GliderCENTRAL

Satellite vs. Cone

Posted By: angelic4296

Satellite vs. Cone - 06/22/08 03:13 AM

Could someone just post the links on how to make each of these e-collars (I want to be able to know how to use both) and explain the pros and cons of each?? When do you use one versus the other??
Posted By: gliderdad79

Re: Satellite vs. Cone - 06/22/08 04:45 AM

You can find one of the ecollar directions here http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/69788#Post69788

Re: Satellite vs. Cone - 06/22/08 07:17 AM

is one better than the other, though? what are the uses for each and does one have an advantage over the other??
Posted By: sugeebaby

Re: Satellite vs. Cone - 06/22/08 12:56 PM

The satelite dish one is not oen you canmake at home. The advantage to it is that you can put it on by yourself. It uses snaps so you can put on and take it off easier. You don't have to modify your food bowls. I used my regular food bowls for them to eat out of. I sell the satelite dish collars if you want one of them you just have to email me.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Satellite vs. Cone - 06/22/08 03:45 PM

Quote:
The satelite dish one is not oen you canmake at home

Yes, satalite style ecollars CAN be made at home. They just won't have the snaps on them like the ones Karen sells. I have always made satalite style ecollars for my gliders because I've never had luck getting a shot glass style to stay on the gliders.
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Satellite vs. Cone - 06/22/08 07:22 PM

To answer your question, Angelic, as to which one is used for what....

There is no specific situation where you would use one and not the other. A tail-end injury is easier for a glider to get past a shotglass (unless you make it long enough for them NOT to be able to get their tail past it...which presents its own problems with your glider's ability to eat!) A satellite collar is especially good for SMing gliders because they can't get to their bellies/cloacas and do any more damage.

A satellite collar CAN be made from a butter bowl lid...but it takes a lot of time adjusting (clipping and fitting) the center hole for the neck size of your glider (unless you use one of Karen's with the snaps...and that requires fore-thought to BUY ONE BEFORE YOU NEED IT). And the shotglass style has its drawbacks because it, too, takes time to fit it to your glider's neck. MAKE IT BEFORE YOU NEED TO USE IT!!

One thing I've learned with (waaaay too much) experience: If you make your own shotglass e-collar from the instructions on SugarGliderSuz' website....when it talks about laying down the double-layer of molefoam on the shape you cut out of the plastic film: allow 1/4" from the starting edge, so there's just a LITTLE overlap space when you're wrapping it around your glider's neck. This 1/4" will make it a little tighter & prevent it from slipping off so easily. AND...put a little piece of duct tape at the top of the e-collar where the overlap is, too. This will keep the e-collar on a little tighter. The overlap should be positioned between the glider's shoulders in BACK. It's very difficult for a glider to reach THAT FAR back & loosen it up.

Posted By: Xglider

Re: Satellite vs. Cone - 06/22/08 07:25 PM

Minkasmom .. that is a great answer !!

my short answer would have been ...

The one that works! ... lol.. and Pray you never need one ... I have several of the pre-made shot style from Jen and lyckley have not need them .. and hopping it stays that way... smile

Re: Satellite vs. Cone - 06/23/08 04:21 AM

Alright I PM'ed Karen about the satellite collar...does anyone know anyone on here who makes the shotglass style?
Posted By: Trigger

Re: Satellite vs. Cone - 06/23/08 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: angelic4296
Alright I PM'ed Karen about the satellite collar...does anyone know anyone on here who makes the shotglass style?

Xfilefan (Jen) makes them
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL