GliderCENTRAL

Safe for toys?

Posted By: Dancing

Safe for toys? - 11/18/04 06:54 PM

I have been searching and haven't been able to find the answer to this.

Are pine wood dowels safe to make glider toys out of? I know fresh pine branches are not because of the oils/sap. Same for pine shavings but the dowels are seasoned, kiln dried so would be very limited in the residual oils.

Would Oak be better?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Safe for toys? - 11/18/04 07:03 PM

I've been wondering the same thing! I hope someone answers this for us! I've got a ton of perches that came with my cages that I'm sure are pine. I need to know if I can put them in there or if I should just toss them.

Re: Safe for toys? - 11/18/04 07:04 PM

sorry to add a question to a question but...are dowel rods you buy at wal-mart made from pine? Is this what most dowel rods are made from?

Re: Safe for toys? - 11/18/04 07:07 PM

Yes, the dowels at walmart and most hardware stores are pine. I have a bunch of oak that my hubby can turn into dowels for me if they would be better to use but convience wise, the store bought dowels would be easier.

Re: Safe for toys? - 11/18/04 07:33 PM

I know oak has a rating of 3 & 7, so, basically, it's not any better than pine.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Safe for toys? - 11/18/04 09:20 PM

Actually pine is used in most of the wood toys that you see made for birds (such as the swings and ladders).

The main problem with Pine wood is mainly the smell which can cause respitory problems and the sap (which you only get from fresh pine).

I think that the dowel rods you are talking about would be fine to make toys out of. I have several ladders and a couple swings that are made with dowel rods and my gliders havent chewed on them.

I do however keep a cottonwood branch and manzanita branches in their cages for them to chew on.

Hope this helps.

Re: Safe for toys? - 11/19/04 06:43 AM

Thanks Peggy. I have been using bamboo but have such a limited supply that I am trying to find an alternitive. I have manzanita branches in the cage and so far have noticed NO chewing at all on them. Good to know about the oak. I'll tell my hubby not to spend the time with it. Thanks bunches!

Re: Safe for toys? - 11/19/04 07:49 AM

Really?? They don't like the manzanita? Mine adore it!!

Re: Safe for toys? - 11/20/04 07:46 AM

My gliders just don't seem to chew on things, food and snacks exception. Oh and occasionally my fingers!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL