GliderCENTRAL

Saccharin's a bit of a fatty...?

Posted By: Sabarika

Saccharin's a bit of a fatty...? - 09/27/07 03:29 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have comparative photos. And I'm fairly sure this is normal, but input would be nice because I haven't found yet a chart that demonstrates the weight ranges of gliders as they grow.. nor do I have a mg scale to weigh them myself yet. :3

My roommate and I noticed that Saccharin looks way bigger than Cedric. She almost has what looks like extra chub around her face, as well as being.. generally.. wider? I can't always keep track of how much each eats because I have to sleep, but it seems Cedric and Saccharin eat about the same amount of their BML diet a night, and Cedric seems to eat more of the fruits/veggies than Saccharin. I watch them play when I can, and they're both very active.

What is a healthy weight for gliders that are almost 18 weeks OOP? Does anyone have a link to a site that has a chart showing the healthy weights/weight ranges of gliders?

As soon as I get a scale I can update this with their real weights, or even take some comparative photos. I'm guessing she's just a little heavier than him, but when they're side-by-side she seems giant. tounge

(also, PS: I noted someone saying they fed their gliders pumpkin? is pumpkin safe? i don't think the canned kind is good, but if I bought, say, an organic/homegrown [no pesticides etc] pumpkin and cut it up, could they have a slice, or a seed?)
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Saccharin's a bit of a fatty...? - 09/27/07 03:45 PM

It's very, very hard to say what a "normal" weight range is, and can actually be a dangerous thing to do. Generally, gliders should be able to move freely, not have 'rolls', and the patagium (gliding membrane) should not feel fatty. I have adult females ranging from 83 grams (Gaea) to 194 grams (Clotho). Neither is fat. But Lyah, at 183 grams, is. That is because gliders are as unique in body size, distribution, and density as people are. Gliders SHOULD have a little chestiness (kind of look like they need a bra) when healthy-that is where they store excess fat against lean times in the wild...if a glider doesn't have that I consider them underweight. You don't want them having too much of that-like hanging over the edge of their food dish into their dinner, but you do want some. Plus, an 18 week old glider is still growing-and a diet, even if a bit overweight (unlikely-honest) would be a very bad idea when still developing.

If you're concerned, and on a good diet, limit treats. That's usually what packs on grams in the vast majority of cases. A picture would help, when you can get one. smile

And pumpkin (yes they can have canned) is usualy given as a fiber source for constipation (or diarrhea if not too bad). If your glider likes it, a serving a couple times a week in place of another veggie would be okay. Either canned or fresh-though I'd recommend cooking fresh a bit to soften the fibers in it. Hope this helps some.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Saccharin's a bit of a fatty...? - 09/27/07 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Xfilefan
Gliders SHOULD have a little chestiness (kind of look like they need a bra) when healthy-that is where they store excess fat against lean times in the wild...if a glider doesn't have that I consider them underweight.
I never knew that Jen! That's a very interesting fact and makes me think maybe Wiggles isn't as fat fluffy as I thought he was, lol...
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Saccharin's a bit of a fatty...? - 09/27/07 11:25 PM

Jen- thank you!

I have noticed that as my gliders mature, they seem to develop their chests. Linus is a candidate for a Man-zier, although he is not at all overweight.

I'm relieved to know it is normal! (sort of like the fat pad on cats ... it needs to be present, but not huge ... but THERE)
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Saccharin's a bit of a fatty...? - 09/28/07 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Sabarika

(also, PS: I noted someone saying they fed their gliders pumpkin? is pumpkin safe? i don't think the canned kind is good, but if I bought, say, an organic/homegrown [no pesticides etc] pumpkin and cut it up, could they have a slice, or a seed?)

Guilty. lol Yes, I'd said canned pumpkin is the ONLY thing in a can I use for diarreah OR constipation in a glider. It must be PURE pumpkin, NOT the pie mix! smile

There is a new pumpkin/pear all natural baby food that I found that my gliders LOVE. I add a little to their plain yogurt or on the side once in awhile. Of course, it depends on which diet you feed as to any extras you give them. smile
Posted By: Sabarika

Re: Saccharin's a bit of a fatty...? - 09/28/07 02:51 PM

Thanks for the responses, I'm glad to hear so much information. :3 I'll take photographs today if my roommate can hold them still long enough.
Good to know she probably isn't overweight. I appreciate the feedback!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL