GliderCENTRAL

Most bird toys safe?

Posted By: Anonymous

Most bird toys safe? - 12/04/04 08:05 PM

After much debate and pacing in the pet store, I finally bought a 'Kladder' Ladder toy in the bird section - it's like a wooden chain link of ladder sections, and each is dyed a different color - I've seen a lot of this food-coloring looking dye on the wood in bird toys, and am wondering if there will be any problem with this particular toy...I am getting my gliders on Sunday and plan on watching them with it to see if they start gnawing on it like crazy.
I want things to be as safe as possible, but the community has got me whipped up into a paranoid state, I feel like I might as well keep them in a plastic bubble.
There's a picture attached of the toy in question.

Attached picture 309352-ResizeofRotationof2004-12-04046.JPG
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Most bird toys safe? - 12/04/04 09:33 PM

I have one of those and I believe they are safe. One of the main things to look out for are things that they can break off and eat or things that their little toes or their tail can get caught in. I have many bird toys in my cages and haven't had any problems with them. I will tell you, Gliders usually LOVE things with bells. Just get ones that either have the cowbell shape or the liberty bell shape. The jingle bell shape (ball shape) isn't very safe for their toes. Trust your instincts and watch how your gliders act with each new toy. You will quickly learn what your gliders like and dislike. Also, most human baby toys are great too! I buy tons of them at the thrift store for next to nothing. Teething toys, linking toys, rattles, stuff like that. Wash them with a 10% bleach solution and rinse real well and air dry.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL