GliderCENTRAL

Cleaners

Posted By: CharmedSuggies

Cleaners - 03/25/10 05:06 PM

ok, I do have a steam cleaner for my cages which works great. However I sometimes don't have the energy to drag it around to use it.

I used to use Seventh Generation, all purpose natural cleaner w/o scent & it says it's safe for animals. I went last week to get another bottle but now they only have it with lemon grass scent. So that's out of the picture.

I WILL NOT use vinegar & water because when I did try it, it still stunk and left the cage sticky so in my opinion, it does not work.

Does anyone use or know of any animal safe, no odor cleaner that I can try??
Posted By: eterrell84

Re: Cleaners - 03/25/10 05:17 PM

OMG i JUST got done cleaning my cage with vinegar and water, and then used my steamer on it. IT STINKS SO BAD! the smell is NOT going away and im in the same boat you are in!
i have some of this (http://www.sierrasolutions.com/products/Clean_Simple-1-1.html) stuff, but not used it yet. i bought it years ago from a truck in the nieghborhood, (paid $60 for a gallon) but its a concentrate, and i still have it 3 yrs later... but its an idea. we use it to clean the inside of our fishtank, where the water line gets.... but will use it next time i clean my suggie cage! let me know what you think. (and i bought a handheld steamer off ebay for $20... but not crazy about it. what kind do you have? its okay and light.... but water doesnt last long, and doesnt seem strong enough for me)

Re: Cleaners - 03/25/10 05:23 PM

At least someone else see what I mean about vinegar & water. Imagine what the gliders think in having to smell it also sleeping in the cage pouch.

I bought a Wagner 905 from Lowe's for $99 and it works great. It has a strong steam stream that works well & gets very very hot so I know it works well on top of my scrubbing.

I just need something I can use in between using it that is safe w/o smell for the gliders' sake.

I also forgot to add that I cannot drag my cages outside to wash like most people do so that is not an option for me.

Re: Cleaners - 03/25/10 07:16 PM

i cant either! i have a 520 rept. and i steam it to not have to wash it often... the covers are custom, so i dont want to tear them up... i may look at a better steamer, mine is good for small sections, but as for the mesh, it just doesnt seem to cut it! do you have a rept or just a large cage with bars?

Re: Cleaners - 03/25/10 09:13 PM

I have 5 bar cages. Mine cannot have a rept because I know they will chew right through it in a matter of seconds.

Re: Cleaners - 03/25/10 09:25 PM

oh geez! thats a LOT of cages! lol
Posted By: vagraphix

Re: Cleaners - 03/25/10 09:27 PM

see I use vinegar and water and have no problem. I use white vinegar in a bucket with hot water then use a sponge to wipe down the cage, rinsing often in the bucket. I don't spray it on unless i have a gunky spot, but the scrub brush usually takes care of that.

i keep a scrub brush in the bucket for stuck on stuff. I also have a steamer but only use it occassionally.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cleaners - 03/25/10 10:17 PM

I wash mine with hot soapy water and then rinse well. I use Seventh Generation dish soap. Put I also wipe mine down everyday and I wipe the tray down with clorox anywhere spray.
Posted By: PintoLady09

Re: Cleaners - 03/25/10 11:42 PM

Dawn dish soap is suppposed to be good for all sorts of sensitive animals, is it safe for gliders? I remember them using it on the wildlife that was coated in oil when a oil ship spilled/leaked... Also it's supposed to be safe enough for very young cats and kittens... I just didn't know if gliders were the exception... (gliders as in their cages...not them)

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 12:01 AM

You know, i've heard about Dawn being animal safe. I know they use it to clean those poor wildlife soaked in oil and stuff but I don't see it as a problem using it as long as you rinse well.

Dawn is all I use for dishes so I might have to try it to clean their cages. Thanks for reminding me about that PintoLady!

I know my friend uses it on her dogs to get them really clean & to help with her one dog in getting tangles out easy & safely.
Posted By: vagraphix

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 12:06 AM

never thought about using dawn to bath my dogs with. I will have to try that.

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 12:07 AM

lol, it works great, i've seen her dogs & they look good
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 12:14 AM

I use the chlorox non bleach wipes for all of my cages and it works great. I can't wheel my cages up out of the basement and outside in Michigan weather to hose them down either. Sure wish I could!

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 12:46 AM

dawn will also kill fleas on the spot! its wonderful for that! i use the foam stuff! its amazing!
Posted By: Damiana

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 12:56 AM

Here is a link to what I use to clean my cage its very safe and never had problems plus its made for small animals

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753346
Posted By: PintoLady09

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 01:05 AM

About the fleas *i know off topic* it will only kill the fleas if you suds the animal up very well and let set for a minimum of 5 minutes. It suffocates the fleas.

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: PintoLady09
About the fleas *i know off topic* it will only kill the fleas if you suds the animal up very well and let set for a minimum of 5 minutes. It suffocates the fleas.

i know it probably says to do so, but i put my dogs in the tub, get them wet, and use SEVERAL pumps of dawn foaming dish soap, lather them up really well, then just rinse them off. ive never waited any amount of time, but you can just SEE the fleas fall off them! its incredible! also, another old timey one, is to wash your dog in TIDE, then just leave them kinda soapy, and play outside til they dry off.... said if you leave it in the fur, it will keep them from coming back for a few weeks too! now dawn will NOT keep fleas from coming back, but it kills instantly! then you can put your frontline on in a few days.

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 01:45 AM

Thank you Misty! hug2
Posted By: Heathr6913

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 02:04 AM

I absolutely can't stand the smell of vinegar. It makes me sick. So I've never tried it on my glider's cages.

I haven't tried it yet but this one looks good http://www.petco.com/product/13344/Natur...upplies_ShopAll

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Damiana
Here is a link to what I use to clean my cage its very safe and never had problems plus its made for small animals

Im currently using this too.. Does the job well~ but it gets a bit pricey when you have huge cages ROFL.

Has anyone ever heard of napikleen? The detergent we use to wash nappies. I was thinking of using that at one point.. But im not sure if its safe for the shugs frown
Posted By: WintersSong

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 03:06 AM

Saw on the sweetspot that Val uses this to clean her cages: http://www.petedge.com/product/Home-Kenn.../427/46993.uts. I haven't tried it yet, but I am ordering some of it.
Posted By: babz154

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 12:14 PM

wow glad to know i am not the only one that uses dawn lol..a few times i have seen people ask what to use and i wanted to put what i use,but i was afraid of getting the "Not Safe" speech it does work very well along with wiping down the cage every other night or so with clorox non bleach wipes

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 12:51 PM

You all rock! Thanks for all the different cleaners. I will have to choose one & try it & go from there because it dos get pricey when you have 5 cages to clean.
Posted By: Damiana

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Whisperia
Originally Posted By: Damiana

Im currently using this too.. Does the job well~ but it gets a bit pricey when you have huge cages ROFL.

I also buy the large 32oz. bottle and pour half of it in another and store it.
But with the half that is in the spray bottle I will fill the rest of it with water since it is very high concentrated and it helps make it stretch since it can be pricey...
but it is also better to by the large bottle every time because the little bottles cost is higher per oz.
You can also get these wipes in the below link and just do touch up wipes on the wheel or pull out tray. They say for clean critter but the formula is the same and safe for small animals as well I just would not ever wipe a glider down with this because they do a good job cleaning them selves.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753305

hope this helps

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 04:40 PM

yes it does Misty, I will try them both, thank you very much!
Posted By: Donnarae

Re: Cleaners - 03/26/10 05:36 PM

Don't know about the Napikleen? Just be sure you rinse well and there is no soap residue still on the bars. I do a vinegar/water rinse after cleaning.

Re: Cleaners - 03/30/10 02:11 AM

Quote:
I used to use Seventh Generation, all purpose natural cleaner w/o scent & it says it's safe for animals. I went last week to get another bottle but now they only have it with lemon grass scent. So that's out of the picture.

Personally I would still use this, you dilute it with water for one and by the time it dries I wouldn't think it would smell anymore. I take my critters out of the cage when I wash it and it's always dry when I return them. It's animal safe so I think I would at least try it. Plus the price is really reasonable
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL