GliderCENTRAL

When to send joey to new home.

Posted By: Cathayvet

When to send joey to new home. - 01/05/17 03:37 PM

Things have been rough for me the past few months, stressful and not as much free time. I have a joey , OOP 11/1/16, I am thinking about giving to a good home. (single glider, needs friend) What age is best to send to new owner. And yes my male is now neutered.
Posted By: petsugargliders

Re: When to send joey to new home. - 01/05/17 04:01 PM

Most breeders recommend between 8-12 weeks out of pouch. The variance is usually a result of how a breeder determines when a joey is out of pouch. Some breeders also believe that joeys closer to the 10-12 week mark are better prepared emotionally.

8 weeks: The breeder counts the OOP date when the joey is both detached and no longer fits its entire body inside.

10-12 weeks: The breeder sees the body OOP for the first time but the whole body still fits inside the pouch.

Signs of a fully weaned joey (must never be younger than 8 weeks out of pouch):
• Is no longer suckling on the mother
• Eats all types of food available (fruit and vegetable, protein, staple, vitamin source)
• Drinks water from either a bowl or water bottle
• Eliminates waste without stimulation
• Tail is completely fluffed out
• Moves around the cage and uses toys, forging items, and wheel without assistance
Posted By: Cathayvet

Re: When to send joey to new home. - 01/06/17 12:48 AM

I haven't seen her drink, but eating pellets and greens. Very active on her own. Not worried if anyone is in the pouch she is in. I still plan to wait another 3 to 4 weeks.
Thanks.
Posted By: Feather

Re: When to send joey to new home. - 01/06/17 05:01 AM

I don't let them go until they are at least 10 weeks. Just as Jennifer said they are more emotionally stable.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL