GliderCENTRAL

Breeding for colors, have tripple het male.

Posted By: Mike

Breeding for colors, have tripple het male. - 11/06/15 05:22 AM

So i just has a wonderful opportunity land on my lap, and i took it, i just picked up a proven breeding pair, that just had their first litter.

The male (you can find him by searching "Sterling (lollipop)") is a True Platinum Mosaic, 100% leu het, 66% cremeino het. (i am quite positive the cremeino het was proven, but i will double check with last owner) His inbreed percentage is 2.5039%

The Female (you can find her by searching "Daisy Girl (lollipop)") is a True creameino, under remarks it says "FFR and BB lines" Also her father possibly had the WF gene. Her Inbred percentage is 3.8482%

Together with virtual mating the COI is 4.2793%

Now to my questions, first off, what will that combination produce/how often? Now since i have a triple het male, it makes no since not to get him 2 more females, considering his genetics, what would be the BEST possible match, in terms of producing the highest priced joeys? I am willing to spend around 2k for the second female, and up to 3500 for the 3rd. (Will take me 2-3 months to get the 2nd, and 3 more for the 3rd)

Given price is not too much of a factor, (i will still be looking for deals on a young adult if i can, but what is the best combo for my male?

Thank you very much! (ill upload some pics of them soon)
Posted By: Mike

Re: Breeding for colors, have tripple het male. - 11/06/15 05:29 AM

Is a COI of 4.2793% low for the offspring? Is it too high for me to try and sell breeding rights to some of the joeys? Also, given the parents lineage, what can i expect the offspring to be concerning het?
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Breeding for colors, have tripple het male. - 11/06/15 02:44 PM

Are these your first gliders?

Quote:
Now to my questions, first off, what will that combination produce/how often? Now since i have a triple het male, it makes no since not to get him 2 more females, considering his genetics, what would be the BEST possible match, in terms of producing the highest priced joeys?

Getting him 2 more females - may not work out as you might think.

Joeys need BOTH parents to help raise them. The father 'babysits' to keep the joeys warm while Mom has some time each night away from the joey to eat and get some exercise. He is very important in teaching the joeys how to be independent gliders.

Breeding your male to THREE female gliders would either require two of the females to raise the joeys alone after spending just enough time with the male to become pregnant

OR if it was your plan to have the male and 3 females as a breeding colony - you might be setting yourself up for heart break as the females are more likely to fight, pull each other's joeys from the pouch and killing them or just loosing joeys before you ever know the pregnancy has happened.

Female gliders can be very territorial when joeys are involved and breeding trios rarely work unless the females are twin sisters that have always been together.

You may want to consider getting another well matched breeding pair rather than buying other females to go with your current male.

Quote:
in terms of producing the highest priced joeys?

This makes me sad. Did you purchase sugar gliders to be beloved pets - or for potential income?

If the pair has just had their first joeys - unless one of the joeys is a Cremino then the het has NOT been proven. Proving a het trait requires producing a joey with that coloration.

Even with all of the potential het combinations - your gliders may still produce joeys that have standard grey coloration if they do not receive the recessive color genes from both parents.

There is VERY LITTLE PROFIT in breeding sugar gliders. The cost of the gliders - in your example 3 full cage set ups, vet care, and feeding the gliders - it may take YEARS to recover just your start up costs given that gliders produce only one or 2 joeys with each pregnancy. Many pairs only produce joeys once or twice a year when they are housed together all the time.

Please take some time to educate yourself on breeding gliders. Are you prepared to hand raise rejected joeys - that is a 24/7 job for several weeks? The information on this web page is a must read before jumping into breeding gliders.

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/educationalarticles.htm
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL