GliderCENTRAL

SUB Q

Posted By: josefine

SUB Q - 02/09/18 02:25 AM

is sub q just water injected into the back of the neck to help it get hydrated?
I've done this quite some time ago, and I thin it was just water. I have a friend who needs help, and, of course, cannot go to the vet.
Posted By: Claralice

Re: SUB Q - 02/09/18 03:20 AM

It means putting the iv needle just under the skin so it can slowly be absorbed. And no you should not use regular water. Ringers Lactate warmed but this glider really needs to get to the vet if dehydrated-fast!
Posted By: Hutch

Re: SUB Q - 02/09/18 06:01 AM

It's a sterilized saline solution designed to match body chemistry, not plain water.
Posted By: Feather

Re: SUB Q - 02/09/18 09:05 AM

Josefine,

They are correct it is a sterile water that is used to SubQ, a vet would be needed to tell you how much to give as too much will put them into congestive heart failure.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: SUB Q - 02/09/18 03:55 PM

Josefine,
Just because you have given subq fluids to a glider of yours in the past does not mean you are in a position to do it to a glider belonging to someone else now.

This should never be done without consulting a vet as dehydration may not be the only issue going on with the glider. There are many things the vet takes into consideration when determining treatment.

Posted By: josefine

Re: SUB Q - 02/09/18 10:40 PM

the little glider did end up dying not long after I posted this last night.
I don't know how he is going to feel about getting another one as now he just has the one left.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: SUB Q - 02/09/18 11:19 PM

So sorry to hear this, Josefine. Chances are the little one was more ill than the owner realized.
Posted By: Feather

Re: SUB Q - 02/10/18 05:37 PM

So sorry to hear this Josephine.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: SUB Q - 02/10/18 06:10 PM

A friend is always a good idea. Especially if they were lifelong cage mates .

Glide free little one! :rbridge:

Prayers that he makes a good choice.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL