GliderCENTRAL

Vet won't neuter until 16 wks

Posted By: lmw142

Vet won't neuter until 16 wks - 05/22/15 07:46 AM

Hello,

I posted awhile ago because I adopted some gliders, 2 males and 2 females. The females were already pregnant when I got them, but I didn't know it. So we have 3 new little gliders. We ended up with one male and 2 females.

My issue is that the male is 12 weeks old now, and I've spoken to my vet about getting him neutered. The vet will not neuter him until he is 16 weeks old. I don't want any more surprise babies, so what should I do?

I don't know of any other glider vets in the area, and wouldn't want to go to a vet I don't know well for surgery anyway. Isn't it going to mess up their family dynamic if I separate him from the group for 4 weeks?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Vet won't neuter until 16 wks - 05/22/15 02:43 PM

It is extremely rare for males to mature and mate at sixteen weeks. Your little one is only twelve weeks now which the majority of us consider just old enough to leave mom and dad.

I personally don't think you have anything to be concerned about waiting four weeks.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Vet won't neuter until 16 wks - 05/22/15 10:48 PM

Karen is right, you should be ok for a few more weeks.
Posted By: lmw142

Re: Vet won't neuter until 16 wks - 05/23/15 06:57 AM

Thanks! I was worried because I have seen posts on other sites where people insisted that male gliders could be sexually mature at 12 weeks.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL