GliderCENTRAL

Activities for gliders

Posted By: BlueSol

Activities for gliders - 02/11/14 01:09 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas on activities (or active toys) for my gliders. For example, here's the two I have that I'd qualify as activities/active toys:

-Wheel for running
-Rings the gliders like to collect on their tails and bring to the pouch
-Foraging toys for snacks

We have lots of other toys in the cage, but the gliders seem pretty passive about them... they're usually just a way to get from one spot to another.

Any other ideas for active toys / activities for the gliders? Just looking for ideas to keep them from getting bored. We've looked at lots of toys, but most aren't what I'd call "active", like running, collecting rings, or foraging.

Thanks in advance.

Blue
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Activities for gliders - 02/11/14 02:08 AM

My gliders like things they can crawl into.

One favorite is an inexpensive toddler shape sorter Castle, the like to go in and out of the large holes as well as the 'Drawbridge' door.

Fisher Price little people houses are also a big hit. These are often found at garage sales, minus all the small pieces which gliders don't need anyway, for next to nothing. You can also find them in thrift stores.
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Activities for gliders - 02/11/14 12:52 PM

Mine love their wodent wheel which sits on the bottom of the cage as a sort of ball pit. I put all sorts of little things in there: treasure chests with treats in them, mini barrel of monkeys, fleece strips, ping pong balls, fuzzy balls, army men, etc.

Also, I take wiffle balls and stuff it with fleece strips. I leave a little bit of each strip poking out of the holes. In the morning all of the strips are pulled out of the ball. You can also stick a couple of treats inside that once you have it partially stuffed with fleece.

I think what you're looking for is what we call 'reset' toys. Every day you have to put them back together or reset them so they can take them apart again grin
Posted By: BlueSol

Re: Activities for gliders - 02/11/14 09:39 PM

Thanks for the ideas! And yes, I think you're right about the "reset" toy term.

I'll have to look into the little toy castle idea... and I know I have some wiffle balls and fleece, so can give that a shot, too.

Blue
Posted By: sliderglider

Re: Activities for gliders - 02/11/14 10:15 PM

I was looking for ideas too for the bottom of cage. All the toys I see o line are the hanging kind and we have plenty of those. We made ball pit with pompoms and have another with more ping pong type balls in a little plastic basket they love to tip over. The fleece strips in a wiffle ball is great idea. Love to hear from others so I change things up once in a while. I wish more the creative people making toys would think of bottom of cage too.
Posted By: ringtail

Re: Activities for gliders - 02/12/14 01:21 PM

I put mealies in old tic tac contianers. They have a ball trying to get em out!
Posted By: Terry

Re: Activities for gliders - 02/12/14 02:13 PM

You can get wiffle balls and stuff straws or fleece strips in holes, then hang them. It's a reset toy, meaning they get to have fun pulling the stuff out and you get to reset it for the next night. With fleece strips you can also just place on floor for more challenge.

Mine like them, but get board after a few nights, so I only keep them in for a week, then take them out for a while.
Posted By: KMacD

Re: Activities for gliders - 02/13/14 07:12 PM

So you guys actually leave these toys in the cages over night? I'm such a paranoid new mom that I wasn't sure if you could leave things in the cage for them to have unsupervised play time. :-)
Posted By: ringtail

Re: Activities for gliders - 02/13/14 08:34 PM

As long as the toys are safe, i wouldnt see why you couldnt...
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Activities for gliders - 02/14/14 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: KMacD
So you guys actually leave these toys in the cages over night? I'm such a paranoid new mom that I wasn't sure if you could leave things in the cage for them to have unsupervised play time. :-)

Yes, these things are left in the cage overnight so they have things to play with. They only things you can't leave are toys that have questionability in regards to their safety (ie: ropes, things they could get stuck in, etc).
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL