GliderCENTRAL

Trios

Posted By: anongliders

Trios - 03/10/15 06:57 PM

Are male based breeding trios actually safer than female based trios? Females pull joeys out of jealousy and males will care for another males joeys. (is what i was told)
Posted By: Feather

Re: Trios - 03/10/15 08:06 PM

I have no experience with trios. I know people have left a son in after he was neutered and they make very good uncles. Not sure how two brothers would work though.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Trios - 03/10/15 08:13 PM

If you are referring to a trio with a female and two INTACT males - there could be fighting between the males each month when the female is in heat over breeding rights.

You would also have no way of knowing which male was the father of any joeys produced.

If the trio is a female, one intact male and a neutered male it may work. If the neutered male was neutered BEFORE he began to mature, he may never have developed any interest in mating and probably will not conflict with the other male when the female is in heat. If he was neutered after reaching maturity he may still attempt to mate with the female each month and also may fight with the other male.

I have 3 colonies of gliders. In the first one there are two females and two males that were neutered as young joeys. I have never observed ANY mating behavior in this colony.

The second is a trio of probably related gliders that came to me from a glider rescue. The two males, probably father and son, were both adults when they were neutered and even after 5 years they will both attempt to mate with the female when she is in heat, but they do not fight with each other in doing so.

The third colony is a family colony and I have had the neutered sons (neutered young) living with the family actually help care for younger joeys, staying in the pouch with them while the parents were out and even carrying them around in the cage.

There is no guarantee with any trio - it would be best to have a second cage available in case there is fighting and you have to separate out one of the males to protect the young joeys.
Posted By: Kesha

Re: Trios - 03/16/15 01:44 AM

I have two unrelated females and 1 intack male. I keep the females separated in two separate cages, however I recently put the male in the cage with the 2nd female. I want to know if I would need to reintroduce the male to the 1st female since he's been living with the 2nd female for about 2.5 month? Im trying to breed both females.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Trios - 03/16/15 01:52 AM

Gliders are colony and family oriented. They get attached deeply to the gliders they've bonded with and it's not fair to them to separate them from each other. If your single male and the one female are together and getting along, they are bonded. If you're asking about introducing the other female to the pair to create a trio, please follow introduction protocols. Also please make sure of lineage for all three gliders.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Trios - 03/16/15 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Terry
Gliders are colony and family oriented. They get attached deeply to the gliders they've bonded with and it's not fair to them to separate them from each other. If your single male and the one female are together and getting along, they are bonded. If you're asking about introducing the other female to the pair to create a trio, please follow introduction protocols. Also please make sure of lineage for all three gliders.

Not only that, but the father plays an important role in raising the joeys.

You would be better off finding another male for your other female.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Trios - 03/16/15 03:32 AM

Since you have already moved your male into the cage with the second female, I would leave him there and let him help raise any joeys produced.

If the other female is carrying joeys you will have to help her by caring for the joeys to keep them warm long enough for her to get out of the pouch to eat and get some exercise each night.

Switching the male back and forth between the two female's cages would be very stressful for all of the gliders and could cause problems with their ability to care for the joeys. Their behavior is not predictable but the stress could possibly cause them to injure or kill the joeys.

Are you planning on keeping all of the joeys?

If you are hoping to sell the joeys, you need to be aware that it is illegal for anyone to purchase joeys in the State of Georgia unless they are buying from a USDA LICENSED BREEDER. With only 2 females, you would not qualify for a license (MINIMUM of 4 breeding females)

Selling the joeys legally would require you to find buyers outside of the State of Georgia.
Posted By: CLo1227

Re: Trios - 03/19/15 12:03 PM

i have a reverse trio. 1 neutered male and an intact male and female. My neutered male was neutered young, and he is a great uncle and joey sitter to any joeys. He does a great job helping mom and dad with joeys.

I also have 1 trio. The girls have been together their entire life. I introduced my male and one of the girls now has a single joey in pouch. I will have to monitor closely to see how well this trio does. I am also prepared to accept that it may not work out. The only reason I decided to try a trio is because of how well the girls get along and how docile they are.

If you're wanting to breed both females, you would need to check lineage and find a suitable match for your other girl. As said before, you should not attempt to swap the male back and forth. The males help the mother out immensely and play a big role in teaching joeys how to be a glider.

You definitely need to be USDA licensed in order to breed and sell to ppl in Georgia. It is against the law to do otherwise and would put your joeys in danger.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL