GliderCENTRAL

Sticky Fly Traps?

Posted By: Anonymous

Sticky Fly Traps? - 08/29/05 03:28 AM

I have a lot of fruit flies and was wondering if it is safe to put those sticky fly traps by the cage. Not on them, but by them. I have 3 separate cages and the fruit flies are driving me absolutely nuts! I swear they mulitply by the hundreds. LOL

If not, any suggestions as to how to get rid of those pesky little buggers???
Posted By: USMom

Re: Sticky Fly Traps? - 08/29/05 03:34 AM

I don't know the answer, but we have had the sticky mouse traps before. If you get stuck to it, or your glider does, or any pet, they say use vegetable oil. I got stuck to one, and tried to pull it off, and took skin with it. Be very careful with them. Suggies, if they can reach it will pull it in the cage.

Re: Sticky Fly Traps? - 08/29/05 04:00 AM

I wouldn't put them too close to the cage where the babies could reach them. They also would be hanging from the ceiling and not on the wall or on the floor. They would be different than mouse traps.

Thanks for the tip as far as the veg. oil though. :o)

Any others?

Re: Sticky Fly Traps? - 08/30/05 12:07 AM

I suspect it would be okay - the only thing I would be worried about is taking the suggies from the room with the flies - out for play time. Because I know if I took my gliders out and there was a long spiral thing hanging from the cealing they would want to investigate.

Re: Sticky Fly Traps? - 08/30/05 03:42 AM

Oh, they don't get free range on the apartment. They are only allowed in the bathroom (gliderproofed) or in the tent with me.

Anyone have suggestions that would not include this sticky trap?
Posted By: USMom

Re: Sticky Fly Traps? - 08/30/05 05:28 AM

I do, but you won't like it. Clean the house really good, scrub out the trash cans, make sure there is no food left out, period for about 3 days. You are going to have to scrub the glider cages really well, then clean their pans every day for about a week. It doesn't take too long to get rid of them, but you will have to be diligent about making sure there is no place for them to live. The food you give to the gliders at night is fine, just make sure it comes out asap in the am.
We had them, and I did that, and discovered a small tomato behind the toaster that they were living in. They can also live in standing water, and houseplants that have been overwatered.

Re: Sticky Fly Traps? - 08/30/05 08:57 PM

Oh man... hahaha, you're right... don't like that. I am a huge neat freak and my apartment is SUPER CLEAN. You can eat off my floors clean. The only time I see these things are in the gliders cage. I use puppy pads so I shake out everything everyday and I go to class in the a.m. and the gliders are usually still out so I don't want to take their food away from them.

Standing water, what constitutes as standing water? Toilet water? I do dishes after we eat everytime b/c I hate looking at dirty things. (I think I have OCD). Yes, I know, very anal about everything.

This is why these darn fruit flies drive me CRAZY! hahaha...

Thanks so much, I will def. try your suggestion today and break out the vinegar/water solution. :o) Appreciate it, Shawna.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Sticky Fly Traps? - 08/30/05 09:15 PM

[:"green"]In answer to your question about the sticky fly traps. I definitely DON'T recommend them. I had one in my bathroom last year above the vanity lights. One day Allira decided to go exploring and it got stuck to her. It was a huge mess trying to clean her up. It took lots of rubbing alcohol & bathing and she hated every second of the ordeal. In addition to all of that, it didn't really get rid of any of the fruit flies. They just weren't attracted to it at all.
There were two things that finally got rid of the fruit flies in my house. 1) I flushed all the drains throughout the entire house with boiling water. 2) I went to PetSmart and purchased the bird-mite thingys that are made to hang on the side of bird cages to prevent birds from getting mites. They really worked on the fruit flies.
Also, a friend of mine, who is a science teacher & owns a glider, told me about some little fruit fly traps you can buy at Marc's. I haven't tried them cuz I don't have the problem any more.

Re: Sticky Fly Traps? - 08/30/05 09:30 PM

What is Marc's? I am going to go buy the bird protectors today. Thanks for the suggestion. I was weary of the sticky stuff, but didn't know what else to do. Okay, boling water, check. Thanks Suz.

Re: Sticky Fly Traps? - 08/30/05 10:28 PM

I flushed all of the drains and that got rid of most of mine. They are super pesky and i am SUPER ocd most of the time, so i know how you feel.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL