GliderCENTRAL

Growth near jaw?

Posted By: WeirdTigger27

Growth near jaw? - 05/25/20 09:54 PM

This is Herschel, he is 11 years old. He went to the vet in March for a check up and to have his nails trimmed. He got a clean bill of health. The vet did agree that he is getting old and some of his habits will change, but he still comes out of his cage for play time with me and runs around and jumps. I can hear him running in his wheel in the middle of the night too. I haven’t changed his diet the entire time that I’ve had him. I noticed what seems to be a growth near his jaw line. I took these pictures while he was sleepy, he is shy and doesn’t like his picture taken. wink I just wondered if anyone else has seen this before and has any thoughts.

Attached picture 9498F83F-FF7E-42B0-A70E-7726319B2B3F.jpeg
Attached picture D3FF9FBF-88AA-4884-8E23-75630BC344F2.jpeg
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Growth near jaw? - 05/26/20 04:05 AM

Welcome to Glider Central.

I've not experienced this, but any lumps should be checked out as soon as possible by the vet.

He may have a bad tooth. Or an abscess.

Posted By: KarenE

Re: Growth near jaw? - 05/26/20 01:32 PM

Looking at the pictures those were my thoughts as well. A vet check is definitely in order. Please keep us updated on what they find.

Re: Growth near jaw? - 05/26/20 04:34 PM

My poor little boy. They were booked up until Thursday morning. I’ll keep a close eye on him and monitor his eating and activities closely. Thank you all anyway.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Growth near jaw? - 05/27/20 02:43 PM

It does look like an abscess, when you do go to the vet make sure the do x-rays to see if there is any tooth involvement.

Re: Growth near jaw? - 05/28/20 02:57 AM

Please keep us posted. I would like to know what is causing his trouble...

Re: Growth near jaw? - 05/28/20 04:34 PM

Herschel and I got back from the vet a little while ago. I was up every hour last night checking on him and feeding him when needed. It was an abscess. The vet drained it. Because if his age, she recommended we start him on an antibiotic and anti inflammatory every 12 hours for a week. If the issue reoccurs there is another vet(whom Herschel has seen before) that may be able to perform surgery on him. I asked her what might have caused it because he’s had the same diet this whole time and I’ve been caring for him the same way I always have and he’s never been sick at all. The only guess she has is his age.

Re: Growth near jaw? - 05/29/20 01:26 AM

Thank you for the update. I hope he's feeling better soon!!!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Growth near jaw? - 05/29/20 02:13 PM

Thank you so much for the update and so glad the vet took good care of him. Sending good thoughts for his speedy recovery.

You are doing an amazing job taking care of him. Keep those updates coming.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL