GliderCENTRAL

New Member Lucky w/Joeys

Posted By: Luckey

New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ladymagyver
Originally Posted by Luckey
On a positive note at least one Joey is OOP. Both parents were down eating and I heard some little chirps which caught my attention. Kalili immediately responded and went to the pouch. Lutana was shortly behind him too.

Ooooo!!! Too sweet!!!

I have a question for you about pouches.

Disclaimer: I have never nor will I ever breed, so I ask these questions to help others down the road... Yes I will parrot, but only when no one else is available.

What kind of pouch are the parents sleeping in currently, and at this point, is it wise to only have one sleeping pouch in the cage? I have read parents may abandon joeys if there are other sleeping options.

Thank you for being on subject and giving me something to think about.

I have 3 available pouches in the cage. The one they prefer is a round one and I haven't washed it since she was preggo. It smells. I was scared of that given when I was a child with puppies you can't touch them for a while or the male might eat them.

Any advice on this subject?

Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 07:29 AM

Let's see, if I recall, the momma will take to a pouch and if I'm not mistaken, will do better with the stinky pouch since you have one Oop.

Your story about them being attentive in hearing Joey cry and checking on him made me feel good about their parenting.( I have read too much on parent rejection lately, but try to inform myself in case I'm on nightshift here and help/ advise is needed now.) Of course anything (change) can affect them. New noises, smells, diet change(oops!), Anything out of the ordinary.

If it we're me, I'd keep the preferred pouch untill the Joey can climb out on his own. Momma will continue to clean him up.

A lot of people try to handle the joeys too soon IMO. But it will depend on the mom and dad.

Feather is one of our experts that can answer that question with experience behind her.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 07:35 AM

So I shouldn't wash the stinky pouch? Or should I also remove the other options?

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 07:48 AM

I wouldn't wash the pouch momma is sleeping in.

I would remove other sleeping pouches if it we're me. Especially since these are new parents. They are doing fine so far. Usually one parent stays with the Joey's while the other eats and does their business. When you said dad went to check on crying Joey, he's still figuring out his roll in raising Joey's.

I would watch them close for a few days to make sure joeys are attended to. They aren't good at holding their own body temp yet.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 08:06 AM

I found this link under Breeding and babies:

https://petsugargliders.com/bsggrowth.php

You can open a new topic under Breeding and babies:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/6/1/breeding-babies

And others who watch this topic can help you out too. Karen can fix this where she can migrate the pertinent questions and answers to your new thread also.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 08:11 AM

I think there is still one in the pouch? which could cause his confusion. He has been circling around her at all times.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 08:21 AM

If she's showing a moving lump, it's possible. A nervous dad. Lol!

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 08:22 AM

He also may be interested in in mating with her too, and she's not receptive to it yet.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 08:26 AM

I almost bought a couple night vision spy cams to watch them.
But I wouldn't want to edit that much video.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 08:28 AM

Oh, he might try and mate again at this point?!

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 08:31 AM

I almost bought a couple night vision spy cams to watch them.
But I wouldn't want to edit that much video.

Me too. Although I have an issue of dominance/take over in one of my cages right now. I walk in the room, all is good, I walk away, and they hiss and crab and squabble at each other. Stewie just turned a year old and he wants to overthrow 4year old Dot... Long story... But I want to catch them at it... No wounds, just a lot of noise.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 08:40 AM

Well, breeding is not an interest of mine. I did know the male was still fertile. my mom always said let her have one litter a least but she was talking about dogs and cats.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 08:58 AM

Yes, she can have joeys, and he will try to mate with her. And, she can put those eggs in stasis for up to a year. There isn't much you can do about it today, again this needs to be moved where it will get more exposure and others with experience can advise you better than me.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 09:04 AM

Wow, I had no idea of this. I was planning on having him fixed after this but from most of the text they wouldn't breed untill I removed the joeys for a couple months.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 04:25 PM

Females are also capable of storing fertilized embryos until she is ready to release them so they can make their way into the pouch to attach to the teet and begin growing shock This is how you get joeys after the male has been neutered. Many owners have been shocked by this miraculous happening , including me rofl

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 06:00 PM

Wow, I had no idea of this. I was planning on having him fixed after this but from most of the text they wouldn't breed untill I removed the joeys for a couple months.

After thinking on this, I realized I read something similar about that too. Then I read that male Joey's can become sexually mature at 4 mos Oop... Am I correct?

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 06:01 PM

I forgot to ask if you still only have one Joey Oop, and if he's ok?

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dawn
After thinking on this, I realized I read something similar about that too. Then I read that male Joey's can become sexually mature at 4 mos Oop... Am I correct?

I have also heard this is possible, however, I think it is more rare than the norm for sure. Remember four months is only 16 weeks out of pouch. Still babies IMO.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/30/19 06:41 PM

Well, I don't know for sure. I don't want to stress them out so I haven't been looking in the sleeping pouch much. When I do both of them block the opening just staring at me and chattering. I'm scared to really reach in there and hurt someone.

I do know the one experience last night that I explained but not sure if there was one or more when Kalili responded. My guess is one is still in the pouch and one is out. This is new as of yesterday. The video I posted was the night before.
Posted By: Feather

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 03/31/19 02:47 AM

Just some small pointers for you:

Only have one sleeping pouch in the cage for them, so the parents don't move to another sleeping place and abandon the joeys.

Give them an extra serving of everything, if there are 2 adults in the cage give them enough staple, fruit and vegetables for 3.

Female come into heat right about the time the joeys come out of pouch, so she could already be pregnant again.

Females can carry joeys in stasis for up to a year. I had a pair hold joeys for 6 months. It is a big surprise when you go to feed them and find three when the male was neutered 6 months earlier.

I will give them a clean sleeping pouch when the joeys have their eyes open. Some people will put them and the dirty pouch on the floor of the cage and let them move themselves to the clean pouch. I just move them to the clean pouch. I also trim nails that day too. (Not on the joeys)

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/03/19 08:39 AM

Feather, I appreciate the advice. I still have the pouch at about 5ft off the ground lvl.
I think there is only one Joey. I haven't heard multiple sounds at once. I don't think this shows rejection but both the parents may ignore sounds from the Joey if I'm loading the foraging toys so maybe I need to do that during the day or take the toy out and load it?

They just ignore the sounds and look at my fingers like hot dogs. I don't treat then that much though. Like one worm per two toy parts. Or some yogurt drops.

So, over the last few days I've heard at once a single tiny bark at a time and nothing else should I assume not to handle it for like 5 more days? She has no more joeys unless they are very tiny still.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/03/19 08:53 AM

Feather, I appreciate the advice. I still have the pouch at about 5ft off the ground lvl.
I think there is only one Joey. I haven't heard multiple sounds at once. I don't think this shows rejection but both the parents may ignore sounds from the Joey if I'm loading the foraging toys so maybe I need to do that during the day or take the toy out and load it?

They just ignore the sounds and look at my fingers like hot dogs. I don't treat then that much though. Like one worm per two toy parts. Or some yogurt drops.

So, over the last few days I've heard at once a single tiny bark and nothing else should I assume not to handle it for like 5 more days? She has no more joeys unless they are very tiny still.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/03/19 08:58 AM

When I say a single tiny bark I mean one at a time.

So I think is there was more then one in there I'd hear a harmony. Of barks.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/03/19 03:25 PM

I don't think you would necessarily hear a harmony of barks at this point. If you have not seen any body part protruding from her pouch (even if you have) they are still attached to the teet. They do not detach and re-attach inside the pouch while they are still inside the pouch.

Once they are fully out of pouch, they will still nurse and their bark will be different.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/03/19 08:01 PM

Yeah, the one that I know of is fully OOP and detached. They do occasionally leave it in the pouch alone to eat their meal but react when it barks.

She doesn't appear to be carrying anything in her pouch anymore.

I haven't taken the opportunity to peer in the sleeping pouch as I think I should wait another few days before handling the Joey.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/04/19 08:21 AM

OMG. I just saw 2 joeys out of pouch. They were swarming my female as she came out of the sack. One was trying to get on the back and the other was a little smaller. Now all back in the sleeping sack. They were sO cute. And i thought i got it all on video but i didbt hit the damn button.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/04/19 10:27 AM

Congratulations!!! :yes: :lshower:

I wonder if you can still buy bubblegum cigars???

What, no video? :thumb2: Done that myself... Ok, there will be another time...

In the meantime I'm was hoping for two!

Edit:::

I meant to say "In the meantime, enjoy your 2 babies, and by the way, I was hoping there were 2 babies!!!"

Note to self, have a sip of coffee before trying to type two thoughts at once. shakehead I got excited!!!!! :jump2:

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/04/19 05:03 PM

Congratulations, Granddad. Isn't it so exciting when you see them for the first time dance Just relax and enjoy. Cannot wait to see pictures or video.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/05/19 12:21 AM

I did get a photo that shows both but not any video. I don't know the preferred method of photo upload this site prefers though.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/05/19 12:50 AM

If you go to "Use Full Editor" There is a feature at the bottom left corner of the Reply Box you can upload photos that way.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/05/19 12:53 AM

Pic1
Bashful parents.

We got one... One

And there are 2!!! Two

well the links open fine for me but google wants their cut and my drive belongs to them. I'll attempt to make a slideshow with better pics anyway and post it on youtube which is owned by google..

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/05/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Feather
If you go to "Use Full Editor" There is a feature at the bottom left corner of the Reply Box you can upload photos that way.

I just did the google drive link.

Is there an option to embed? so the pic is just there and no click needed?

Oh the upload is limited to 500k. I cant even take a pic at that resolution on my phone.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/05/19 03:09 AM

I download the pictures from my phone to my laptop and just make them smaller. They do show up in the post if you use the file manager.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/05/19 03:55 AM

Are the pictures viewable as I put them or shall I try another option?

Google seems to want a hand in the transaction somehow.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/05/19 03:59 AM

I guess I could even make a short slide show on YouTube for all the fuss.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/05/19 10:26 AM

I love baby pics! Thanks for sharing and keep them comming please!

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/05/19 02:34 PM

They are so cute. Cannot wait until they are fully OOP.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/13/19 09:03 AM

So I just decided to make a slideshow and post it to Youtube. Its kind of fun playing with the effects too.

One of them was trying to climb out the sleeping pouch last night which caused my to lower the sac down to the lowest lvl it can still hang thou. it was like all the out on the top and Lutana was just staring at me.

Anyway here is the link: New Joey pics

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/13/19 11:53 AM

Wow! That was fun! The Joey's are too cute!!!!!

If they are getting a bit adventurous, it's not a bad idea to lower their pouch.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/13/19 03:37 PM

So cute. You are very good at these videos.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/22/19 07:00 AM

So, the parents have take good care of the joeys and I didn't need any of my baby food so far or the bag of milk or tools.

Here is a short video I took a couple minutes ago.
Joeys still waiting to explore

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/22/19 01:29 PM

They are just adorable heart Mom and dad have done a wonderful job. So have you granddad wink Keep those pic and videos coming.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/22/19 08:04 PM

Oh my gosh!!!! They be looking up at you like "whas-dat???"

So cute!!!!!!

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/23/19 06:25 AM

I tried to get more footage but think the video is relevant either way. I think the joeys were suckling so I didn't move her.

Parents

Edit: the video is upside down. I thought my phone would figure that out.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/23/19 10:03 AM

Actually the video upside down is a unique perspective.

Have you considered using 1/2" PVC pipe for perches? The wooden perches don't last very long.

I cut mine to length and notched them.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/23/19 05:48 PM

Can they hold on the pic? These plastic ones I got are ribbed but seem awfully flimsy.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/24/19 12:31 PM

The PVC is slick. Having said that, mine didn't have any issues staying on them, and running on them. I don't recall seeing them jump from one perch to the other. The PVC pipe is easy to clean.

I did make fleece covers for them only to find that they pee on them a lot and have to be taken out and washed weekly. Eventually, I removed them never to replace them . I went to fleece cage sets with hammocks, bridges and vines.

Since then, I have built PVC pipe frame and 1/2" plastic mesh zip tied to it to make shelves for their feeding dishes (I have food aggression issues).

Over time you may evolve to other means of places for them to run, jump and hang out... it will be up to you and what you feel your gliders need.

I hope this was helpful.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 04/24/19 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ladymagyver
He also may be interested in in mating with her too, and she's not receptive to it yet.

So when they are mating do they stay connected for a while? Kalili was on Lutana back for a while last night. I mean she continued to eat and sip some water but he was there on her back. I got video of it but don't really want to post that.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 05/07/19 03:38 AM

So one of the joeys woke me at about 2am barking. It was down by the wheel while mom, dad and the other Joey were half way up the cage on the other side. Not sure if that one was just scared or what. By the time I got the light on and assessed the situation they all went back in the pouch.

But the good news is they are coming out and can climb just fine. Ears are perky and eyes open. I hope they come out when I put the food out in an hour or so.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 05/07/19 06:13 AM

Ok. So Dad went back to the pouch and Mom was foraging with some toys. Then I noticed this little one scraping at the wheel.

Joey

Naturally I paused the video record and didn't properly start it again as I waved my phone around. It is a her as I got a short look as I handled her. She is very pretty.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 05/07/19 01:46 PM

heart How can you stand it not to take that little one out and just love and kiss on her. I doubt mom/dad object at this point. Sooooo precious.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 05/07/19 02:56 PM

Your video wreaks with cuteness!!!!! I don't know how you remember to catch video. I just stand there awestruck...

I'm like Karen, how did you ever resist?

The Joey was scared, and unsure. He got in the wheel and it moved. It's so cute to see them experience something for the first time!

I'm glad they're out about!
Posted By: Xeno

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 05/07/19 04:52 PM

That is an adorable glider.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 05/09/19 02:34 AM

I did pick her up and determined it was a her. She was confused about the wheel.

Re: New Member Lucky w/Joeys - 05/09/19 02:32 PM

I did pick her up and determined it was a her. She was confused about the wheel.

That is different than what Dawn and I would have done though. We would have picked her up, check and then nuzzled her while smothering her with lots of kisses. See the difference smile
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL