GliderCENTRAL

Injured Tail W/No Vet Instru/Help!

Posted By: Cherylr1995

Injured Tail W/No Vet Instru/Help! - 12/13/17 09:57 AM

Please help me my sugar glider is about 5 years old ive had him for 3 my first par of i ever got my male yame ended up escaping when i was out of town and my friend did not tell me he got out or couldnt find him. I got back sunday night and did my fround at my 3 cages and he was gone no where to be found i started calling to him and there was barking under the couch i got him out and his tail was half gone and dead with still attached bone really infected i took him to the vet and he is on antibiots and pain med but we have to get the infection under control befor they can amputate it cost 175 for them to do xrays and and pain meds and told me to soak his tail in warm water and epsom salt and the surgery is 450 the dec 26. He didnt show me how or anything and i have gliders for 3 years noting like this ever happned and i have 8..some one please help me
Posted By: Feather

Re: Injured Tail W/No Vet Instru/Help! - 12/13/17 11:40 PM

Is he leaving his tail alone? If so follow your vets instructions.

When you do go in for the tail amputation tell them not to shave the tail at all.

I have discussed this with a vet in KY, here is a link to their clinic http://www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pages/Detailed/2214.html

Maybe give your vet their information and have him or her call and consult with their exotic vet.

I had an emergency tail amputation done there when we were at the SGGA in KY.

We no longer shave for neuters or tail amputations and we have found that they leave themselves alone after they clean up. They may remove the stitches that night but it is usually sealed good by then.

Also tell them NO Glue, it drives gliders nuts and they can do a lot of damage by the time they get the glue off.

Please keep us posted on your little one.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Injured Tail W/No Vet Instru/Help! - 12/14/17 02:46 AM

Hi, and :welcomegc:

I know you are a little stressed right now, and I will leave the advise to the experts.

I just wanted to welcome you and ask to keep us posted on your little one. This will be a learning tool for me to help gliders in the future.

Prayers to you and your little one...

PS: Happy thoughts too... smile
Posted By: Terry

Re: Injured Tail W/No Vet Instru/Help! - 12/15/17 03:31 AM

Hi :welcomegc:

I don't know anything about amputations, but wanted to offer prayers for you and your glider to make it through this ordeal. There are some members knowledgeable, like Kimberly here, she would be a likely source for trustworthy information.

Please hang around, and please keep us posted!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL