GliderCENTRAL

Advice on E-Collar

Posted By: 0ptimusPrime

Advice on E-Collar - 12/27/17 10:27 PM

Hello all-

My suggie has broken a foot about a month ago and has been in a "cast" or a thickly wrapped bandage since. The vet says the deep tissue has healed but it will not heal completely topically while being wrapped up. Today she told me of two options, either try the e-collar (which he really hates) or to amputate the foot! She wants to sedate him first and put the e-collar very tight so he can't take it off. I would like some advice on what to expect and perhaps any adjustments to the cage, feeding area that anyone has done? I would really appreciate it. I REALLY don't want to get to the amputation part. He is neutered and I remember he didn't really pick at his wound at all. I remembered it healed on its own...so that could be a good sign?

Thank you!!!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Advice on E-Collar - 12/28/17 12:37 AM

If you have a hospital cage that would be best. Otherwise a short cage where he can't climb high.

If it were one of mine, I would use my medium pop up dog kennel.

Here is the link to my pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/lqciyljzpbstfcq/AABlp1mK9qkG4D4VDHK9SAGRa

For traveling, I built a PVC frame and added fleece covers. For a bottom it's just a scrap piece of fleece.

You may have to hand feed and water him depending on the size of the collar.

Re: Advice on E-Collar - 12/28/17 01:15 AM

Thank you so much!

Do suggies really do go for the their wounds and start eating at them? Majority of his foot has healed; it's just that it needs to superficially heal and it won't form a scab due to it being enclosed and moisture build up.

Also, he has a great appetite and his demeanor is great. In fact he eats a lot!!! However he has lost about 20 grams since the incident. It's very strange...

Anna

Re: Advice on E-Collar - 12/28/17 01:45 AM

If his wound smells, tingles, or if fur is missing, wet or clumped, yes they will groom it till it feels right.

Mine went after a freckle on my neck. Lol!

Re: Advice on E-Collar - 12/29/17 12:01 AM

Did any of your suggest have an e-collar? if so how did they acclimate to it? I fear mine is going to be fighting it for a while. My biggest concern is feeding. I can hand feed him but not at night of course. Also, how would he sleep with the collar on? Any advice?

Re: Advice on E-Collar - 12/29/17 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: 0ptimusPrime
Did any of your suggest have an e-collar? if so how did they acclimate to it? I fear mine is going to be fighting it for a while. My biggest concern is feeding. I can hand feed him but not at night of course. Also, how would he sleep with the collar on? Any advice?

I don't have personal experience with an ecollar, but I have had to talk a few members through the process by doing research.

And I can safely answer yes to all questions.

A lot depends on the ecollar as for them able to feed themselves or drink water. Dishes can be lifted or tilted for easier access with a collar.

Sleeping in a pouch can be a challenge too. They usually require a wide sleeping pouch or An OE (open environment) pouch is helpful too. Extra blankies are recommended too for comfort.

Re: Advice on E-Collar - 12/29/17 12:15 AM

Thanks Dawn! Are there different types of ecollars? We have an appointment where they will sedate him and put the collar on snug. and then they will see how he will react. The purpose is for his foot to heal. I researched your advice on small traveling crates, but i fear that if it has some fish he will try to climb it and it's not good for his recovering foot. So i was thinking of getting these plastic panels that enclose a certain area and place blankets on the floor for him?
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL