GliderCENTRAL

What to use to make a ball pit?

Posted By: Anonymous

What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 02:05 PM

I have lots and lots of wiffle balls, now what do I use/buy to make the outside of the ball pit? I have only seen a small mesh container used, but that cannot be left in a cage.
Posted By: Nikki

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 02:16 PM

You can use a rectangle plastic basket. They have them at the dollar tree. I made one out of Landware.
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 03:18 PM

I use plastic containers from the houseware section at Walmart.

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 04:07 PM

Ok forgive me for not knowing, but can i see a pic of a this? I just figured out what a coco peep was, LOL!

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 05:43 PM

I get plastic baskets from the dollar tree and fill it up with balls, which I also get from there... It works great... now if they would just learn how to pick up after themselves! lol

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 05:52 PM

I made a super ball pit for my girls. I went to the Dollar Store and got a gallon-sized tube shaped container. It's like a plastic cookie jar or something - had a screw on lid. Found it near the pitchers and cups and such. Anyway, tossed the lid, drilled a small hole in the center of the bottom and strung a 2-3 foot fleece vine through the middle leaving a little dangling out the bottom (later switched to plastic chain for easier cleaning). Filled with balls, hung up, VOILA! It's a plus that my plastic jar thing is pretty see through so I can see them in there. I like to drop a couple mealies in there and watch them dig for them smile . Makes for an extra deep pit, but they can still easily get out with whatever is strung through the middle. Hope that makes sense - good luck wink
Posted By: Nikki

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 05:53 PM

Here is what mine looks like. I used landware cloth to make it.
Ball pit

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 05:54 PM

Mine is actually a plastic jack-o-lantern left over from Halloween...I just turn it on its side, so they can get in and out of it easily...
Posted By: Sabrina

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 06:07 PM

I use landware and to attach the sides, fleece. This way you can customize it to match your cage set colors, and you have conrol over the dimensions.

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 06:14 PM

OMG! Just like the ones at Chuck-E-Cheese! I get it now! lol...still new at this.. smile

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 06:26 PM

Here is my old one (I also tossed flowers and leaves they picked off of plastic vines in there):

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/explicitbrit/Carmella/?action=view&current=Picture129.jpg

and here is my new one - it's in the background. Sorry I don't have a good one of it handy. It's also full to the top with balls now.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/explicitbrit/Carmella/?action=view&current=DSCN2517.jpg

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/03/08 06:31 PM

I have seen the plastic dust baths for chinchillas filled with tiny plastic balls used for a ball pit.

http://www.chinchillacity.com/cages-supplies/cat_2.html

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/04/08 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Brittney
Here is my old one (I also tossed flowers and leaves they picked off of plastic vines in there):

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/explicitbrit/Carmella/?action=view&current=Picture129.jpg

This is the same one I use - you can get them at the Dollar Tree!

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/09/08 05:20 AM

Do they really have fun with this??? Is it safe???

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/09/08 05:21 AM

also where do you get the balls?
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/09/08 05:35 AM

I found practice golf balls in the sporting goods section at Walmart. I also wash and remove labels from prescription bottles, add 2-4 bells, put the lid back on and toss those in the ball pit too. My gliders love them cause they make noise. Warning tho.....don't leave unattended because one of my gliders can get the childproof lids off!!

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/09/08 05:28 PM

Ping pong balls & bits of fleece are fun too...
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/09/08 05:35 PM

Gina, I thought ping pong balls were a "no-no" because of the construction of their material, etc.....?

You can find the practice golf balls (orange, white, neon yellow, etc) in the sporting goods dept of such famous places as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Meijers, etc for $4-$5.00. If you're lucky, you can even find them in the clearance rack at these places (somebody took 1 ball out of the package, there are still 11 left kind of thing). Add a few strips of fleece 4" long by 1" wide & put them in with the balls.

As far as the container, you don't want to get anything much higher than 3" to 4". There are plastic crates almost everywhere...just watch for SHARP EDGES (leave them THERE if they have any at all!)

I have a "new-comer" to my loving home that I filled his crate with golf balls, then drop 6-8 mealworms & a couple Yogies in there (that was the ONLY thing I kept in his cage from his previous owner). It's so much FUN to hear him foraging around, then stopping to munch on his treat, then forage some more. I have a couple pictures of him "in action"...I just need to load them into my Photobucket file.

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/09/08 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: minkasmom
Gina, I thought ping pong balls were a "no-no" because of the construction of their material, etc.....?

I hadn't heard that - please enlighten me...

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/09/08 09:34 PM

I found my plastic golf balls at Big Lots in the toy section. And I use a bowl I bought at xmas time to put cookies in. It's the right height for plenty of balls and her to climb in. She seems to love to just go around the bottome and you can see the balls raise up where ever she is. It's so neat!
Posted By: Holly1221

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/10/08 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Rhapsody
I have seen the plastic dust baths for chinchillas filled with tiny plastic balls used for a ball pit.

http://www.chinchillacity.com/cages-supplies/cat_2.html

ya know on that site, that "polka-dot-hideout" thingy would be perfect to use.. if it wasn't made out of pine.... *grr* [*grumbles to self*]
Posted By: Donnarae

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/10/08 02:30 AM

I used a clear plastic run-around ball thing like you'd put a hamster in so it could roll all over the floor. I anchored it to the cage so it wouldn't move and just left the lid off. It is harder for them to throw the balls out.
Posted By: zookeeper18

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/10/08 02:56 AM

Make sure and check out the Dollar Tree or Dollar Deals for the "practice golf balls" that's where I got mine for a $1!

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/11/08 12:19 AM

So these are safe to put in their cage unattended. Because I would like to try this if it safe for them..
Posted By: jannee66

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/11/08 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Monster
Originally Posted By: Brittney

This is the same one I use - you can get them at the Dollar Tree!

Ditto

Re: What to use to make a ball pit? - 07/11/08 09:44 PM

Ok I went and got most of the stuff to make mine last night I will post pictures when done!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL