GliderCENTRAL

Fleece vs. Polyester....

Posted By: WintersSong

Fleece vs. Polyester.... - 12/01/09 06:49 AM

Well, I picked up some fleece today (4 yards -- but the woman gave me about 8, because evidently I'm a "darling" as she put it..). Or at least, it says fleece on a part of the label.

On the other, it says "%100 polyester" ...now I was pretty sure that polyester and fleece were pretty much the same thing, but I've been told by people "do not use polyester for your sugar gliders!"

...so I went back to the fabric store and hunted around for a fleece that did not say "%100 polyester" ...and, notta.

So..what's the deal? Part of the label says fleece, the other says polyester. Some say it's the same deal, others say not at all. Some say it's okay to use, others say nope "only fleece".
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Fleece vs. Polyester.... - 12/01/09 07:25 AM

Most if not all fleece IS polyester. I know all the fleece I have and have always used is polyester. Polyester is just the type of fiber it is made out of. Such as cotton, wool, poly-cotton blend are all fiber types.
Posted By: WintersSong

Re: Fleece vs. Polyester.... - 12/01/09 09:22 AM

I thought so.. so now I can go about attempting to make some cool cage sets! ...or at the very least, a cage cover.

Sewing's not my strong point..and I only have a handheld sewing machine.. but we'll see. If I come up with anything good, I'll post some photos for opinions on safety and all.

:grey: :grey:
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fleece vs. Polyester.... - 12/01/09 05:01 PM

Yep, fleece is SYNTHETIC! *gasp* I thought the same thing when I "found out". I was like "Wait a minute... " roflmao Check out my how-to videos if you need some pointers. wink
Posted By: rdobbie23

Re: Fleece vs. Polyester.... - 12/01/09 06:13 PM

Ok now I feel stupid! I thought that fleece and polyester were compleatly different?! blush I like the polyester ones much better! They seem to be softer!
Posted By: Zeki

Re: Fleece vs. Polyester.... - 12/01/09 06:20 PM

Um yeah.. wow.. I thought they were differnt too.. Hrmmmssss... Welp Awesome I learned something new today.. so my task of searching the internet is over with for new things today..
Check Marks off " learn something new today" off my list..
ok Waite!!!! that is all I have on my list of things " to learn something new constantly.... Laughsss..

ok Now Imma go check out some of your video's to make more things properly for my babies..
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Fleece vs. Polyester.... - 12/01/09 11:26 PM

Polyester is a synthetic - as in man made fiber where cotton is a plant fiber - a natural fiber

Fleece is made of polyester.

Polyester is also frequently used to make a knit type material that would be a problem for glider nails.

It is also blended with cotton to make all sorts of fabrics for clothing - the poly/cotton fabrics are the ones that are "permapress".

Wintersong - be careful using a hand held sewing machine - make sure you can set it for a very tight stitch - short stiches. If it sews using a single thread making a chain stich it would not be safe for gliders.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL