GliderCENTRAL

Velcro E-Collars

Posted By: sugeebaby

Velcro E-Collars - 07/28/10 07:37 PM

I decided to start a new thread so we could discuss the different collars.
i am not selling to the general public the velcro collars at this time. Cora went public about 2 months ago about the hazards of the velcro collar. Scared a lot of people. Not realizing that it was the only collar Spencer liked. Mary ,Val and Elena all know how to modify the collar to make it safe. Once you know the fit of it on your glider you need to make it safe. Unfortunately there are way to many people in the glider world that will just slap that collar on and let the glider go. none of us want that 2am call that my glider got stuck to his collar.
I know they are the lightest collar to have but i still feel in an emergency where you need to put a collar on quick the snap one would be the collar you keep in your medical kit.
just remember if you go on line and buy them you still have to modify them to work for gliders. i'm not wanting to corner the market in selling these but with the snap and velcor collar you just cant run to your vet or go on line and pick them up with out modifying them to fit gliders.
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/28/10 08:04 PM

Good thread, Karen! Personally, I prefer the snap collar to the velcro. It's easier for me to use. The velcro is hard for me to readjust, if I don't get it right the first time. It is, however, so much lighter than the snap collar, which is perfect for long term useage. If I had to have a glider in an ecollar for any length of time, I would use the velcro. For 1 or 2 nights after neutering or something where they healed quick, I'll use the snap collar.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/28/10 08:05 PM

Items should be used properly, but sometimes they are not.

This is why Bourbon stresses so often to contact her, or someone familiar with her Pouch Protective Pouch method, instead of just purchasing the pouch. The pouch alone does not make for happy gliders and happy people, it's a package deal of working together.

It is good to know that velcro collars are available, if necessary, and several people with the experience to use them.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/28/10 09:02 PM

I have both snap and Velcro E Collars and thankfully I haven't had to use one yet.

The Veterinary college gave me the Velcro collars that I have and I got the snap collars from TGI.

The only time I had a glider in an E-Collar was when Chewie came home after his neuter and they put it on him at the Vet college, around his little waist. Poor guy, they knocked him out, took a way his manhood and sent him home in a plastic skirt. At least that is how all the men at work saw it. LOL
Posted By: Cora

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/28/10 09:17 PM

I asked Karen E to merge the 2 threads. I did not realize we were chatting in Classifieds, sorry! I posted the warning awhile back so people would know to watch closely and alter as needed.

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/29/10 12:04 AM

Nothing against you Cora but there are more people that wouldn't take the time to make the collars safe than you realize. And I do not want to take the chance of a glider getting hurt from a collar I sell.
If there is anyone out there that wants the velcro I will sell it but you really have to know how to use them.
Posted By: kelii

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/29/10 02:10 AM

What's wrong with velcro collars?

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/29/10 12:11 PM

there really isn't a problem. You have to put the collar on adjust the fit then take it off and cut the loops off the hard side of the velcro. If you don't do that there is the potential that the glider can get his teeth or nails caught in it. you can tell people to do that but my experience with people is some won't pay attention to the warnings and stick the collar on. then I get a call at 3am that the glider is stick to the collar. I would rather not take the chance that someone doesn't do what the are suppose to.
If you take the precaution they are not unsafe. They are lighter weight for the glider to wear.
Posted By: wildlifeangel

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/29/10 01:10 PM

interesting... but how are you supposed to adjust the snap collar? I used them a few times and I only needed to put a piece of silk tape around the outside to insure that it stayed shut... was there something else to modify?

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/29/10 01:23 PM

the snap collars have three snaps. you can adjust them using the different snaps. I add mole skin to the neck opening and we have to cut them down when I get them they have two rows of snaps and you have to measure out from the neck opening and cut other wise it is so tall the glider can't get to his food or water. If you cut to much they can still Sm if you don't cut enough they can't eat and drink. It took a lot of modifying to get the right length.
Posted By: wildlifeangel

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/29/10 07:36 PM

okay. I guess the ones we got are pretty fool-proof. There is only one row of snaps, and there is already moleskin on the inside. laugh
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/31/10 04:45 PM

My vet doesn't have Good e-collars for Gliders. I am getting both my boys neutered on Wednesday and am in desperate need of a couple of collars. I am moving this Monday so I don't have time to experiment with making a couple of collars myself. Can anyone please help with a number or place I could buy two collars on short notice?

Thanks
Jo
Posted By: gliderdad79

Re: Velcro E-Collars - 07/31/10 05:25 PM

You can find them at http://thegliderinitiative.org/store/store.php I would email them to see if they can mail them to your vet since your in the middle of moving wink
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL