GliderCENTRAL

E Collar Help!

Posted By: Anonymous

E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 04:42 AM

Tonight, I came to check on peanut, and was curious as to how her cast is. She's been chewing on it, and needs to stop. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow, but need to put an ec collar on her now. How do you hold a suggie still enough to put one on her? I've had an easier time giving Pickles Sub-q than hold her still. I've tried to put it on her, but everytime it gets around her head, she freaks and scrunches up. Help!!

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 04:51 AM

OH MY GOSH! I AM IN PANIC!! I just tried to make her hold still, and noticed the cast had been chewed into 2 pieces. She's going crazy. And underneath is the scariest thing I have ever seen. THERE IS NO SKIN! I seen her bone, and now I'm [censored] out. Everything's been fine until now. No nothing. I have no idea what to do to make her stop moving. She's walking around on it like it's nothing. I am [censored] out. Someone please help me!
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 04:57 AM

Wrap her up like a burrito in a piece of fleece so she can't do any more chewing, i'm going to look for a post with help!
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 05:00 AM

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/69788#Post69788

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 05:13 AM

Okay. I got it on her, but now she's going crazy. Never mind, she got it off. I have no idea what to do. She us getting the cast off from walking. I have no idea what to do. Someone help me please!
Posted By: LSardou

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 05:16 AM

Is there a vet local to where you can at least get a sedative to try and get her to relax? I would wrap her like BeckiT suggested until you can get an ecolar on her, otherwise she will cause more damage....

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 05:18 AM

It's 12:15 in the morning here. I have no idea where there could be a vet. And, my parents are sleeping. She has a fear of being held since she was mistreated by her previous owners, and is going psycho.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 05:25 AM

OK, there is no other choice at the moment, but you need to get someone to help you get an ecolar on her NOW!
Please call me and I will help get you thru it...
620-382-3228
Posted By: KattyM

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 06:09 AM

It looks like you're in good hands if you're talking to Linda now. You will probably have to wake up your parents, at the very least, to help you get the e-collar on. But do find an emergency vet—any vet will do in this situation—and have one of them drive you down. Imagine the pain your poor little girl is in. frown Imagine the pain you'd be in if you chewed through your skin to the bone. She needs pain meds or something to help her through the night. Maybe someone in your neck of the woods can help you locate a good vet. Here's what we have in our database for Kentucky.

Do keep us posted. heart

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 06:35 AM

Okay, I did what LSardou told me to and if it wasn't for her, I don't think I could've done it. She has no foot. While talking to her, I was trying to put on the e collar when the whole cast just slid off. And I have never seen a more scary sight then a bone with nothing on the end, the foot hanging by the muscle. I freaked out while on the phone. I managed to get the e-collar on, and did what I was told as to the foot. I have it wrapped up with neosporin on it in fleece. It took me a long time to get it, but it's on. She finally stopped moving, and is just sitting there. My parents took it worse than I did. My mom wouldn't come out of the room, but my dad did help me with the e-collar. I can't believe all this is happening. It's like a bad dream. I'm already not going to school tomorrow because I've had the flu, so I have no problem staying up all night. I know she's in pain because she bit me for the first time ever. I'm taking her to a vet tomorrow ASAP, but I have no idea as to what they can do. There is no way they can save her foot. It's gone pretty high up, so I don't know how their going to put something over it. I'm taking her to a different vet. If my old vet's cast didn't work, and this happened, I sure aint gonna take her there again, though their very good with suggies. She doesn't want to eat or drink, just get the e-collar off.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 06:46 AM

cry I am so sorry that you and your sweet little girl have to go thru this. I have to say, you did a great job with being calm and persistant with getting the ecolar on.
Please try and get some rest....many many hugs to you and your little one...(PS...your sister was great with helping too) hug2

If you have a syringe try and force feed her some liquids. Do you have Pedialyte? You can try and also liquify some of her meal to get her to eat as well. Tomorrow you can stop off at a pet store and pick up these
Feeders for Glider in ecollars

Please don't hesitate to call again if you need to, or if you just need to talk...

I'm going to move this to Health and Hygiene now.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 08:07 AM

I've been talking to sugar blossoms who's been talking to her-I'm swamped at work tonight. It needs cleaned, I gave SugarBlossoms a mild dish soap/water recipe to clean the wound-parents won't go for vet until morning. Trying to figure an acceptable way to get meds to this glider also. Infection is now the enemy.

Just don't wrap the wound-let the air get to it. Neosporin is good, also, but it needs cleaned before applying also to help avoid trapping bacteria under the ointment on such a large wound. Don't apply too much neosporin, either-just a thin coating. Keep her with you all night and do not let her chew on what's left of the leg. Amputation may be necessary at this point, but she should do just fine-many gliders have with 3 legs. But we're not there yet-for now just try and keep it clean and keep her away from it. Also keep her warm (which is why on you is preferable, to share body heat) to help keep her from going into shock. Keep her hydrated-push fluids and watery fruits as well. hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 08:12 AM

Betadine in the dish soap would be preferable, but if you have a dish soap with NO OXY anything, or bleach, put a little in a cup and mix with warm water. You want it just sudsy, not heavily soapy. HOLD THE STUMP and any open wound IN THE CUP for 10-15 seconds, then rinse well. Then apply a thin coat of neosporin with a qtip or cotton ball (the acids in your fingers could sting even thru the ointment-you don't want to touch it if you can avoid it...keep things as sterile as possible.

Temp wise on the water-you want it to feel to your wrist almost as if it's not there at all.

Also, DO NOT let them put another cast on there-I have a feeling it may have contributed.

And don't panic-we're here to help.

Also, the tape is the tricky part on the collars. Attach it to one side (I usually put it on the left) before trying to put the collar on the glider-once it's tight, just run your finger over to attach the other half of the tape. It doesn't need to be pretty or look perfect-it just has to stay on. Adjustments can be made later when she settles down. hug2
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 08:31 AM

Still on phone with Peanut's mom...she is in e collar now. She's mad, we are waiting on vet to open.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 08:37 AM

The glider's mad, or Peanut's mom? Normally I'd say to let the glider fight the collar on a blanket on the floor, but with the condition of the leg-I would not in this case. Have her keep holding her. You don't want any lint or debris in the wound. Holding her will also help her stay warmer and stave off shock. Like I posted earlier, have her push fluids-on a spoon. Canteloupe, grape, watermelon can be crushed and offered on a spoon also, or babyfood fruit.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 08:45 AM

e collar is back on...keeps getting it off.

glider is mad, glider's mom is upset..but calm now.

ignore all my punctuation...on 2 phones right now

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 08:46 AM

peanut ate mealies, had water...fell asleep for about a minute

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 09:03 AM

Sending e-hugs for Mom. hug2

Tell her to hang in there. As long as she's holding her, she can put the collar back on and keep trying. It's tedious, but eventually it'll stay. It has to be tight, and the nose darkening some is okay-red/reddish. It's blue you don't want to see-that means it's too tight and there's not enough air getting through.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 09:22 AM

Typing with one hand. Hard. Peanut is in e-collar sleeping finally. I think all her trying to get out of e-collar has her exhausted. Going to do the dish soap thing now that shes stopped moving. Finally stopped struggling against me. On phone with sugar blossoms while holding her. Is warm.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 09:30 AM

nose is pink. mom is trying to get a pic and upload it

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 09:58 AM

Peanut foot/leg

WARNING..GRAPHIC

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 10:03 AM

Poor baby! Looks like some of the toes are still there though-so that's very good! hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 10:08 AM

Yes, foot still there, but dead and hanging by who knows what.
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 10:08 AM

hug2 I hope everything works out!!! hug2
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 10:10 AM

sorry I have nothing else to offer **KNOCKS ON MAJOR WOOD** I have never had to deal with this situation.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 10:14 AM

Jen, no bone connecting, foot is just hanging. frown

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 10:48 AM

Then it's best for her it come off into healthy tissue. Infection wise, though-I had imagined much worse as far as outside damage. Not that it's in good shape by any means-but not as deep as I'd feared. That's good for how fast infection is likely to get in/spread, and the likelihood of shock, was the point to the comment. All it is now is a burden to her-it will also be easier to deal with for you both once removed and closed, than what you and she have been dealing with. Pain meds, antibiotics, and a collar while she heals, and she should do fine. The wound will be much quicker to heal than the break was also.
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 10:58 AM

Awww poor little peanut and momma. Just wanted you to know I am keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Anna
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 11:04 AM

Just wanted to let you know that you and Peanut are in my prayers hug2 You are doing a great job and you are in very good hands! I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this lately.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 11:55 AM

You've done a great job with Peanut through the night. I'm so glad that Linda, Jen and SugarBlossoms were able to help you get through all of that. hug2 to you for being so strong for your glider and for your quick thinking and action hug2 Please continue to keep us updated as we'll all be worrying about Peanut and keeping both of you in our prayers gangel

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 12:05 PM

Waiting to hear back to see about getting Peanut to the doctor. Peanut fell asleep finally and has been sleeping for a couple of hours on and off. She is drinking water offered and mealies, food too. She IS in pain, we know that.

The bone is showing a bit below the flesh part. (BAD example, but think of a chicken leg how the bone is sticking out) The knee is intact but nothing below the knee is intact except what appears to be muscle/cartlidge? (sp?)

Toes are turning black, at least one already has.

I will be visiting the vet that did this to Peanut shortly after Peanut is taken care of first. This is NOT going to happen to another glider at the hands of said vet!

Peanut's mom has been up all night holding her, hasn't put her down and is keeping the e-collar on.

Please pray for Peanut! Dr. Williams will be in her office within 2 hours. We just have to get her there. cry

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 12:06 PM

Been holding peanut now for 7 hours. And let me tell you, Sugarblossoms, LSardou, Jen, and coffee have been lifesavers. I have her eating apple pieces right now in my hand. Going to vet today if I can get mom to take me. Considering stealing her car if she won't. Just got off phone with Sugarblossoms. Peanut doesn't seem to even acknowledge the fact that her foot is seriously messed up. May end up getting vet who did cast to pay for this considering its partially her fault. Can't type much, using one hand cause i'm still holding peanut, cause i aint putting her down. updates later. oh, and wound has not bled and seems to have dried. Evidently she does have some feeling in foot. when i touched it a little while ago, she pulled back.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 12:12 PM

Is your mom up yet? Have her call me or I can call her. We need to get Peanut up to Dr. Williams ASAP. Infection is the main worry and shock.

She will go down fast if infection sets in.

Yes, the vet is responsible that did this. That will be taken of also.
Posted By: BCChins

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 12:37 PM

Keeping you both in our thoughts. You are doing a good job helping Peanut though this.

HUGS

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 12:44 PM

We are meeting at Jefferson Animal Hospital East at 9:30. After that, Peanut will come home with me till she is healed up. We will update as soon as we know what is going on with her leg.

Thank you e'one for being so supportive! hug2
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 12:52 PM

Thank YOU for going the extra mile for Peanuts and her mommy hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 03:26 PM

My heart and prayers are with you and Peanut this morning. I truly am so sorry that this has happened to your sweet little baby. Peanut is very fortunate to have you for her mommy! Thank you SugarBlossoms and Jen for being there too! You girls are wonderful! hug2
Posted By: Usha77

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 03:49 PM

hug2 and Prayers going out to you and Peanut. I hope she heals up quick. Bless you all for helping Peanut and her mommy! hug2 hug2
Posted By: MagicEyez

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 04:27 PM

Oh my gosh, Im so sorry to hear about this happening! I will be keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers ~ please keep us updated on how your baby is doing!!!! hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 04:44 PM

I'm hoping this little girl is at the vet getting taken care of. worried

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 05:00 PM

Jen, SuggieLuver4941 and SugarBlossoms are at the vet NOW! I just got off the phone with her, currently Peanut is under observation. They will not be able to do anything at the moment until they get her hydrated and some strength back. Surgery is being considered, and if Peanut regains strength they will go ahead and do surgery later this evening.
Will keep you posted when I hear more. Thanks Jen... hug2 Say a prayer for sweet little Peanut..she and her mommy need all the prayers and support that can be given right now.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 05:12 PM

Of course she's got them! Thank you for the update. hug2 Can they syringe feed liquids in addition to sub-q? Those actually get into the system quicker (and less stressful).

ALL my hopes are with this little girl!! She's been through SO much-some of it unnecessary and NOT her owner's fault. The first vet should either educate themself or NOT TREAT GLIDERS. This did NOT have to happen. frown

Linda...do you know if the one who did the cast is in the GC database? I'd like the information in PM to leave a review if so. THAT one is on my 'list'. mad Some vets shouldn't be, and others shouldn't treat animals they have either no interest in, or knowledge of. Gliders are NOT your typical 'pet', and can't be treated like it. I'm so mad over a number of things with this I could just explode (and most of it will NOT be posted)...again, it's NOT the owner's fault...just circumstance.

Will check back in a bit, then it'll be this evening.

You can call my cell if needed-I may not hear it (very tired), but I will keep it near.

My vet would also consult if needed-Dr. Harris-801-485-4736

Have they given her any antibiotics with the fluids?
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 05:12 PM

What a HORRIBLE experience! I'm so sorry you have to go thru this with peanut! You have shown to be an EXCELLENT sugar mommy!! hug2

You have been in great hands with all who have helped. I hope everything turns out better today and they get her on some pain meds.

I will be watching for updates! Hang in there, your doing great!

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 05:27 PM

Poor girl! Sounds like she is in GREAT hands! Heal up quick little Peanut!

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 08:26 PM

Oh wow, poor Peanut and Momma! Hey Momma, you're doing great though! Just hang in there, and keep the updates coming.
My prayers are with you guys. hug2

Linda, SugarBlossoms, and Jen, you guys are awesome. Thank god we have you guys on GC. hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 09:33 PM

Peanut is doing pretty good this afternoon. If she maintains her strength, and her vitals remain stable Dr. Williams will be taking Peanut in for surgery later this afternoon. So far the tissue above the break looks good. Her x-rays didn't show any further necrosis, however, she will not know if there is any tissue invasion until she does the surgery. So far she feels things are looking good.
Bailey, many prayers and blessings are with you!...Bridgett Bless you for being there with Bailey and Peanut. hug2
Posted By: BCChins

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 09:42 PM

Thank you for the update Linda keeping them in our thoughts.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/18/08 11:34 PM

I might not make sense becuase I usually don't when I wake up, but I'm updating you on Peanut. Last I heard about how she's doing was when LSardou called me earlier before I went to sleep, and that was the update that LSardou already gave in a previous post. I want to be at the vet's office, but that would do no good just sitting there. frown . If there's anything I learned out of this whole situation it's this

-You CAN'T put a cast on a sugar glider. Bridget uses a good example. It's like trying to mend 2 straws together by putting a cast over them. It's not going to work becuase there's no central thing connecting them making that bond.
-You'd be surprised by how much you feel like you can't sleep, but the moment your head hits a pillow your out.
-Gotta trust God and know he's got a plan. Otherwise you fall apart.
-I have gaurdian angels watching over me, that's for sure. Bridget's been there for me when Pickles got sick, taking care of him with me, then there when he died. She's helped me through the night (along with LSardou) with peanut keeping me reassured and stopping me from falling asleep while holding her. LSardou helped me from having a heartattack when I was on the phone with her (cast came off). LSardou has been a blessing to me. I know the Lord's made a way for Peanut to have a chance, and he used LSardou in a huge way. Jen, I didn't talk to you, but you talked through Bridget and helped me out last night with Peanut.
Thanks you all for being supportive and please keep having Peanut in your prayers. I think I'm going to be a nervous wreck until I hear from the vet again, but until then, I'm here unless I fall asleep at the laptop, which is possible. sleep

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/19/08 01:25 AM

Peanut will be going home tonight with Dr. Williams..Talk about a 'true and dedicated vet'! She didn't want to do the surgery today because she wanted to give Peanut another 24 hours to build up her immune system and give the antibiotics a chance to take hold. Peanut was drinking and eating pretty good this evening! Dr. Williams feels that she is a 'fighter' and should come thru the surgery fine. They are planning on surgery around noon tomorrow. Sending lots of Prayers to Peanut for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/19/08 01:46 AM

hug2 hug2 hug2

I just woke up, got about 3 1/2 hrs. sleep so I may fall asleep as Peanut's mom just said. (lol) I have to feed the glider kids now and will be back on here on and off.

How does a person say Thank You to an angel? How can we thank God "enough"? After today, I've learned I don't believe it is possible. There are some things in life we simply cannot give enough thanks for. If we can, I just do not know how and for that, I apologize. Say the word and it's yours by any means possible by me.

Many many HUGS

I will get back on this later...

Yes, Dr. Williams is an awesome vet. I'm praying hard for God to give her the healing hands Peanut so needs.

I will always see Peanut looking up with the prettiest brightest eyes. She IS a fighter. She is a dollbaby.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/19/08 03:16 AM

This is so good to hear! Prayers for Peanut hug2

Gliders just aren't built for a cast. I'd never heard of one going on a glider, so wasn't sure what to think-I couldn't imagaine it was a good idea, but I'm not a vet, either. But casting doesn't work with something as active as a glider-you just can't make them stay still in one-and that's necessary even for people. Even people can't walk around on a break in a cast until a certain amount of healing has taken place, a pin is in, or if the break is minor enough. You can't put a glider on crutches, either. Chances are, the broken bone abraded, possibly punctured, surrounding tissue, causing tissue injury/infection, and the leg started to rot in there with no air circulation. Pinning the leg (as Dancing's Spryte had done), closing the incision, and leaving it open to air makes a lot more sense with a glider. This vet needs to be told what NOT to do with a glider-common sense would say that would be a terribly iffy scenario-and unless the vet was willing to check/look in there every few days it shouldn't have gone on at all. frown I feel horrible for this girl (both mom and glider), and so bad I didn't voice my concerns over casting the leg, at least, or having it checked sooner. That may not have helped, but I SHOULD have said something. cry It really doesn't bother me when I'm wrong, but I didn't want to be close to right on this one, either-and did something I rarely do...told myself 'wait and see'-because I haven't personally had a broken leg, only been thru it with others by post and phone. frown

Bridget, can you confirm the vet name/clinic for me in PM? Linda sent me some info, but wasn't sure.

All my hopes and prayers are with Dr. Williams and Peanut. hug2 hug2

Posted By: KattyM

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/19/08 03:57 AM

W shock W! You guys are all amazing! heart I just witnessed a flock of angels hovering over Bailey and little Peanut. And she's in great hands now; what a blessing to find such a dedicated, caring vet. Sending my prayers that Peanut continues to gain strength and is in optimum condition for her surgery tomorrow. hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/19/08 05:11 AM

I'm glad to hear that Peanut is getting through this and will be able to go through with surgery. If she's been able to make it this far, I'm sure she'll pull through with no problem. You're an awesome mummy SuggieLuver4941, I honestly don't know what I would be doing in this situation. hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/19/08 05:18 AM

I think I've made it sound like I was all cool and under control in this situation. But you can ask LSardou. I was on the phone with her when the cast itself came off and I seen what was underneath. I freaked out. I mean, I went beserk. She had to tell me to calm down more times than I've ever been told in my life. So, if it wasn't for everyone on GC, I wouldn't know what I'd do either.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/19/08 05:37 AM

Of course you were wigging out, that's normal. Your baby needed you and you reacted. Even so, you're an awesome suggie mummy and you two are going to get through this one way or another. If it wasn't for the fact that you took the initiative to ask for help, make some calls, stay awake with your Peanut, take her to the vet, along with a couple of other things Peanut would have made a turn for the worse.

Keep the updates coming when you can get them, and much love to the both of you. hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/19/08 06:31 AM

I'm so glad Peanut is getting stronger and will be helped by a good vet. Both Mommy and suggie are amazingly strong and brave. I would've freaked out! I'm incredibly impressed by the support network here at GC and it makes me feel confident that if I ever need help I will be able to find it here.

I will keep Peanut and mommy in my prayers for a safe and speedy recovery.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/19/08 07:08 AM

Here is the link to a map for the clinic/hospital that put the cast on Peanut. The vet's name was Heather. There is one review on Google Mapsite, not a good one.

Shively Animal Hospital

I'm going to try and get some sleep so I can function more tomorrow. I know I'll be up and down so I'll keep checking here and of course messages on the phone in case I don't hear it ringing.

We are all praying hard for little Peanut and all her angels.

I'll see you later today Suggieluver, we'll get e'thing set up for your Emma Elizabeth (Liz) and Peanut.

hug2 hug2 hug2 to you all

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/19/08 11:14 PM

Peanut looks better, she was in an incubator to stay warm when we left.

She should be in surgery about now. Dr. Williams was still having her take antibiotics, her leg has some infection in it and she wants her to have the best chance possible before doing the surgery. The Dr. will be taking Peanut home with her tonight and keeping her with her until Monday as far as we know.

Dr. Williams says she ate very well last night and was surprised by how MUCH she ate! smile

I have things set up here at our house for Peanut when she is ready to be released.

Please keep praying hard for little Peanut, Dr. Williams thinks she has a very good chance of coming through this. We all have to believe this and pray. Peanut is a fighter. She has a mommy and grandma that loves her to pieces and a "Godmommy" (me) smile Lots of aunts, etc. An awesome Doctor and one very special ANGEL.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/20/08 01:13 AM

hug2 and continued prayers for Peanut & mom! I am so thankful for all of the resources and help that GC provides (not to mention the MANY Angels we have on here!) hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/20/08 01:37 AM

Peanut made it through the surgery!!!! She has an e-collar/Straight jacket (as Dr. is calling it (lol). Peanut is VERY upset about the confinement of it.

Jen, Peggy..please send your vet's numbers JUST IN CASE Dr. Williams may want to confer on calming Peanut down (on which med or dosage). I had read about Valium being used with some gliders. Not sure if she will need to call but would be great to have the numbers just in case. smile

Peanut is still going "strong" considering what she has been through. Keep fighting Peanut!!

We love you!!

HUGS to all her angels!

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/20/08 04:51 AM

Me updating on Peanut. I got a call from the vet after the surgery, then called LSardou and talked to sugarblossoms about how it went. She went through the surgery very well. Hardly any bleeding which made the vet very happy, no problems during the surgery, and overall the whole thing went smoothly as Dr. Williams said. Peanut is perked up a bit since the surgery, and I plan Dr. Williams plans on calling me tomorrow to see how she gets through the night. The only thing like mentioned before that seems to be a problem is her going psycho crazy trying to get the "straight jacket" off of her. I honestly expected that to go on for awhile considering her fight that night for 9 hours against the ecollar. Dr. Williams believes that she'll make it through the night okay, and that everything's going to work out. I think it's possible to have a heart attack at 14 though, because until I got the call from the vet, I was [censored] out. I'm so glad she called me right after it. I couldn't bear waiting for an hour. I really think all the prayers going out to her helped everything go so well. We had all yall on GC praying and rooting for her, and I had a chain here with my friends and family having their families pray too. So, thankyou all for being so supportive and praying. I know it's helped Peanut get through all of this.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/20/08 05:37 AM

Many prayers going out to Peanut for being such a 'trooper' thru all of what she has gone thru. I can honestly say, if Peanuts mom wasn't such a 'devoted', 'loving' and 'compassionate' (not to mention patient) mom, Peanut would not be with us today! hug2 A huge Thank you to SugarBlossoms for being there thur all of this with Bailey. You have been a guiding light for both Bailey and Peanut. hug2
I've spoken to Dr. Williams on several occasions during this, what a remarkable person. She has gone above and beyond her duties as a Doctor. Thank you Dr. Williams for taking such good care of Peanut! heart

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/20/08 05:44 AM

She wouldn't be here without you either LSardou. I'd say thankyou again, but I don't know how 7 letters can even begin to explain how grateful I am. But I'm gonna say it anyways agian; Thankyou so much LSardou. Dr. Williams really has gone out of her way with peanut, and I'm glad sugarblossoms got to me a vet that would do so much for her. And sugarblossoms, you have helped me more than I can even say. Yall are my gaurdian angels. angel

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/20/08 08:39 AM

i am glad to hear that peanut is doing great. please keep us updated

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/21/08 02:36 AM

No call from the vet in the middle of the night. And no call today. And she said that no news is good news. She's calling me tomorrow at around 11 she said last night. That's all I have to update right now!

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/21/08 05:47 AM

hug2 Thanks for letting us know. I figured that since you didn't hear anything that everything was alright. Good Luck tomorrow! I will be anxious to hear how Peanut did today.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/22/08 01:30 AM

Okay. Just got back from the vet, but am heading off to WalMart here in a second. Peanut is doing so amazing. I met with sugarblossoms up at the vet, and they took her out. The second she seen mommy she tried to get away from the vet to me dance so she missed mommy alot!! She had the coolest looking e-collar I've seen. It harnessed around her upper body, and had the holes for the arms. Around the neck, instead of coning out, the vet had it poof so she couldn't move her head to her leg or anything for that matter, yet could still see around her which the other style restricted her from doing. I was amazed at how well it was covered up. You can tell something happened, but it looks so good. They used surgical glue vs. stitching, so it's gonna heal up without hardly showing if at all. We think it's going to heal super fast, so I'm happy. I gave her a thousand kisses, and I think she got tired of em! Sugarblossoms has her, so I can't put up pictures. I only have them on my phone tant . But she's going to I think later on. I gotta go, so I'll post the rest later.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/22/08 01:41 AM

Never mind. I gave my mom the shopping list and I'm staying home. Anyways, I'm very impressed with Dr. Williams. She came to the office today with peanut even though it was her day off. She could have had us pick her up tomorrow, but went out of her way and came to the office for the day. She really is a amazing vet. I have to wait until saturday to see Peanut again cry and I don't know how I'll make it until then. But I know she's in good hands with sugarblossoms right now. I'd have her here, but she needs 24/7 care, and mom won't let me skip school like I want to to do that. Peanut is looking really good though. She walks all over people and uses it like there's a foot at the end of it. It's cut right above the knee it looks, though it was hard to tell with her pulling it back everytime I tried to see. She's doing so well, she makes mommy proud.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/22/08 04:25 AM

Peanut had to have a 2nd surgery this morning. She had some bone protruding that Dr. Williams was not comfortable with. It was app. a 15 min. procedure and then to close up the wound again.

WOW!!! Peanut looks SO MUCH BETTER! Her fur is back to normal too. smile

Her leg was amputated above the knee so she only has a small "stump" but I believe she will get around just fine. She can already get from one side of her incubator to the other and in her pouch.

She ate 1/3rd jar of chicken/w gravy baby food tonight, 1 squished pea, guts of 2 pieces of corn, 1 tsp. of Mango yogurt and a tiny bit of PML. She drank some spring water also.

She was in a bit of pain awhile ago so I gave her the pain meds. She had her antibiotic and a gel for keeping the "good" bacteria in her body since the antibiotic can remove much of it.

Peanut is asleep in her incubator now. I am checking on her every 15 minutes unless she makes a sound. (then I RUN)

This little angel is soooo SWEET! With everything she has gone through, she has a look in her eyes that says Thankyou. She hasn't even tried to bite once!

Bailey took pics at the hospital before we all left, we'll get those up and I will be getting some tomorrow too to show you. She has the cutest E-collar on! Imagine putting an innertube around your neck then attaching a "harness" down around your tummy under your arms. Now add some pretty surgical fabric with little smiley faces all over it!

The regular E-collars weren't working with Peanut, she fought them bad but isn't fighting this one at all. She IS trying to figure out why she can't get her hands to her face though! (lol) As long as she can hold onto something (my finger), she is fine and doesn't feel "lost" with her hands not being busy.

Bailey will get to see her on Saturday when she comes down with her mom. She's already counting the days!

Dr. Williams said if all goes well (and we are praying hard for it too) that Peanut should be about healed up in about 10 days or so!! Peanut has 2 new sisters she hasn't met yet, hopefully, that will help tremendously with her grieving process from losing her life mate Pickles. Peanut had overgroomed the top of her head and is missing fur above her eyebrows on both sides. It is also looking much better already!

Thankyou Linda. I hope you get to meet Peanut sometime. I know me and Bailey would sure love that. Angels need to stick together. smile

Thankyou to everyone for your prayers and or thoughts for Peanut. I can't say that enough.

MASSIVE HUGS

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/22/08 04:40 AM

hug2 Thank you for the update! I can't wait to see pics of her!!!! I'm just so HAPPY that the worst is over, and Peanuts is going to live a happy and healthy life!
I hope that one day we all will get a chance to get together!! I do have relatives down your way grin
You've been a real godsend for Bailey in so many ways...In my eyes your one special angel yourself!!!
heart

Originally Posted By: SugarBlossoms
The Best Things In Life Are Unseen

So True!!!!

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/22/08 05:45 AM

hug2 I'm so happy to hear she's doing well. I can't wait to see the pics! laugh

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/22/08 08:17 AM

Awww, happy tears!! jump I can't wait for pics!! Nice job! hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/22/08 04:52 PM

I am with you in heart and prayers hon will be home soon love ya keep up beeing a good mommie
LOTS & LOTS OF LOVE !!!!!!!! G-DEB

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/23/08 09:25 AM

hug2

Here is a picture of Peanut I took last night. I got a few but they are either to dark or too light. She wasn't liking it too well! It will be Saturday before I see Peanut's mommy to get the pics from the vet office off of her cell phone. I'll get more today though!

Thankyou from Peanut

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/23/08 11:13 AM

oh how sweet looking is peanut! thanks for sharing the pic. i've been reading this thread and i'm so happy that you were able to help peanut's mom out! thank you so much for taking the time and energy to go out of your way and help someone like this. i continually find people in the glider community that just amaze me with their loving and caring ways. it's a wonderful thing to see. i know peanut's mom will always be very greatful to you for helping her/them.

rho
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/23/08 11:21 AM

Awwwww peanut looks so sweet. You are such a good suggie momma. Thank you for the update and picture. I am so happy she is doing better. I continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Anna

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/23/08 01:47 PM

She looks so cute! I'm so glad she's doing well & has so many Angels looking out for her! hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/23/08 03:14 PM

Peanut is as sweet looking as I had imagined! heart Looking forward to seeing more!

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/24/08 12:53 AM

Just got on GC and seen the picture. roflmao Honestlty to me, she looks like she's about to attack the camera. I know that look personally. roflmao Oh well. Thanks for the picture, saving it now...
Bridget is doing so great with peanut. She takes care of her wonderfully like she's her own baby. I'm jealous that peanut actually crabbed there though. She never crabbed for me, and I wanted to hear it! blush Jealous....lol.
So...Thankyou bridget for doing amazing with peanut!! thanks

Countdown to getting to see peanut...

Wednesday-3 days
Thursday-2 days
Friday-1 day
Then Saturday!!!! dance

I have a countdown...just have to remember what day it is now to know when I'll get to see my baby again.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/24/08 05:54 PM

Checking to see if there is any updates on Peanuts today. I pray that she is healing and not giving Aunti B trouble grin
Anymore PICS? hug2 !!!
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/24/08 06:26 PM

Isn't it AMAZING what you can come up with for an alternative to E-collars? Hats off to the ingenious person who came up with THIS one! clap

As the old saying goes, "whatever you gotta do, you do". Been there, done that myself.

hug2 to all the angel angel involved in this.

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/24/08 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: minkasmom
Isn't it AMAZING what you can come up with for an alternative to E-collars?

That would be Dr. Williams after being up half the night with Peanut fighting the cone E-collar. smile

Linda, hubby came in for 2 hours off the road, he tried to get a pic for me. It's hard to see but look to the left lower of the picture. (our left, Peanut's right) Peanut has a stub there. You can also see the e-collar better. smile

Peanut's amputated leg surgery

This one is just cute

Peanut TOO CUTE

She is eating very good, not wanting as much fluids as I would like but loves watermelon so we are having fruit snacks, apple juice and yogurt. She can't hold anything due to the collar so our solids are hard to do but we are managing. grin

She won't be able to balance herself without her leg as it is very short, of course, she will adjust herself accordingly after the collar is off I'm sure. She still has not had pain meds since night before last so that is good. She does still have very very soft (almost runny) poo from the antibiotics. She has great grip with her left foot and both hands.

Any ideas for her to have something to do besides cuddle with her bear and me in the rocking chair? She can't do much of anything and I feel sorry for her watching the other gliders play. worried

hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/24/08 07:38 PM

THANK YOU for the pics and update. She sure is a cutie-pie!!! Bless her sweet little heart!!! hug2 heart Things sound like they are going pretty good, that is such a relief.....
Maybe you can cut up some strings of ribbon and have her pull/play with them..My one little fella LOVES to play tug-o-war with ribbon...for exercise, maybe you can try and have her do some stretching for mealies or a treat...
Did Dr. Williams say that she needs to be totally immobilized? If not, you could try and put some 'soft puffy balls' into a padded container and hide mealies in the bottom for her to try and find.
Looking forward to the next update and pics.... mlove

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/24/08 07:50 PM

hug2 Thank you Linda!! I'll try your ideas! She can push things around with her nose but since her hands can't meet up to her face, she can't see them. She can only grab onto things she "feels" like my fingers. I will do some stretching excersises with mealies and puff balls. I want to get her moving some. She can't get around to well at all with her "straight jacket" (lol)

I wanted to mention that her tail is getting fluffy too! She has major strength in it and I'll bet could carry some silk leaves and bunnies. smile

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/24/08 09:50 PM

Hmmmm....I wish I could help you on games. The games she liked to play with me were "Grande Escape" (Run from mommy and watch her try to catch me!!) and flying, especially on my bed. She'd crawl up onto my head, start lunging, then fly to the pillows on the other side of the bed. blush Scared me so bad the first time. If you want her to stretch, just stick a mealie in front of her. She absolutely loves her mealies and doesn't share. roflmao .
I'm so jealous....sugarblossoms gets to play with peanut and I don't! tant I think she might fall in love with peanut too and run away with her! She has that effect on people!! exclamation
2 days until I get to see peanut!! dance

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/24/08 10:34 PM

hug2 We're going to try the mealie stretches tonight. smile I have a few things to do first then it will be time to get her up for the evening. The problem is that she can't reach for anything with the "jacket" on. I'll give her some soft fluffy balls too and see what she can do.

She does sit and watch the other gliders and seems to enjoy doing that but I bet she is wishing she could play too so I take her and sit in the rocking chair. She LOVES to be rocked! heart

Me falling in love with Peanut is a given, already done that! As far as running away with her? Where on earth would I go with 21 gliders, a slew of other fur kids in a tractor trailor towing a mobile home, a car and a U-haul? Guess I could always TRY! roflmao

hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/24/08 11:00 PM

Me falling in love with Peanut is a given, already done that! As far as running away with her? Where on earth would I go with 21 gliders, a slew of other fur kids in a tractor trailor towing a mobile home, a car and a U-haul? Guess I could always TRY!

I can just see it now! roflmao
You can always run away up here to Kansas....
Just kidding Bailey...you know we love you!!!

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 12:42 AM

i'm so glad that peanut is doing so well. great job to everyone involved!

i have a question about the e-collar... do you think you could figure out instructions (items needed and possible way to do it) and post them as an alternative style e-collar? if so, i'd appreciate it... if not, that's ok too! it was just a thought.

rho

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 01:11 AM

It's so good to see those pictures of peanut doing well. She sure is a little fighter!

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: heavenlybean
i'm so glad that peanut is doing so well. great job to everyone involved!

i have a question about the e-collar... do you think you could figure out instructions (items needed and possible way to do it) and post them as an alternative style e-collar? if so, i'd appreciate it... if not, that's ok too! it was just a thought.

rho

Yes, I will have Dr. Williams show me how to make one step by step and post it. It will not be until next Thursday or Friday though. smile

Peanut ate 15 mealies! I know, I know, that's a lot but what she has been through..I couldn't say no this time! heart

Here are some pics of Peanut tonight. I got out a plastic dishpan, lined it with fleece and made her a mealie pit like Linda suggested. She had a ball in it! smile

Peanut hunting mealies!

Look what I found!!!

ummm, a little help please?

I KNOW there is more in here!

This is easier, I'll just climb right in!

Close up of amputation, looking good.

Thank you e'one. smile

hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 02:25 AM

Quote:
Guess I could always TRY!!

Quote:
I can just see it now!
You can always run away up here to Kansas....

AHHH!!!! I'm heading there to get her! I'm now convinced your gonna steal her!! roflmao

I told you earlier she is a mealie pig. And I wasn't a-kiddin'. If you keep offering them, she'll keep eating them. I absolutely love the picture of her in the bowl. I made it my wallpaper. Staring at her as my wallpaper makes it easier to get by until saturday.
2 days left!! dance

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 03:04 AM

Well Bailey, you can count on my not stealing her, I'm to far away... frown
But it sure would be nice if you guys could make it to the SGGA in July.... clap
SugarBlossoms...those pics are awesome! She is just so darn beautiful....Thank you!!! hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 03:52 AM

how cute!!! are those little puffy balls the kind they sell for cats? i think i've seen them at petsmart? i'd love to get some of those to put in with the plastic balls in the little barrel... i think our beanie girl would really love it! peanut looks so adorable. i'm so glad she's doing so well.

rho

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 09:54 AM

Be cautious with those balls-supervised play. Some of the threads are metallic, and could cause a blockage if they ingest a piece of one (and we all know gliders). Also, depending on what metals, could also make them sick if they chew too much on one, or get a piece off. I had some of the all foil-ish/metallic ones I got from someone-same thing for those.

She's looking GREAT, B!! More pics. smile

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 10:36 AM

They are the balls you get in the craft section at Wal mart in a bag. smile

Jen, ahem. Me? be careful? Supervised play? roflmao

I wasn't 1" from her the whole time! She even sleeps with me! (okay, so she's in a big aquarium "fitted" to the center of my bed with a vented top and locked, pillows and blankets all around her and NO, they CANNOT block her top vent cause after having 3 human kids and 3 "heart attacks" that lasted ..well..they are still going on..I can sleep with both eyes open, ears alert and ANYTHING that moves will cause me to bolt upright in bed immediately knowing WHERE the sound came from and from WHOM!) shakehead roflmao

Anyone know what it's like to sleep with an aquarium? grin

I told hubby he has to sleep on the couch when he comes in this weekend cause Peanut is sleeping in our bed. He just looked at me like crazy shakehead

Seriously though, yes, those types of balls are to be used under supervision only. I am only kidding around with Jen cause she KNOWS me. smile

Linda, I would love to go to the SGGA this year but most likely will have to wait until next year. We have some pressing things going on right now that will take much time to "fix". Of course, we never know how things may turn out so I'm keeping the idea open! My youngest daughter is moving back in and might be moving to Florida in July to finish college which means I will be going there to help her get settled in. We'll see how it goes. hug2

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: SuggieLuver4941

I told you earlier she is a mealie pig. And I wasn't a-kiddin'. If you keep offering them, she'll keep eating them.

Yes she will! The fun part is I have to hold them and know when to pull so she can get the guts out and not swallow the rest and I have to squish the guts out for her, rip mealies into, etc. I NEVER thought in a million years I could do this! It's EASY when you love someone and she is SO easy to LOVE!!! heart

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 12:38 PM

It's EASY when you love someone and she is SO easy to LOVE!!! heart

Ha! Welcome to my worldl! I'm still on to yall.... roflmao

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 02:32 PM

clown Linda, think we should tell her that we moved to Australia with Peanut? Naaahhhh, let's not tell her just yet! roflmao

Peanut! Come down from that tree!! grin

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 02:39 PM

OH Yes, Bailey we forgot to tell you that we took off Sunday morning.... roflmao Peanut is sending you lot and lots of kisses and hugs from abroad heart

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 05:05 PM

I might just steal her, too, if I had the chance! She's adorable!!! mlove

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 07:09 PM

Quote:
It's EASY when you love someone and she is SO easy to LOVE!!!

B, dear, isn't that true of all of them? mlove I've done that, cut them up in little pieces for Lyah (real ones), cut frozen pinky mice in half....we do what we have to do for our little ones-whatever it takes to make them healthy and happy! I never imagined I could, either-until I did it. If I have to, I have to. And so will you. smile That is what real love is all about!

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 07:10 PM

Good thing there's no law against murdering mealies, huh? tounge

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 09:06 PM

Let's all gang up and steal my suggie why don't yall? Sheesh. :rolfmao: But I aint gonna let you have her. And if she is in Australia, well then I guess down under I go. grin

Incase yall haven't been following.....

I get to see Peanut tomorrow!!! dance

Re: E Collar Help! - 01/25/08 09:39 PM

Bailey, I bet you are so excited!!!! Bridgett and I just returned from our kidnapping attempt.....Peanuts is all ready for you to see her tomorrow! Don't forget to get those pics!!!!

Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/25/08 09:44 PM

See part 1 Here

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/25/08 10:18 PM

hug2 Thank you smile

Here is a pic taken a few minutes ago of Peanut in her pouch with her Teddy Bear. I had to snap a pic before I got her up to eat. She's so pretty! heart

Peanut and her Teddy Bear

She actually had normal poo today too! Yay!!!

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/25/08 10:22 PM

Oh my gosh! She looks so sweet. Probably thinking what a handsome teddy bear!! Is she moving around okay to you? She looks like she's there in that position cause she can't move from it....lol. Thankyou for the pics! I love seeing my baby!!

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/25/08 10:49 PM

hug2 She is fine smile

Peanut was sound asleep when I took her out of the incubator and opened her eyes right before I took that pic. She got herself in the pouch and in that position with her teddy this morning. grin

She doesn't get around to well with the body harness and collar on but she can get around..believe me! LOL She has learned how to turn herself around in my hands to let me know..hey, I GOTTA pee and poo! roflmao You'll see what I mean tomorrow. wink

She figured out real quick that I had snuck vitamins in her chicken baby food last night and gave me "THE LOOK", she wouldn't eat it either! I had to make more for her without the vitamins...soooo, I snuck them in with her yogurt..that worked. hehe

Since she isn't on a normal diet right now, I am giving her Vionate and Yogurt. She is getting yogurt with every meal even if it's just a few licks.

Once the collar/harness comes off, she HAS to start eating her normal foods. She can't hold anything right now and it's impossible for her to spit out solids. I have to help her get the mealie left overs out so she doesn't choke. So far, so good! smile

Peanut had baby food chicken soup (pureed), macaroni and cheese (pureed), mixed veggies and mango yogurt for lunch. She's sound asleep now. She gets her next dose of Baytril at 9pm and dinner, 11:pm she gets her large drop of the gel meds, then it's playtime. smile

I was going to add baby Rice cereal to her food cause she has had the runs all this time but today she has normal poo! and boy did she poo! I would have been committed if someone had seen me sitting there all excited over it! roflmao shakehead

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/26/08 06:01 AM

She figured out real quick that I had snuck vitamins in her chicken baby food last night and gave me "THE LOOK", she wouldn't eat it either! I had to make more for her without the vitamins...soooo, I snuck them in with her yogurt..that worked. hehe

roflmao I know that look. When I first got the Vionate and rep-cal, I sprinkled it on her food, and it was like a staring contest at first! The only worse look that little girl can give you is if you take away her mealie!! Now that is a scary look!

YAY!!! I get to see Peanut tomorrow!! You all have no idea how much I've been waiting for saturday to come! And now that it has, I'm gonna make up for that week I couldn't see her. No see for a week = +1,000,000 kisses exclamation I'm gonna literally kiss her to death tomorrow!!
dance Bailey is happy!

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/26/08 08:02 AM

Peanuts mealie adventure and stretches! smile

Peanut's mealie adventure

Yummy!

Feeding me mealies

Stretch!!

I'm SO HAPPY!! (My favorite pic of Peanut!)

Aunt B, tell me the story about my Angel again, please? I love her.

ugh! The date and time reset...batteries had died and I couldn't figure out how to change it. lol

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/26/08 08:11 AM

awwwwwwwwwwwwww... peanut is so cute!!! and it sounds like she is doing really well!!! i know her momma is gonna be so happy to see her tomorrow! and she'll probably be so happy to see her momma too! auntie B, you've done such a wonderful job taking care of her and loving her so much. you've truly been a blessing in this little ones life. and i still can't get over how cute that ecollar is! LOL can't wait till you get the directions for that! lol

rho

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/26/08 11:52 PM

I'm anxiously waiting to hear how your visit went with Peanuts today!
Posted By: BlndGrl8

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/27/08 01:28 AM

Bailey I just now saw this thread about Peanut! I'm so so sorry she had to go through all of this. I know you were so scared but I'm so thankful that SugarBlossoms and LSardou could help you out and be there for you. God is with your little Peanut and she will be just fine before you know it. She is a strong little girl and she is so blessed to have you and all of the help that she had in her time of suffering.

Is Peanut getting a friend? Emma Elizabeth? How exciting! I'm so glad things are looking better for Peanut, she has been through so much. hug2 for you and Peanut!

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/27/08 04:48 AM

I got to see my Peanut today!! dance
When I got there, I got to meet all of sugarblossom's gliders. They are all such sweet hearts heart !! Then, I got to see Peanut. She still won't hold still for a second, unless she's pottying on momma roflmao . I thought she'd have a stub, but sugarblossoms is right; Peanut is a 3 legged glider. There is something there, but not nearly long enough to walk on whatsoever. But that doesn't stop her from fighting my fingers to get up to my shoulder. But she can't fly after this at all. Since their membrane goes connects at their ankle and wrist, and since there is no foot there is no place for the membrane to connect to. frown Peanut loved gliding. I'm gonna miss her flying from my head to pillows. But she still gets around pretty well. I'm sure she'll do better once she has that big and probably heavy ecollar off of her.
Sugarblossoms is taking VERY good care of Peanut. I know that she's in great hands there with her. thanks
I stole so many kisses!! exclamation Momma went kiss crazy!! I'd stick my face close to hers, and she'd reach in and kiss my lips. smile Then I'd kiss her head. I was so happy with all the kisses I got. She tolerated my kisses as if she knew I only had those few hours to kiss her.
Now, I just can't wait to get my baby back. Me and sugarblossoms might go to the flea market together tomorrow that sold RileyMae to us at 4 weeks old. tant That won't be very pretty...
Peanut's next checkup with the vet will be on this thursday. Her leg seems to be healing very well.
I got to see my baby today!! dance

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 01/29/08 12:51 AM

SugarBlossoms...do we have an update on how little Peanuts is doing today? Sending lots of hugs and kisses.... heart hug2

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/08/08 03:35 PM

I realized that I need to update yall on how Peanut's doing. The vet is amazed at how strong Peanut's tail is. She uses it as her 4th leg, and it's helping her out. Sugarblossoms says that she's doing very good walking on 3 legs now. She still wants to play, but is not allowed until it heals more. It's healing great though from what she says on the phone. She got a valentines bear, and loves it. She has a thing for bears. She takes them where ever she goes. cloud9 She's so cute. Sugarblossoms is going to take a picture for me, and I'll post it on here. She's getting very spoiled by Auntie B., and loves the attention. I'm just waiting for it to heal so she can get the ecollar off so I can get her home. I've been talking to SugarBlossoms so I always know how she's doing. She's still taking AMAZING care of her.

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/08/08 04:04 PM

i am so glad to hear that peanut is doing so great. hopefully she will be able tp come home with you soon.

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/08/08 04:14 PM

laugh Wonderful!!

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/28/08 01:03 AM

I come to you all more upset than I think I ever have here on the board.
I tried calling SugarBlossomes a few nights ago, and found it odd that she didn't call me back. Last night, I overheard my mom on the phone saying somethinga bout sugar gliders and how she'd "talk to me about it." At dinner, the news was broke to me.
I have to make the hardest decision of my life. Peanut is not doing good. The vet took her ecollar off her, and the hair there has been rubbed off. But by what Bridget has said, it's growing back well, and she doesn't see any "bald spots."
But there's alot wrong. They found out she has a UTI. Then, they found out the reason she broke her ankle in the first place was because she has something wrong with her, making her bones brittle. They don't know if she was overbred too much before she came to me, or if it was because of her bad diet she was on before. They know though that if she had stayed at the flea market person I bought her from before, that she wouldn't have made it until now. cry .
So now, I'm having to do this. She needs 24/7 care for the rest of her life. As you all know, I'm in school, and can't do that. I would skip all that school if I was allowed, but that isn't. Now, I have to tell her to keep Peanut. My baby girl. I'd be allowed to visit whenever, and see her all the time. But you all have no idea how bad I was looking forward to my baby to come home. Now, she won't. I'm scared that her living with Bridget will let her forget me.
I don't want to give up my baby ever. But I know it's not what I want, but what's best for her. cry
I hate that the update is so sad, but I'm heartbroken. I know Bridget would take the same amazing care of her, but you all can understand how this is hurting me. cry cry cry

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/28/08 01:17 AM

Awww Im so sorry to hear that. Just know our thoughts an prayers are with you!!!
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/28/08 01:34 AM

I am so, so very sorry. You are doing what is best for her, even though it is tearing your heart out. I'm glad you will be able to see her, so maybe she can have the best of all worlds, with your visiting her, and her getting the care she needs. I am sure she will not forget you!
Posted By: tngliderlover

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/28/08 01:44 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this. You did the right thing for your baby even though I know how painful it is for you. *hugs* hug2

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/28/08 02:25 AM

Sweetie, NO WAY can Peanut forget you! We aren't far apart and you can see her as often as you want/can! When the weather warms up soon, you can see her even more. I will also be sending pictures via email and we can talk on the phone smile

I am also making up pics for you to put in REAL picture frames. I have a photo maker, not printer but actual PHOTOS.

Peanut will do well, she has all of us taking care of her and has SO MANY people who love her!

She IS living because you got her away from the breeder/seller who had her. We can never ever thank her angel enough either.

I wish we knew more about her and why she has these soft bone issues along with other problems.

Dr. Williams said she wishes she knew more about her past and even app. her age. All we know is she is an older glider but not how old. She may have been used as a breeder and when she stopped having joeys, they put her up for sale. Lots of breeders do that, why, I have no clue. It's like the animals become disposable when they no longer meet the breeders' "needs" (wants is more like it).

Peanut has had lots of stress both physical and mental. She will overcome the mental eventually and we are praying she will live many more years.

She is NOT in any pain right now. I knew immediately something was wrong the night she cried out, I went to her and she had peed on herself some a thick liquid. It was a UTI and she was treated ASAP.

I moved her to the living room sweetie and "I" moved in there also. (lol) I sleep on the couch now app. 5 feet from her WHEN I sleep.

She has gained only the 10 grams since before losing her leg and is now up to 62 grams. (without her leg) She will gain more weight but I don't want her to gain it too fast or too much and put any undue stress on her bones.

Don't worry about her falling either. I have her little "house" so booby trapped even a mouse couldn't fall in it.

All her scabs are gone now, no worries about her biting herself by overgrooming them.

You will ALWAYS be her mommy! She only knows me as Aunt B...the strange lady who talks to her constantly and packs her around...wakes her up every 4 hours to eat and probably wishes I would just let her sleep!

hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/28/08 02:26 AM

hug2 You might be seeing her even MORE often. We are thinking of moving up that way if we can find a house up there smile

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/28/08 03:08 AM

I just want to see her all the time again. But we don't always get what we want. I'll live.
I know you take amazing care of her. THAT I will never worry about.

Your moving close possibly? dance That's the best news I've heard all year. My year so far has been a little tragic, so this is big for me. smile

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/28/08 04:10 AM

hug2 I know it's hard, but you have Peanuts best interest at heart and that makes you a wonderful mom. hug2
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/28/08 04:16 AM

hug2 I know it's hard, but you've made a good decision here (I know you know that, too). You are really putting the glider first here. hug2

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 02/28/08 04:22 AM

We are going to try to move up there, it does depend on what we can find of course. smile In the meantime, we are still close, thank goodness not states apart! smile

Re: Peanuts Update (E-Collar Help) Part2 - 03/28/08 02:49 AM

Updates considering I haven't in awhile.
I haven't been on in forever because of the staph infection I got. frown It was recurrent 3 times over the period of a month. I wasn't allowed to play with my gliders or hold them either. Now that is a looooonnnngggg month.

Peanut has been doing fairly good from everything I've been hearing from sugarblossoms. I really want to come and see her this weekend or next weekend. Any time for that matter. I seen a slideshow of pictures she's in, and it made me want to see her so much more. I love that she's happy, but hurts that she's not here. Sugarblossoms is taking amazing care of her, and I know Peanut will always be happy as long as she stays there. I just wish there was some way for her to come home to me. cry

But as of now, I have only heard that she is doing good. So that's good news.

And sugarblossoms, yahoo mail is working horribly for me. So I think I'm going to get another email address. I'll call you tomorrow though to see how she's doing!

And Linda, everyone here says hi!! grin

© 2024 GliderCENTRAL