GliderCENTRAL

Breeding Shortens A Females Life

Posted By: AlyCatz

Breeding Shortens A Females Life - 03/25/18 01:54 AM

Somebody has claimed that if your female is constantly breeding, it will shorten her average lifespan from the stresses being put on her body. Is this correct? I feel like instinct may sort of "tell" gliders when they are ready to breed again. During that time, she would be what I call "on cooldown" where her body rests and recovers from having her previous joeys. When she said "constantly breeding" I was thinking of either the male consistently assaulting the female, or that the pair just kept mating at an unhealthy pace, whether she's pregnant, nursing, etc. (The source is older, but I'm still curious since they never updated the claims.)
Posted By: Feather

Re: Breeding Shortens A Females Life - 03/25/18 04:11 AM

That would be something to poll a bunch of breeders. I know of one breeder that has said her females don't live as long. But that could be just her house.

That is an interesting thought though.

Re: Breeding Shortens A Females Life - 03/25/18 04:39 AM

Should I make a seperate post on the breeding forums for a poll?
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: Breeding Shortens A Females Life - 03/25/18 06:58 PM

my leah and Lakota are 9 yrs. old now. leah had over 16 joeys and doing good. she has lost weight but still plays in the glider play room.

all my retired breeders are past 5 yrs. old now, have had many joeys and still doing great.

Re: Breeding Shortens A Females Life - 03/27/18 09:10 PM

Alright, thanks for the input! Granted, it is an older video I viewed that gave the information but still. It didn't hurt to ask! ^_^
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL