GliderCENTRAL

How long is TOO long?

Posted By: Jen_n_Bear

How long is TOO long? - 09/30/14 04:06 PM

Kit and Cub are 4 weeks OOP today! I already have a good home for them when they are ready. The thing is, the new owners want to give them as a Christmas present. They'll be between 15-16 weeks by then. Do i need to have them in a separate cage from their parents before then? They new owners are going to have Cub neutered while he is still with me so i'm not concerned about him inbreeding, should i be concerned about Kit being bred by her dad? What about bonding issues with their parents? Do they need to be separate just so it won't be so much like splitting a colony? These are my babies, I want to do this right and not make it any harder than it has to be. I so appreciate any advice!
Posted By: Feather

Re: How long is TOO long? - 09/30/14 04:08 PM

Yes, I would put them both in their own cage so that the father doesn't mate with his daughter.

You could move them into their own cage when they are about 10 weeks OOP. That is typically when I wean my joeys.

Re: How long is TOO long? - 09/30/14 04:38 PM

That's what i was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation! Is it ok to have them in the same room pretty close to each other, or should they be totally separate aka different rooms?
Posted By: Feather

Re: How long is TOO long? - 09/30/14 05:00 PM

They can be in the same room. All of my gliders are in the same room of the house.

Re: How long is TOO long? - 09/30/14 07:40 PM

okie dokie! Thank you Kimberley!
Posted By: Kesha

Re: How long is TOO long? - 11/03/14 02:51 AM

Yes, I agree. I would put them in their separate cage and keep them on the same room. I keep my 5 gliders in the same room.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL