GliderCENTRAL

Overgrooming?

Posted By: glidersug

Overgrooming? - 04/21/19 03:18 PM

Hi everyone! Newbie here, haha
I'm close to adopting two male sugar gliders (both will be nuetuered) very soon. I get regular updates and it appears one males eye is a little "swollen"? I'm not sure what word to use but the eye isn't open fully. A small amount of fur is missing as well. Its been about a month and its slightly improved. The person tells me it's because the mother is agitated and overgrooming them. Is this normal?
I know things happen and they have their own way. Just wanted to learn more about this, thank you! (:
Posted By: Xeno

Re: Overgrooming? - 04/21/19 04:22 PM

Hard to know without understanding the situation. Why is the mom so agitated? Not sure how overgrooming would mess with his eye but I am less experienced then many here and hopefully they will help more.

Re: Overgrooming? - 04/21/19 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Xeno
Hard to know without understanding the situation. Why is the mom so agitated? Not sure how overgrooming would mess with his eye but I am less experienced then many here and hopefully they will help more.

I was told its because the boys were nursing too rough with her. I'm not sure either, but I'm no expert haha.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Overgrooming? - 04/21/19 08:21 PM

To me it sounds like the joey with they eye and momma need to be vet checked. Her to make sure she doesn't have mastitis and him to make sure the eye is ok.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Overgrooming? - 04/22/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Feather
To me it sounds like the joey with they eye and momma need to be vet checked. Her to make sure she doesn't have mastitis and him to make sure the eye is ok.

:agreed: :thumb2:

Re: Overgrooming? - 04/22/19 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ladymagyver

:agreed: :thumb2:

thank you for the replies!
seeing as she isn't mines, I can't do that. The person is a vet tech (obvs not for exotic pets, I know) so hopefully she's all good. They're passing it off as something not to be concerned about, but I'm wondering if that's true or not. I want to buy healthy gliders as I'd be a first time owner, but don't want to overreact haha
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Overgrooming? - 04/22/19 10:42 AM

I would be concerned about the Joey's eye. I would want to make sure he fully recovered from Mom's over grooming. I would also pass on the Joey until he 100% recovers from this and is given a clean bill of health by a vet. I would also be concerned that the Joey may continue to overvgroom himself in the future due to a neurological disorder. Just my thoughts. Being a first time owner, I would want the best for you.
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL