on antibiotics. I will post a pic for you tomorrow.

Here Is the problem that we face now. We have one male glider who has always been by himself (not neutered). And now we have the one with the messed up foot who was with his gf for two years (neutered), but now he doesn't have a gf to go back to. How dangerous is it putting both males together?
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/05/17 06:23 AM

I can't speak to the intros/risk, but I wanted to convey my sympathies for the loss of you girl frown I'm so sorry to hear that. Happy to hear your boy is doing well!

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/05/17 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Hutch
I can't speak to the intros/risk, but I wanted to convey my sympathies for the loss of you girl frown I'm so sorry to hear that. Happy to hear your boy is doing well!

Thank you very much.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/05/17 03:06 PM

I am very sorry for your loss.

I would not introduce them to the other male until you get the other male neutered.

The boys will fight, possibly to the death or severe injuries over the female.

Once neutered, and the testosterone levels go down you can introduce them.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/05/17 04:23 PM

I agree 100% with Feather. They should not be introduced until the other male is neutered and given time to heal completely.

That will also give the other's foot more time to heal as well.

Personally, I would not try introductions until the foot is healed and the neutered is healed. Then go slow with the introduction.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/05/17 09:40 PM

As promised, here is a pic from yesterday.
As you can see, the foot is less swollen, the pinky has less black on it. And he is using the foot more now to grab the bars.

He's still in a small cage. Like a bird cage because we didn't want him to move arundel a lot. Since the female was the one who passed, would it be okay to put him in the large cage now? It's four stories. I feel so sad for him. He has all that room now with no gf.

And for the others who replied, the female is the one who died, so they wouldn't have a female to fight over. Would they still fight?

And.. how much is neutering a male glider?

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/05/17 10:34 PM

Yes, an unneutered male and a neutered male could still fight. Usually when I leave boys together they are together from weaning or they are siblings.

I see nothing wrong with putting him into his large cage, just keep an eye on him.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/09/17 03:40 PM

Male glider seems like he is going to make a full recovery (did not lose a toe). Pinky is now nice and pink (not black). He is now in his big cage. Now I need to find another female for him before he gets depressed of loneliness. He was looking all over the cage for his gf. So sad.

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/09/17 04:02 PM

So good to hear he has made a full recovery grin
Posted By: Stef333

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/09/17 04:35 PM

Yay for keeping all of his toes! Great news. smile
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/09/17 06:02 PM

:yes:
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/10/17 12:13 AM

:hdance: Whew! Thank goodness! Great news! Thanks for keeping us posted!

Re: Sugar glider foot completely swollen - 02/10/17 05:05 AM

:thumb2:
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL